How much do you tip in these situations?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I never tip carry out, 20% or so on everything else. There are a few places I regular where I'm friends with the bartenders and I'll tip them 30-50% depending on where the total is. I'm usually getting free beer and things though. I have no problem stiffing a waiter and telling them why now that my patience for shitty people is at an all time low these days.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

DropSVT

Established Member
I go out to a place thats cheap and excellent service to where you know everyone even the cooks and the meal is usually under 20 bucks. Ill always tip THEM 5 or more but any other spot i double tax. If its cheap give em atleast 4 bucks

Sent from my LGMS428 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member
I tip depending on service and on how happy the waitress is.

We've got a few spots we hit every week, and I tip well there. Usually 40-50% or more, as they take care of me (half prize appetizers, charge me for every other drink, etc)

nxhappy

Established Member
I tip depending on service and on how happy the waitress is.

We've got a few spots we hit every week, and I tip well there. Usually 40-50% or more, as they take care of me (half prize appetizers, charge me for every other drink, etc)
WTF? That won't happen in CA....ever LOL

Coiled03

Established Member
Never tip take out.
Other times, generally tip starting at 20%. Could go up or down, depending on service.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't tip on take out, but on the rare occasion we do eat at a restaurant I will tip 15-20%. Usually closer to 15% because its usually just mediocre service. No one is happy here, lol. I will tip more than 20% if we really liked the server.

Black2010

Established Member
Shoot, tipping is out of hand and by reading this thread it proves it even more. Now everyone is expecting a tip for doing the job they are paid for. The only exception to that is wait staff (or other professions that make less than min wage). If you make a full wage then I'm not tipping unless you did something above and beyond. If I order take out and you bring it then you just did the job you were being paid for which I already paid for in paying my bill.

I do believe in tipping for good service (I waited tables for 4 years in college) but with the attitude of most wait staff these days it's hard for me to give a good tip. Maybe it's just my location. Things normally go like this:
- Get sat and wait 10 mins to get my drink order taken.
- wait another 10 mins to get my drinks
- order taken
- Wait 30-45 mins for food (not all waiters fault). Don't see waiter again until food is delivered while my drink is empty.
- Food is brought to table (normally a runner)
- wait 10 mins for the waiter to check on us. Ask for a refill on my drink (customer should never have to ask for this)
- wait 10 mins for the waiter to refill my drink
- finish eating and have to wait for the check, but finally get it
- put my CC with the check and wait for the waiter to come back
- waiter comes back with the paid bill
- we leave and BEFORE WE REACH THE DOOR the waiter is picking up the bill to look at their tip and leaves all plates for the buser.

In the whole time, the only quick response of the staff if to see their tip. This is normal behavior where I'm at and no it's not because we are bad tippers (happens even on the first visit). Staff feel entitled to their tips now and that is because we allow them to be.

Sorry for the rant but tipping gets under my skin especially since I came from the industry and I know how hard I had to work for 10% tips vs how little they do today and expect 20%+.

Zemedici

Established Member
Shoot, tipping is out of hand and by reading this thread it proves it even more. Now everyone is expecting a tip for doing the job they are paid for. The only exception to that is wait staff (or other professions that make less than min wage).

what the **** do you think we're talking about? Tipping the mailman?

and @nxhappy bro you need to come hang with me in Atlanta! hahahaha

CV355

_
Established Member
Basic Lunch, roughly $7 or $8, I tip $1. If there's no real service, the tip isn't really... a tip. Right?

Going out to eat for dinner? 15% for average service, 20% for good service. Simple, works.

I have only not tipped twice. One time my wife ordered a house salad without eggs. Salad came with eggs. I told the waitress (very politely, mind you) that my wife requested no eggs on the salad. The waitress gave me an attitude "it's a HOUSE salad. It comes with eggs. Learn to read. Ugh." $0 tip.

The second time was at Quaker Steak. I love wings. I love unlimited wing night. Of course, one time we got a waiter who was clearly high as **** and spent more time wandering around looking at his phone than getting us our wing orders. Every wing we got was cold and I clearly saw him pick a juicer from his nose. Bastard probably kept forgetting about what he was supposed to be doing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've occasionally left abnormally high tips. One instance was where this nasty obese redneck family behind my wife and I were being awful towards the waitress. The mother (who looked like that fat slug from Honey Booboo) would lie to the waitress about her order, get free sides, and then pull other waitresses over to complain that she never got her food so they'd bring more. They had a bill of over $150 and left 0 tip, then verbally trashed the waitress on the way out in front of everyone. I pulled the waitress aside afterwards (she was in tears), told her to ignore the fat nasty slobs who were headed for an early grave and slipped her $50.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I rarely leave full tips, if ever. Why you ask? I hardly ever receive really good service. If I have to ask for a refill after you've walked past my table a few times I make note of it. This happens all to often to me. It's like they expect a bad tip from the get go and give poor service.

I did go to Old Chicago for lunch Monday. Bill was $19.xx, I left $25.00. Bartender was cool, talked to me about rugby of all things.

cj428mach

Established Member
bill is $1,500....you guys tip 300? LOL

I agree that as the bill goes up the percentage goes down. I don't go out and eat $100+ dollar dinners but if I did I'm not going to be tipping $30 for waiting my table. The only way I'd go for that was if I spent several hours somewhere and kept ordering stuff to keep the waiter busy.

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
I utilize a booth for 2 hours during peak breakfast times and only drink coffee. Of course free refills. I'll leave 20% on my $1.18 bill but ONLY if the coffee is hot and it doesn't stop coming.

Users who are viewing this thread