How things have changed!

01L2Cobra

Banned
Captain Beyond said:
If you don't like the way it handles, get aftermarket parts. Isn't that what you did to your 01?
What’s left to do after springs and shocks? Remember that Ford is putting in a panhard bar and that is the major improvement over the last SRA. Ford took the most common solution of how to make an SRA handle better added it on and now it only handles as well as an improper IRS. Tell me what is the big achievement there.

Orange Poison

Established Member
nalto said:
No twin screw. No cross drilled brakes. No air splitter. No functional hood vents. they better hurry to production before they end up back at a 4.6 3v.

True, true...

My biggest dissappoinment will be no twin screw.

I'm keeping my '03....fock it.

Fourcam330

Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
problem is they forgot to tell chevy that- hmm 400hp 3300 lbs, .50 6th and 26mph on the highway, GM doesnt have a lot of things going for them BUT they certainly have the weight issue figured

You're comparing a two seat car sports car built on a much more sophisticated platform to a modern four seat muscle car, you simply can't in this regard. The penalty for creating equal or better straight line performance than a more expensive rival, from a common platform car that wasn't specifically designed with sporty/light intentions in mind, is in this case extra weight. :shrug:
More than anything with regard to quarter mile lovers the GT500 will test driveline parts like no previous Mustang.

You say fat, I prefer "big boned" :D

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
What’s left to do after springs and shocks? Remember that Ford is putting in a panhard bar and that is the major improvement over the last SRA. Ford took the most common solution of how to make an SRA handle better added it on and now it only handles as well as an improper IRS. Tell me what is the big achievement there.

I happen to find a stock .94g on the skidpad at 3850lbs with 255 front, 285 rear tires and a drag ready 3 link pretty ****ing impressive. :rolleyes:

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
No but I get around 29 miles per gallon on the highway that thing is going to be lucky to get low 20's.

Low 20s (my WAG is ~24mpg highway) is great for a Muscle Car :shrug:

01L2Cobra

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
I happen to find a stock .94g on the skidpad at 3850lbs with 255 front, 285 rear tires and a drag ready 3 link pretty ****ing impressive. :rolleyes:
A stock IRS pulling 1.01G skidpad on 265/40ZR-18 that will run a 69.3mph slalom speed is a hell of a lot more impressive.

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
A stock IRS pulling 1.01G skidpad on 265/40ZR-18 that will run a 69.3mph slalom speed is a hell of a lot more impressive.

Was that the '00 or '02 Cobra? :dw:

Fourcam330

Established Member
You're comparing it to an ultra limited edition, non warrantied $50K Cobra R? ROFL, that's the farthest thing I've seen yet to a valid comparison, you're really stretching.
When did the '00R ever pull 1.01 in bone stock showroom floor condition???

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Not really there arnt that many differences between the 03 IRS and the R's.

The R did pull over 1g stock read these and see for your self :loser:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwcobraR/
http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/fordmustangcobrar.html

They are completely different cars, you're beyond the point of stretching it. :rolleyes: Like I said, show me a 3850lbs stock suspension '00R that can pull 1.01g or even .94g with the stock tires??? That's what I thought. NEXT.

COBRA32

Established Member
I agree with DBK on the Stock holders in the eyes of Ford and GM being more important than the Customers wants. That thinking IMHO is what has put Ford and Gm into the trouble they are in now. If they would build what the Customers wanted they would not be in the situation they are in. A good example is Toyota they put the Customer first instead of the Stock holders first and now they are bigger than Ford and will be bigger than GM soon. So should Ford worry about the stock holders, or listen too the customers they have before they lose them. If Ford was smart they would give the customer what they want and in the end the stock holders would be taken care since the company would have more customers to profit from because of better cars. Ford needs to quit cutting corners and make a quality car that the customer is will be happy with. The stock holders do not buy the cars Ford makes, its the regular Joe that buys the cars Ford makes and that’s who should be taken care not the stock holders. Instead of the slogans that the customer comes first they need to put it into action. Good example no trunk release in the new Mustang, how many years have they had a trunk release in the glove box, what did that save them one dollars, I would gladly pay a dollar more for the convince, no auto lights either and is this putting the customer first no that’s cost cutting at its best. In a modern day car you should not have too worry if you turned your lights off and for those idiots who can not remember to turn them on problem solved if they had auto lights. These are just a few of the examples and do not let me get started on the new 500. Wake up Ford before you lose your loyalist.

Sorry for the rant if we do not start listening too the people all will be lost for this country. It seems that to please the stock holders is to put someone on the unemployment line and move the jobs overseas too save money.

Ford we want the Twin Screw on GT500 and f*** the stock holders and the bean counters.

Last edited:

01L2Cobra

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
They are completely different cars, you're beyond the point of stretching it. :rolleyes: Like I said, show me a 3850lbs stock suspension '00R that can pull 1.01g or even .94g with the stock tires??? That's what I thought. NEXT.
Yes they are different cars but the IRS is not all that different. SVT used many of the same parts that the R's IRS used in the Terminator program. I'm sorry that the R has blown a hole in your assumption that the GT500 will out handle the previous IRS cars by pulling 1.01g's in an improper IRS. So what makes you think that a properly built IRS couldn't pull over .94g's?

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
And how does it drive on real roads? Like crap. Yes, stiff as hell suspension gets you great numbers (ala EVO) but isn't really great for a daily driver. I guess that's why Ford didn't make more than 300.

Here's the simple solution 01L2Cobra - get a corvette.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Then you should like the IRS since it has a softer ride. But then again with what is going in there you may want to start looking in to CapMetro since paying for gas in that thing is going to cost more than its worth.

Did you look at the Motortred slalom figures I posted:
EVO 69 mph (IRS, harsh ride)
'05 MGT 66 mph (SRA, cushy ride)

IRS is not going to allow the MGT to pull a 69mph slalom without a harsh ride. To get EVO like handling will need EVO like harshness.

If you're worried about gas price then you're looking at the wrong car. My truck got worse gas mileage than the proposed GT500. Virually all full-size pickups and SUV get worst gas mileage. So please, put the GT500 in perspective...getting 15 mpg vs. 19 mpg is not a big difference (1000 miles per month = $31.50 difference).

Really, follow my suggestion...get the corvette. You'll be much happier with it's track performance and gas mileage. But it does use leaf springs....you OK with that?

MikeF

Established Member
Got to say you guys are wrong about the ride of the 2000 R, I went from an M3 to the R and everyone who has ridden in both has remarked on the better ride. The handling is M3 quality also. From everything I have read, I am disappointed in the Shelby considering Ford said they considered the next special edition Mustang to be a competitor to the M3. Oh well, I will keep the R.

01L2Cobra

Banned
AbusiveWombat said:
And how does it drive on real roads? Like crap. Yes, stiff as hell suspension gets you great numbers (ala EVO) but isn't really great for a daily driver. I guess that's why Ford didn't make more than 300.

Here's the simple solution 01L2Cobra - get a corvette.
The Cobra R doesn't drive like crap on real roads. The spring rate isn't so harsh that it will bead you to death.

If I wanted a POS I would have bought a Chevy but I didn't.

AbusiveWombat you have know idea what you are talking about when it comes to the ride of the IRS. You can put just about any spring rate in there and its not going to change the ride quality much. An SRA is a hell of a lot worse when it comes to spring rates and harshness of ride. If ride quality is so important to you go get a Caddy and quit talking about stuff you dont know about.

Last edited:

nalto

Established Member
If i wanted to hear about evo's i would have visited an evo site. Lets stick to topic or the Ban-Man will reappear!

01L2Cobra

Banned
AbusiveWombat said:
My bad on the Cobra R ride quality. But why didn't it ever make it into the other Cobras?
Most of it did. The 03's 31spline half shafts, IRS cross member, and better bushing can all be attributed to the R. Three things the R had that the 03 didn’t receive are the 9.5” wheels, springs, and shocks. But all of those parts on the 03 were an upgraded from those used in the 01 Cobra. Money played a part in those three items but at least there was a upgrade in parts used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread