how much RWHP can the stock block handle???

anton28

Established Member
Are many guys running compound boost (turbo over stock blower) set ups?

bubbal00ve

Established Member
you guys have been talking about boost with the a turbo or supercharger setup. What about a nitrous setup how much horspowere could it handle? I just bought a 4.6 short block from mmr 10:5:1 comp manley rods and flat top pistons. How much nitrous, and horspower could that handle. it might be stupid questions to ask but svtp is a great place to get knowledge from. Thanks!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It all depends on your tune (timing,fuel tables etc..), fuel system, the octane gas your gonna run, Lots of factors!

Vette Eater

Established Member
IMO if you own a terminator and you are keeping it a reasonable 650rwhpish there is no need to looked for a replacement block. Even at higher HP levels it will still hold up fine provided you dont beat on it day in, day out... you have efficient fuel mods, and you have a good tune.
I was just thinking, if you had made this statement 15 years ago, I would have thought you were a nutjob...man I love technology
:rockon:

exdeath

Established Member
Keeping stock pistons off the cylinder walls

:lol::lol::lol:

That about sums up the only real limitation of the stock block. They built it too tight (.001" PTW) to appease the non car folks who might be put off by a little normal forged piston slap in the morning. Stock block would be just as good as any other if you rebuilt it with some better pistons and .005" PTW (piston to wall clearance). Stock block, crank, and rods are basically indestructible. Hot long term high gear boost from a PD blower + heat soaked engine cooling system can't remove heat from the cylinders faster than the blower can add it. Think how much heat the blower is producing holding at max boost for the 30 seconds or more you are doing 5th and 6th gear overdrive pulls.
:eek:

I see videos of people doing this and want to vomit listening to the blower just wail and wail and wail for eternity in 6th gear and never stop and I can just hear the pistons expanding. :xpl:

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
I was just thinking, if you had made this statement 15 years ago, I would have thought you were a nutjob...man I love technology
:rockon:

You got that right. Shoot when I had my 69 GTO I put the edelbrock RPM kit at the time and made 475 crank hp and I thought I was king kong back in 1995 lol.

04cobra13

Established Member
Stock block could handle lots of power, thing you have to worry about is the rotating assembly, well just the pistons...

Users who are viewing this thread