how many on here are a machinist?

03whipedsnake

Established Member
just wondering, I am 18 and just got my first job at a machine shop in the cnc dept. there. I really enjoy the trade and I know there is allot to learn still. Im just curious to see who on here is one.

Jroc

Established Member
I are in the Tool and Die trade.

Been doing it for 5 1/2 years. I do manual machining though, as CNC isn't my nack. I'm one of those people who learns stuff really easily if it interests me, but if it doesn't I have a hard time picking it up. I could never retain G and M codes, and how to write sub-programs and all that other CNC stuff when I was in school.

Good luck with your career.

slick4_6

Established Member
I am. I got a 2 year Associates Degree in machining including CNC and CAD/CAM. I have been doing it for 7 years now. I enjoy it and learn something new everyday. I am the 2nd shift supervisor/2nd shift lead tech so I get to do something different everyday.

slick4_6

Established Member
I are in the Tool and Die trade.

Been doing it for 5 1/2 years. I do manual machining though, as CNC isn't my nack. I'm one of those people who learns stuff really easily if it interests me, but if it doesn't I have a hard time picking it up. I could never retain G and M codes, and how to write sub-programs and all that other CNC stuff when I was in school.

Good luck with your career.

I am just the opposite. I picked up quickly on the CNC side so that is where all my experience is at. You can make some money in tool and die if you are good. I prefer making an actual finished product where the tolerances are not so tight. +/-.005" is about as close as it usually gets for me.

Jroc

Established Member
I am the 2nd shift supervisor/2nd shift lead tech so I get to do something different everyday.

Me too. :beer:

The old 2nd shift lead man joined the Army at the age of 38, and I took over from him about 2 1/2 months ago. Got me an apprentice I'm training thats still in school. Doesn't seem long ago that I was an apprentice myself. lol.

Jroc

Established Member
I am just the opposite. I picked up quickly on the CNC side so that is where all my experience is at. You can make some money in tool and die if you are good. I prefer making an actual finished product where the tolerances are not so tight. +/-.005" is about as close as it usually gets for me.

I think CNC is where its at for young people. A few years ago I got layed off from my job for almost 10 months, and couldn't find a manual machinist job to save my life. It seemed like all the manual jobs were taken by older, more experianced people who didn't know CNC either. I had several very good paying job interviews, but they were all CNC jobs, and I had to tell them that I could come in and learn it, but that I wasn't experianced in it. Luckily I got called back to my job. I had to run presses for a while.

MystictealLt1

Established Member
Ive been working in a machine shop for 4 years so far..all manual machines,its a interesting job i think

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've worked with a small lathe before (my dad's) and a mill.. (neither CNC) I do remember him saying that it took a real machinist to setup a CNC machine, then a monkey could operate the CNC machine after that..

He learned the trade as a MR(Machinery Repairman) in the Navy, then worked for ElJay in Springfield Oregon, working on rock crushers..

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
Did tool & die , lathe work and started with some minor servo machine set up and programming before I decided to pursue a career In public safety . I liked the income and loved the engineering and mechanical aspects but was tired of the daily grind and smelling like machine oil . My bro still does it full time and has mastered CNC and STAR programming and set up..... He makes some nice coin.

Last edited:

03whipedsnake

Established Member
wow quite a few, I am only 18 and mostly just run parts now but I learn new things everyday. so far i dont know alot of the G and M code programming but I have used conversational a bit. I found out the place i work at has compensation for school if you have good grades while you work full time so I think thats the route im taking. Ive always loved working with anything mechanical, metal, or just something to make and I liked how this was a challenge and everyday isnt the same. I think i am going to go for mostly cnc and cad/cam stuff but I really enjoy the manual machines.

Blackness03

Established Member
i went to school and got my certificate then landed at job as an aprintice. i just finished that up and now i am a machinist 1. i like it but i dont know if its what i want to do the rest of my life. we do mostly one off parts on manual machines but we do have a conventional cnc lathe and mill

Blachatch

Established Member
wow quite a few, I am only 18 and mostly just run parts now but I learn new things everyday. so far i dont know alot of the G and M code programming but I have used conversational a bit. I found out the place i work at has compensation for school if you have good grades while you work full time so I think thats the route im taking. Ive always loved working with anything mechanical, metal, or just something to make and I liked how this was a challenge and everyday isnt the same. I think i am going to go for mostly cnc and cad/cam stuff but I really enjoy the manual machines.

how did you get a job with no experience? This field really interests me i just cant get myself to get back into school for 2 years.

03whipedsnake

Established Member
how did you get a job with no experience? This field really interests me i just cant get myself to get back into school for 2 years.

Im in high school but my junior year took the precision machining class offered and I did well that year so now (senior year) I can work out of school and get all my credits and also college credits.

Users who are viewing this thread