How much hp can stock engine take?

bubbrubb

^ you're right, but after reading 330+ posts in this forum alone since 6-3-06, you'd get pretty agitated as well, I guarantee it. hell, I have him on ignore and my screen has more lines on it than a celebrity party in the late 80's from his ignored posts

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ya the rods are manly, but there the cheapest ones correct?

Thats the weakest point in the motor from what ive read.

Fourcam330

Established Member
MachME said:
Ya the rods are manly, but there the cheapest ones correct?

Thats the weakest point in the motor from what ive read.

Mahle, not Manley. They definitely don't appear to have the same quality/strength of a 4340 H. The pistons are almost exactly the same as GT slugs, meaning they're 2618 Al and very decent (much better than the Zollners in the 03/04s).

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if you were going for a rebuild would you stick with the stock pistons? are they actually worth keeping if your going above the safe limits of the rods? by the sounds of it the rods are the only weak link on this engine, we know for a fact that the heads arent anywhere near a weak link.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
if you were going for a rebuild would you stick with the stock pistons? are they actually worth keeping if your going above the safe limits of the rods? by the sounds of it the rods are the only weak link on this engine, we know for a fact that the heads arent anywhere near a weak link.

IMO, you'd want to hone .020" over (factory bores aren't always round), thus requiring a .020" over slugs. You're going to have to rebalance the rotating assembly anyway, and I'm of the do it once and do it right mindset. ;-)
If you wanted to "do it on the cheap", yes, by all means reuse the stock slugs and just upgrade the rods/bolts, bearings, and block hardware.
Additionally, aftermarket cams, regardless if the stockers are GTs or 03/04s (anything emissions legal sucks ass), are going to be worth a lot.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is Ford still employing the close piston-to-wall clearence in the GT500 mill ? If they are then the 5.4 will prabably be prone to scuffing pisons during extended high power runs like the Terminator engine. Not much room to grow.

wojowojo16

Established Member
jman345 said:
Your name dude it makes no sence when you get a cool name then we can talk lesson over for today grasshopper. lol

huh??? Your just confirming that you're an idiot..

You sitting on your boyfriends lap while your typing??? Is that why it's so difficult? Do you have a mullet?? You must be the spokesperson for www.mullet.com huh???? Or are you like 13 and get off because your parents were able to get you a computer???

Why don't you just leave....***.

jman345

Banned
wojowojo16 said:
huh??? Your just confirming that you're an idiot..

You sitting on your boyfriends lap while your typing??? Is that why it's so difficult? Do you have a mullet?? You must be the spokesperson for www.mullet.com huh???? Or are you like 13 and get off because your parents were able to get you a computer???

Why don't you just leave....***.

:lol: Pure entertainment ill tell you what.

jman345

Banned
Ok back to the shelby now since this is a forum about the SHELBY people and not me but thanks for caring. I think the stock engine will take around 900hp or more there you go and that is your lesson for today boys and girls.

wojowojo16

Established Member
jman345 said:
Ok back to the shelby now since this is a forum about the SHELBY people and not me but thanks for caring. I think the stock engine will take around 900hp or more there you go and that is your lesson for today boys and girls.

back that logic up boy genius.

GTWill

Established Member
jman345 said:
The only thing running at 900hp is your mouth.

jman345

Banned
wojowojo16 said:
back that logic up boy genius.

I think i have already backed it up when i said that the people who actually built the shelby said that it would be able to handle around 650hp with no problem i can promise you 900hp it will do but after 900hp im not sure.

wojowojo16

Established Member
jman345 said:
I think i have already backed it up when i said that the people who actually built the shelby said that it would be able to handle around 650hp with no problem i can promise you 900hp it will do but after 900hp im not sure.

you haven't backed anything up because nobody reads your fuc king posts asshole.

HOW OLD ARE YOU?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
IMO, you'd want to hone .020" over (factory bores aren't always round), thus requiring a .020" over slugs. You're going to have to rebalance the rotating assembly anyway, and I'm of the do it once and do it right mindset. ;-)
If you wanted to "do it on the cheap", yes, by all means reuse the stock slugs and just upgrade the rods/bolts, bearings, and block hardware.
Additionally, aftermarket cams, regardless if the stockers are GTs or 03/04s (anything emissions legal sucks ass), are going to be worth a lot.
ooOOoo, i see. yea, it makes sense to doing everything once and do it right too.
no doubt about the cams. emissions just sucks the life out of any engine(did you hear how strict the new diesel emissions will be??? rediculous!). thank god i dont live in california(or any other state that features heavy emissions testing for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread