How much hp can stock engine take?

californiacuda

Established Member
Manleys says the ford gt rods and pistons can take 1000hp, I wonder how much the stock 500 engine can take?

broeli

Established Member
The GT500 does not have the Ford GT rods. The Shelby is said to be good for about 600hp before the rods would need swapped

bubbrubb

broeli said:
The GT500 does not have the Ford GT rods. The Shelby is said to be good for about 600hp before the rods would need swapped
only 600? rear wheel or crank?? I hope for our sake that you are wrong :nonono:

what will it cost to get better rods and have them installed professionally?

earl lee

Established Member
VelociTT said:
only 600? rear wheel or crank?? I hope for our sake that you are wrong :nonono:

what will it cost to get better rods and have them installed professionally?

However much it cost to due a fully built term id imagine. Would suck for alot of people if that is crank hp.

jman345

Banned
I know not many people take me seriously but this is the truth i saw a video on a mustang forum and it showed the chinese guy whater he is but anyway him and some people that built the car and a reporter guy they let in asked one them if the shelby would be able to go pass the 600hp real easy and the guy said yeah for sure then he said they got the 03 cobra in the 600hp range easy so the shelby will be easier to get in the 600hp range i also have the video of it if no one believes me can someone put it up on here so everyone can see it cause i dont know how too.

jman345

Banned
Damn i cant find the video on my hotmail i must have deleted it damn but they said it would be easy to get the shelby in the 600hp range so thats all that i care about i know someone who has a new saleen its supercharged and it has 600hp on it and he said he wants to get it to 700hp now if that car can get that high when it was a 325hp car stock then i really believe the shelby can get higher then 700hp since his has a 4.6 liter is it isnt that what the new saleens have but anyways if he can get that car to 700hp then i know the shelby will get higher.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
Damn dude... learn pronunciation when you post. It gets really annoying to a lot of people that read what you post as one long run-on sentence.

The key to "engine longevity" in these cars is how well the tune is. Even stock Terminator motors have given in at less than 600 hp, some have not. The engine in my car is still as delievered by Ford (from the lower intake down) and makes in excess to 600 at the tires and has a little over 33,000 miles on it. There are quite a few people that I know of that will tell you that 600 horsepower to the wheels in a stock Terminator engine you are asking for a rebuild in the long run. That to me will be a true testament to exactly "how good" these motors are even if they have all the "forged stuff" in them that we've heard about.

As far as cost wise to pull a motor down and changing the rods... you're looking at over 1000 dollars in labor, probably more than that plus the cost of whatever rods/other parts you go with. Depending on how good the stock pistons are in these motors it might be a wise idea while you're at it to upgrade those as well. I'm sure Ford will be building these motors with the same shitty piston wall clearance on the Terminator motors... and that is something that could definitely stand to be changed on a rebuild.

Shannon

jman345

Banned
Fourced im sorry i thought this was a car forum not a learn how to put punctuations forum if you can read it which you can or else you wouldnt have responded to it then thats all that matters right. And thanks for the info and like i said on the video i saw the people who built the car on the video and they said the shelby will get in the 600hp range easy then i think ill take there word over anyone elses since they built the shelby.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
jman345 said:
Fourced im sorry i thought this was a car forum not a learn how to put punctuations forum if you can read it which you can or else you wouldnt have responded to it then thats all that matters right. And thanks for the info and like i said on the video i saw the people who built the car on the video and they said the shelby will get in the 600hp range easy then i think ill take there word over anyone elses since they built the shelby.

I was actually replying to the two guys at the top of this thread with my post and trying to give them an answer to what they were after. Fourcam330 did it better with one sentence than what I probably did... but he knows a lot about the modular engines. I tried reading the crap that you posted but couldn't really comprehend what you were saying.

Grammar > you

Just because they built it doesn't mean shit to me. I'd take Fourcam's thoughts on a 5.4L longevity in this application any day of the week (or Boss 330's too ;)) because they both have been there, done that, got the t-shirt with these motors. Just because they built it doesn't mean that their word is gospel. We'll see how well they really last when the motors get modded and beat on.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
broeli said:

Swapping rods isn't that quick/easy of a job. Once you have the rods you want, you'll have to get the rotating assembly balanced. You'll have to remove the rods/pistons from the top of the motor, which means the heads have to come off. At that point, you're looking at new head gaskets and possibly head bolts, so that'll add to the cost. If you were to go that far, I'd look at a complete motor rebuild.... Honestly, if you just want a rod swap, I don't think it would be worth your time or money.

As to the quote on grammar, punctuation, etc... It is very true this is a car forum, however, people who posses reading skill still have to read it. In many cases, I simply will not read a long drawn out post without regard to use of proper punctuation, paragraphs, ebonics, etc...

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
That's 600rw for the rods, which are Mahle forged I beams.

Waters have been tested. And this seems to be the safe limit. That is still going to be 160hp to the rear more than the stock dyno numbers.

-Jeff

jman345

Banned
yamahaSHO said:
Swapping rods isn't that quick/easy of a job. Once you have the rods you want, you'll have to get the rotating assembly balanced. You'll have to remove the rods/pistons from the top of the motor, which means the heads have to come off. At that point, you're looking at new head gaskets and possibly head bolts, so that'll add to the cost. If you were to go that far, I'd look at a complete motor rebuild.... Honestly, if you just want a rod swap, I don't think it would be worth your time or money.

As to the quote on grammar, punctuation, etc... It is very true this is a car forum, however, people who posses reading skill still have to read it. In many cases, I simply will not read a long drawn out post without regard to use of proper punctuation, paragraphs, ebonics, etc...

No one forces you to read what i write now do they you choose to read what i write if you dont like that i dont put punctuations and cant spell then dont respond to it its that simple but so far i have been right about alot of stuff when it comes to the GT500 even though no one wants to admit it and if i am wrong about anything let me know and i will admit it. And yes i have been wrong about stuff on the GT500 but mostly i have been right.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Please, for the love of God, tell us one correct piece of information that was the result of your individual thoughts. All any of us have seen is the constant, repetative spewage of magazine quotes and numbers. I can't open one damn thread in this forum w/out running into hordes of your illegible posts.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Please, for the love of God, tell us one correct piece of information that was the result of your individual thoughts. All any of us have seen is the constant, repetative spewage of magazine quotes and numbers. I can't open one damn thread in this forum w/out running into hordes of your illegible posts.

:banana: :beer: :banana:

jman - You give Texas a bad name. I can only hope that you're here because you're a Katrina refugee and not native born. Please go back to NOLA soon!

jman345

Banned
WDW MKR said:

Is it my imagination or did i not say before anyone that bet anything that they will get the shelby to a 12.2 i think i did why else would i put a topic up that says i believe MM&FF will get the shelby in the low 12s i put that topic up before they even put that other topic up about the Aug issues saying they got a 12.2 with it well what do you know i was right about that people laughed at me when i said that saying the shelby wont get down that low but what happened i was right. I also remember me saying that the shelby will outperform the c6 and people laughed at me again well hell what do you know it will out perform the c6 people said dont put a mustang in the same performance with a vette what do you know it actually beats the c6 i dont think it deserves to be in the same performance as the shelby. I named 2 things i was right about i can keep going on but i wont. Now you tell me one thing i was wrong about you havent yet. :loser:

yamahaSHO

Established Member
jman345 said:
No one forces you to read what i write now do they you choose to read what i write if you dont like that i dont put punctuations and cant spell then dont respond to it its that simple but so far i have been right about alot of stuff when it comes to the GT500 even though no one wants to admit it and if i am wrong about anything let me know and i will admit it. And yes i have been wrong about stuff on the GT500 but mostly i have been right.

Good job stating the obvious smart guy. I do not care whether you have been right or wrong. Reading run-on, non fragmented paragraphs suck. It's hard to tell when one idea has started or stopped.

You're right, I don't have to read your posts... Stay ill-educated and illiterate, it's not hurting me. It just makes you look like a dumbass, even if you know what you're talking about. Food for thought... I'm only helping you here. I don't have a problem with communication skills.

Users who are viewing this thread