How much HP do you think this setup has... (G35 TT)

Qmax03

Established Member
Ive been around the VQ35 motors for a LONG time... and unless that dude dumped over 30K+ into the car its hard to belive the 900hp claim. Id say hes in the 500whp ball park. He wont be driving a 900HP g35 around getting pump gas lol... Hes lying.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
JUST to get to the fabled 900HP (not wheel), won't cost you 30K--but it's still up there.

Based on the prices on this page: Turbo-Kits.com - 03 + Nissan 350Z Turbo & Twin Turbo Kits - VQ35DE

• GTM TT Kit with 1000 HP efficiency - $8,295.00
  • SFR 3.5L/3.7L Built VQ Block with all the trimmings and Darton Sleeves (good for over 1000HP) (including core charge - assumes they'll supply the block) - $9320.00
  • Stage III Headwork - $3995.00
  • UTEC Controller - $845.00
    • Total - 22,455
The supporting drivetrain and suspension improvements that would be necessary to put down the power without tearing the car apart would likely be around another 10K...so that's over 32K without even counting a few thou in labor. I'm sure you can do it cheaper, but I wouldn't skimp on the proper supporting stuff, especially on the internals.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
JUST to get to the fabled 900HP (not wheel), won't cost you 30K--but it's still up there.

Based on the prices on this page: Turbo-Kits.com - 03 + Nissan 350Z Turbo & Twin Turbo Kits - VQ35DE

• GTM TT Kit with 1000 HP efficiency - $8,295.00
  • SFR 3.5L/3.7L Built VQ Block with all the trimmings and Darton Sleeves (good for over 1000HP) (including core charge - assumes they'll supply the block) - $9320.00
  • Stage III Headwork - $3995.00
  • UTEC Controller - $845.00
    • Total - 22,455
The supporting drivetrain and suspension improvements that would be necessary to put down the power without tearing the car apart would likely be around another 10K...so that's over 32K without even counting a few thou in labor. I'm sure you can do it cheaper, but I wouldn't skimp on the proper supporting stuff, especially on the internals.

words of wisdom right there! :thumbsup:

...tell that to CPV. i can get an 03 cobra or an evo to put out that same HP with HALF the money and still have it last.

Last edited:

CPV35

Established Member
words of wisdom right there! :thumbsup:

...tell that to CPV. i can get an 03 cobra or an evo to put out that same HP with HALF the money and still have it last.

You guys are speaking about an engine you have no experience with. I personally have that gtm kit on my car and it was well under $8k, you also do not need a sleeved motor to make 900 crank hp. Headwork isn't needed just cams and springs only.

The only drivetrain parts needed are a clutch and axles. There are several high hp z's and g's that have the stock tranny and rear end still including myself

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
you're either a tuner or you can get parts that "fell off the back of a truck.." (wink wink).

i (myself) and the other guy just pointed out how much money its takes to get a VQ to achieve those numbers safely and have it reliable. ...what is there to argue?
the VQ cannot achieve those numbers safely without major work done. i've provided (and a few other have chimed in as well) links to shops that have achieved those numbers and NOT the average joe, because the average joe is cheap and doesnt have alot of money to spend.
and if he does have alot of money to spend, it's not going to be on a measley VQ (no offense)
they graduate to something more expensive and more tastefull like a vette,a GT500 or an M series BMW or heck...AMG (if i had money :rockon:)

you may not have to sleeve the block but you'll want to if you're pushing those numbers.

your argument is like a honda guy saying that he can squeeze a 125 shot of N20 in his little stock K20 without any supporting mods. yes you can.....but do you really really want to??? :rollseyes

Last edited:

CPV35

Established Member
you're either a tuner or you can get parts that "fell off the back of a truck.." (wink wink).

i (myself) and the other guy just pointed out how much money its takes to get a VQ to achieve those numbers safely and have it reliable. ...what is there to argue?
the VQ cannot achieve those numbers safely without major work done. i've provided (and a few other have chimed in as well) links to shops that have achieved those numbers and NOT the average joe, because the average joe is cheap and doesnt have alot of money to spend.
and if he does have alot of money to spend, it's not going to be on a measley VQ (no offense)
they graduate to something more expensive and more tastefull like a vette,a GT500 or an M series BMW or heck...AMG (if i had money :rockon:)

you may not have to sleeve the block but you'll want to if you're pushing those numbers.

your argument is like a honda guy saying that he can squeeze a 125 shot of N20 in his little stock K20 without any supporting mods. yes you can.....but do you really really want to??? :rollseyes

The fact of the matter, if you want anything unique, nice, and fast then you are going to have to spend alot of money. I built my car because it was different. Look back at the thread I posted from last year about the NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green. If a LS1 car, Mustang, or even an evo was waxing cars out there do you think their reactions would have been the same?

As far as sleeving the motors, we (VQ guys) have had more trouble with sleeved motors than without. I have been running several years without any problems on a unsleeved motor without any problems

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
The fact of the matter, if you want anything unique, nice, and fast then you are going to have to spend alot of money.

.....i guess we can agree to disagree....heck what do i know?? :shrug: im only on a website that is living proof that Cobra's can hit 10's with a 1/3 of the money required to get a VQ running that fast (or an EVO for that matter. see post #66 on pg.3)

Last edited:

CPV35

Established Member
.....i guess we can agree to disagree....heck what do i know?? :shrug: im only on a website that is living proof that Cobra's can hit 10's with a 1/3 of the money required to get a VQ running that fast (or an EVO for that matter. see post #66 on pg.3)

I never said it would be cheaper for a VQ to make power than a cobra. How many Evo's and Cobra's are in the 10s? id say somewhere in the 100s for cobras and at least 20 evos. how many G35's or 350z's are in the 10s? 3 if you are lucky.

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Except I think the Terminator Cobra's and Evo's (excluding the EvoX) are just plain ugly. And I don't need a 10 second car to be happy. Different strokes for different folks. I bet you I could make a faster car that costs 1/2 the price of your evo. Do I want to? No because it'll be good for the straights only and look like crap. What are you trying to prove 5 ltr?

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
I bet you I could make a faster car that costs 1/2 the price of your evo. Do I want to? No because it'll be good for the straights only and look like crap. What are you trying to prove 5 ltr?

omg..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

picard_facepalm.jpg

.....attention...attention..... Mr370Z just discovered you can make a fast car for half the price of an EVO.
for that you get the Captain Obvious award.

captain_obvious.jpg

if you bother to read back a few pages before everyone put their .02 in...you'll see that we're talking about the fact that: IT COSTS TOO MUCH TO GET A VQ RUNNING THAT STRONG. LIVING PROOF IS THE FACT THAT THE PEOPLE WHO DO HAVE 10 SEC OR FASTER VQ'S ARE SHOP CARS THAT GET PARTS FOR DAM NEAR FREE OR BELOW COST. THE AVERAGE JOE DOES NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY.
SO A COBRA/CAMARO/EVO IS A LOT EASIER TO GET RUNNING THAT FAST AND RELIABLE FOR 1/3 OF THE PRICE! :cuss:

....outta breath after that long one....

no one is saying you can't build a fast car for half the price of another one! we're talking about the VQ vs. modular/LSx/4G63 and if you wanna go fast for cheap and have it last more than a few runs then it goes something like this:

VQ < modular/LSx/4G63

make sense? :beer:

Last edited:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Congratulations why does anyone care? :shrug:

If you're interested in going fast you have a good point. But if you have a love for a car you're going to build it fast no matter how unreliable or difficult to make power it may be. So I guess congratulations for owning the superior performance engine?

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Congratulations why does anyone care? :shrug:

........cause that is the discussion at hand......is it really that hard to read all the previous posts? :??:

So I guess congratulations for owning the superior performance engine/car

fixed it for you. ;-)

......what you don't like that? id like to see your 370Z try to haul 4 people comfortably through rain/snow and get amazing traction. not to mention have room for groceries.

:thumbsup:

AWD FTW!

Last edited:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
........cause that is the discussion at hand......is it really that hard to read all the previous posts? :??:

fixed it for you. ;-)

......what you don't like that? id like to see your 370Z try to haul 4 people comfortably through rain/snow and get amazing traction. not to mention have room for groceries.

:thumbsup:

AWD FTW!

Oh right I haven't read this thread in a while so I forgot what we were all arguing about... and I'm pretty sure I never said the VQ series was cheaper/easier to mod. I was just saying there have been high horsepower builds too. :bored:

Nice attempt, but no. It would be cool to haul 4 people but when you have a two seater you're not obligated to haul everyone. I guess having crazy traction in the rain/snow would be good ocassionally but last time I checked no one's going to Laguna Seca or VIR in the snow.

You can keep thinking your car is superior. In fact, if that helps you sleep at night that's fine. But you're wrong (in my opinion). :beer:

Last edited:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Alright, 5 ltr beater. I'll stop trolling you and tell you how I really feel. The 370z sucks. The interior is nice and the car has some nice curves oh and it handles great but...

The NVH is horrid. The engine has a terribly rough feel to it and "thrashes" a lot. There is no smoothness, there is no clean feel to it. Just feels rough the higher you rev it and hitting 155? You feel like you're going a lot faster than you think. That's not a good thing. The brakes work fine minus after a bit of spirited driving they feel like they melted away into nothing. The stock tires suck, I'll be lucky if they last me 10k miles. The transmission is LOUD. It has a vibrating noise with clutch engaged and in neutral (dealer said it was normal), shifting is occasionally smooth (even with clutch pedal all the way to the floor it still feels grindy) and the clutch just isn't that great. In fact, swapping out the clutch is a terrible idea, the stock CSC body needs to be replaced if you want an aftermarket clutch.

The unlock button on the key fob is starting to go out on me (works about half the time), the stupid wind deflectors scrape on every surface known to man. The seats are actually a good point of the car, they keep you planted pretty well. The handling is very solid to be honest. Oh and it actually carries a lot of stuff for a two seater.

Oh and the stock exhaust is really impressive engineering but sounds like a Lexus. Want real MPG numbers? On a GOOD day I get 21mpg.

All in all, if I had to do it all over again I would not have bought it. So to anyone thinking about this car: don't waste your money. :nono:

If I was a fanboy I wouldn't be posting this. But it's the ugly truth about the new Z.

Alright, rant over.

Last edited:

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
just givin' you shit bud! i love the 370Z's. its all in good fun! ther're alot sexier lookin' than my EVO. but i need four doors and i like being the underdog trying to take out my fellow V8 brethren ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CPV35

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTHOmj4S4E"]YouTube - G35 TT vs. Whipple charged GT500[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_Cb-NS920"]YouTube - G35TT Vs 2.3 Kenne Bell 04 Cobra[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread