How To Adjust Clutch Cable

LastChance

Established Member
This has been very helpful! Bought 03 anniv. vert with 4500 mi. and was having hard time speed shifting 1-2 and 3-4 . Adj. cable made shifting easy. I just hope i did not cut to much of the tab off. I basically cut tab (aprox. 7cm) completely off. Everything seems to be fine. Also , pulling up on clutch pedal does not reset clutch adj. on mine, could that be because there is still some slack in cable?

blu88notch

Established Member
This has been very helpful! Bought 03 anniv. vert with 4500 mi. and was having hard time speed shifting 1-2 and 3-4 . Adj. cable made shifting easy. I just hope i did not cut to much of the tab off. I basically cut tab (aprox. 7cm) completely off. Everything seems to be fine. Also , pulling up on clutch pedal does not reset clutch adj. on mine, could that be because there is still some slack in cable?

I beleive once the tab has been removed the reset is disabled. Your setting is permanent.
Someone confirm pls.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Did this today! F@*&ing amazing! I love my clutch.. I was just about to install my UPR triple hooker and adjuster, but F@*& it. Stocker it is.

I also took the slack out the Accelerator pedal cable. Pedals are awesome!

12secgt

Established Member
Well I should have read this sooner. Mine did this at the track yesterday during True Street at Fun Ford in Bristol. I installed a firewall adjuster and quadrant and works great now. Oh well it just costed $50 for the parts there at the UPR tent. Cotter pin went about 1/2" in my finger though.

MICH_427_Cobra

Established Member
About bending the bracket - any tips?
If I bend it towards the back of the car and the plastic part with the hook rests against it, is that okay? It clears the gears closer to the firewall.

I have seen comments about making sure one of the parts makes contact with the bracket, or else the gears will slide right past each other...

BTW, about three clicks for me and it is great. Just need to bend tab to make it stay that way..

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If I bend it towards the back of the car and the plastic part with the hook rests against it, is that okay?
No the plate shouldn't make contact with either of the plastic gears at all. Just make sure the push button switch still actuates properly when the clutch is depressed after you're all done.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I just hope i did not cut to much of the tab off. I basically cut tab (aprox. 7cm) completely off. Everything seems to be fine. Also , pulling up on clutch pedal does not reset clutch adj. on mine, could that be because there is still some slack in cable?
No, cutting or bending the plate defeats the auto adjuster which keeps it from putting the slack back in your cable, this is a good thing.

Last edited:

Blown85

Established Member
Another satisfied member here, feels like a new car, thanks for the info. One question though, I have not bent over the tab yet. After bending it would I ever need that tab again, even if I put on an aftermarket adjuster and quadrant?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
After bending it would I ever need that tab again, even if I put on an aftermarket adjuster and quadrant?
I doubt it. I'm sure you could jam a large flathead screwdriver up there and pop the gears back if you needed to get more slack in the cable or redo your adjustment.

dgksleeper

Established Member
OMG am I glad I found this thread. I was so disappointed at the track. I now know why I sucked at shifting. My car feels soooooooo different and is easy to powershift now.

Awesome work guys !!!!

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the write-up. It helped a lot. I'm guessing there should still be a little play ( 1/4 inch or so) in the feeling of the clutch pedal as to not destroy the TOB?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm guessing there should still be a little play ( 1/4 inch or so) in the feeling of the clutch pedal as to not destroy the TOB?
Yes ideally if you can still shift the car with a little play that's good. But to be completely honest TOBs don't seem to last long in the Terminator probably due to the fact many people have keep them adjusted tight against the PP to be able to shift the car decently.

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
I have had my stock quad. on and off three times now and have wondered about that metal bracket, I am going to do this when I wake up later today
:sleeping:

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
wow! what a difference! I thought my clutch was dead or dying, but that is not the case!
All I did was remove the cotter pin, take off the stock quadrant( to give my self some room to work with) and got my adjustable wrench on that metal tab and got it pulled almost to where it is completely 180, and I put the stock quadrant back on, and moved the self adjuster by hand, and started the car and it went easily into reverse, and I took it out for a test drive. It is so easy to powershift now!!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
what the motherloving **** were the designers thinking with this setup?

I just tried this and i think i epic failed somehow, now Reverse is locked out. i added 3 clicks, jammed a prybar between the seat hump (i took out the seat) and used it to hold the clutch down while i spent an hour trying to bend that ****ing retarded ass adjuster stop. Succeeded, but the clutch was insanely hard to press (and i didnt have Reverse either). Figured i made it too tight, so is stuck a screwdriver up there to reset it all, went 2 clicks. Pedal pressure feels normal now, but still no Reverse.

maybe i need to start the car? brb.......

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
k nm car has to be turned on to get Reverse lol. Was freaking out for a second.

Clutch was engaging very high, reset it and now i think im at 2 clicks over where i was.

worst mod ever in terms of physical abuse required to take during the process. Ive worked on dsms, honduhs, this takes the cake. Ive come to realize the human body just isnt meant to fit up in there, i cant imagine doing a Quadrant/Adjuster combo (which i have in a box, was gonna attempt but decided against it). Hopefully this works and i can sell those off, gonna go finish putting the seat in and go for a ride, will post results.

Users who are viewing this thread