How much of a difference did gears make? Worth the money

Fosters

Established Member
04torchred said:
So with 4.10 one could assume about 2600-2650rpm wise at 80mph. That isn't too bad. All I know is that he doesn't want to be buzzing the engine at 3000-3200rpm at 85-90mph cruising to school, it will piss him off. How fast does first run out with the 4.30's?

i forget; i put a t56 in my car (6th gear is still .62, same as the 3650s 5th), but 1st is 2.97 as opposed to the 3.38... THAT was pretty short though, it sure was fun tho :p someone else can prolly chime in.

04torchred

Established Member
Fosters said:
i forget; i put a t56 in my car (6th gear is still .62, same as the 3650s 5th), but 1st is 2.97 as opposed to the 3.38... THAT was pretty short though, it sure was fun tho :p someone else can prolly chime in.

Thanks, he wants a T56 as well. I can only imagine how fast first ran out and how bad the tires must have lite up. I have a 3.08 1st gear in my S15(383ci 425hp/500tq) with a 3.73 rear gear and first is stupid.

Grenade

Banned
I think I can make it to almost 30mph before I shift with the 410's. Stock tranny. With a little tire, these cars fly out of the hole with gears. I have no regrets.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
04torchred said:
No worries and never hurts to ask, the auto with a loose convertor and 4.10's should be pretty fun.

I have a CO Mach with 4.10's, 4000 PI converter, manual valve body, and transbrake and it has run a best of 12:55 with slicks and 12:65 with drag radials....... Yes it is a blast to drive and I have always driven standards....

04torchred

Established Member
He went with the Ford Racing 4.10's. We should hopefully have time to install them in the next couple weeks. He also got some 03-04 cobra mirrors and they look sweet.

BM1

Established Member
Make sure you have decent tires if you want to hook up on the street with 4.10s. I have the stock Good Year tires, 4.10s, and a UPR offroad X and 1st and second gear are useless on the street. I have to feather the shit out of first and I have to baby it into second or it'll just get sideways. Even from a 4,000RPM punch in 2nd I'll usually just spin until about 6,000 RPM.

Also, I've noticed a quiet "moan" from my rear end at certain highway speeds. I'm not sure if it's because of the install or just the gearset. I think I might have to get the rear end redone at some point.

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
Make sure you have decent tires if you want to hook up on the street with 4.10s. I have the stock Good Year tires, 4.10s, and a UPR offroad X and 1st and second gear are useless on the street. I have to feather the shit out of first and I have to baby it into second or it'll just get sideways. Even from a 4,000RPM punch in 2nd I'll usually just spin until about 6,000 RPM.

Also, I've noticed a quiet "moan" from my rear end at certain highway speeds. I'm not sure if it's because of the install or just the gearset. I think I might have to get the rear end redone at some point.

Sounds like your pinion bearings might be going or were installed wrong. My brothers car did this, but it was a howel, noticeable pretty much all the time. Keep an eye on it. Did you install new pinion bearings when you put the gears in?

BM1

Established Member
04torchred said:
Sounds like your pinion bearings might be going or were installed wrong. My brothers car did this, but it was a howel, noticeable pretty much all the time. Keep an eye on it. Did you install new pinion bearings when you put the gears in?

The previous owner had them done. The noise is only noticeable at certain speeds. It seems as though the thing becomes silent at 65+MPH.

04torchred

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
The previous owner had them done. The noise is only noticeable at certain speeds. It seems as though the thing becomes silent at 65+MPH.

Well I would just keep and eye on it. My brothers did this shortly after Ford replaced the pinion bearing due to a leak. So we are installing new bearings when we do the gears in a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice about the tires, he is planning on some 275 if they will fit on the stock rims.

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
275's can fit, they'll bulge, but they will fit.
Here is what mine look like. 275/40's

100_1600.jpg

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
What are good springs for the Mach 1 having a solid axle? He has BBK LT's so they don't hang down too far. My brother was thinking of waiting until he could afford coilovers before lowering and just living with the 4X4 look for a while.

SFMach1

EAT ME!
Established Member
04torchred said:
What are good springs for the Mach 1 having a solid axle? He has BBK LT's so they don't hang down too far. My brother was thinking of waiting until he could afford coilovers before lowering and just living with the 4X4 look for a while.

I have H&R SS springs with tokico 5 way adjustable shocks and like the ride. Why does he want a coilover setup? I've heard from owners that it can get kinda noisy.

04torchred

Established Member
SFMach1 said:
I have H&R SS springs with tokico 5 way adjustable shocks and like the ride. Why does he want a coilover setup? I've heard from owners that it can get kinda noisy.

Well I was planning on coilovers so then he is as well. We live in Canada and he drives his car in the winter. We figured that this way we could have it slammed down in the spring/summer/fall then lift it up a bit to use for winter. The adjustability is pretty much the main reason, I have heard you can get noise with certain brands, but so far MM seems to be good. Do you have measurements by chance of your car? Top of the fender lip to the ground would be great. And do you have LT if so how far off the ground.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread