How much would it take?

Kiohtee

Established Member
There is a big cultural clash between the southern states and the big cities. Of course you're gonna feel overwhelmed in NYC. You guys are used to a slower pace of living and more of the same people a opposed to NYC being very diverse and fast paced. Its definitely not an easy transition but could be very exciting for you. There are WAY more opportunities in NYC. WAY more money. I live an hour north of NYC and worked there for 10yrs. I have tons of my family spread out all over the burroughs of NY. Just because you will be working in NYC, doesnt mean you have to live there. Personally, I'm not a city guy. I like peace and quiet. I hate traffic too.

You are absolutely wrong brother. I will never live in a state as liberal, where I can't drive, own a gun, etc. as New York. For any amount of money.

Blown 89

Established Member
No amount of money could get me to move to a city with firearms laws like those. None.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
You can not offer me a number allowing me to compromise and abandon by rights, freedoms and principals which would occur by living in NYC.

Established Member
When I was fresh out of college, Chicago was a fine option to chase the dollars and tail. Worked out well for many years, but the hour plus commute, and oppressive taxes and everyday expenses make me look forward to the day my kids are out of school so I can leave this god forsaken state. Based on what I know about NY, the story would be the same.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i think there's too many damn people in LA, in the suburbs. i cant imagine dealing with NYC lol.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
"Just send me to hell or New York City, it would be about the same to me"

The only way I would take a job there is if I could do it remotely far away from there.

fangstang

Established Member
You are absolutely wrong brother. I will never live in a state as liberal, where I can't drive, own a gun, etc. as New York. For any amount of money.

What am I wrong about? I didnt say it was better then anywhere else. I stated facts from experience.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Kill off all the liberal politicians, all the liberal locusts, bulldoze the city to start over, and $10 million a year will get me to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackedout

Established Member
Have you ever visited the city ??? What part would you be working in ???

Kiohtee

Established Member
What am I wrong about? I didnt say it was better then anywhere else. I stated facts from experience.

You said us southerners didn't like the city because of its speed, diversity, etc. That's not at all why I dislike and wouldn't live in NY/C. I'm sure it's a cool place to visit on a vacation, just like California, and I'd really like to sometime, but I couldn't live there with all the restriction, laws, etc.

cwlanders

Established Member
Have you ever visited the city ??? What part would you be working in ???
Yeah, I audit investment managers and a large portion of them are in NYC so I have visited quite a few times. The firm that offered is on West Street.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Price per square foot in NY City averages $1500.00. So a 600 sqft condo would cost $900k.... That's the avgerage too.... Better location can be as high as $2800.00 per sqft. So that same 600sqft would be $1.68 Million!
That's just purchase price... Add HOA, property tax etc.....

I'm thinking no matter what the offer I would say NO!

lastcall190

Established Member
Live in NJ. 900k can buy a palace within a 30 minute train ride even with the ****ed out property taxes.

No, NJ is no paradise before everyone attacks with the obvious. But working in NYC and living there don't necessarily go hand in hand.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I absolutely love NYC, to visit, one or twice a year. I spent a few weekends visiting my cousin who was an au pair in Scarsdale we took the train into the city from her employers home. Not a commute I would want to make on the regular. I love big city life in very small doses that and the San Franciscan type politics are a big no for me.

Coiled03

Established Member
It's a great place.....to visit. Did it once to see the sights. Would never, in a million year, live there.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Cities are neat. I enjoyed being in the downtown part of KC and then in Toronto where you can pretty much walk everywhere. Go get drunk and walk home is probably my favorite part.

But still, being from down here and having a big yard to watch the dogs run around and a place to wrench on my cars, I was jonesing to come back after 3 days.

fangstang

Established Member
You said us southerners didn't like the city because of its speed, diversity, etc. That's not at all why I dislike and wouldn't live in NY/C. I'm sure it's a cool place to visit on a vacation, just like California, and I'd really like to sometime, but I couldn't live there with all the restriction, laws, etc.

Read what I wrote again. I never said you southerners dont like the city. I said you're not used to big cities and diversity like NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread