How to attach splitter?

griffined

SVT driver
I was going to title this thread "Splitter 2, Ed 0" after trying for the second time to get this SOB mounted. To avoid confusion, I have attached a picture that should help you understand what I calling a particular name.(not my splitter, mine's stock)

I begin with my car on the ground, wheels straight ahead. I position the splitter in front of it, and then lift up the top edge with the fastners (D) above the holes in the front fascia.

I reach under the splitter and lift the back edge of it, where the splitter tabs (B) are located, and try and get them to slide into the splitter brackets (A). They seem to slide in, below the rubber piece, but above the metal loop.

I then go to each end of the splitter, and can usually get the end fastners (C) to catch.

When I try to tighten the other fastners (D) they just spin and never catch. I think they are lined up correctly, but it's difficult to tell on some of them. I am turning them clockwise to fasten.

Questions:
Do you install your splitter with the car on a lift to make it easier?

Do you turn the wheels, or take them off to make it easier to tunr the end fastners (C)?

Do you put the tabs (B) inside of the rubber in the brackets (A), or under it?

Are you using a tool other than a short straight screw driver?

Thanks in advance. This F N splitter has me really agitated at the moment.:fm:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ed:

No Doubt it's a FPITA, but take your time and it is much easier. The tabs need to go into (the center) of the bracket underneath.

Jack up the car so you can get underneath to see what the Dzus fasteners are doing and which way you should aim them.

There is a Dzus fastener tool available (Andy has one) but I was pretty successful with a stubby and an off set screwdriver.

Like Steve Mizurack (sp?) said practice, practice, practice

Good luck man!!:thumbsup: :beer:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Maybe I'm just lucky, but it only takes me about 5 minutes to get my splitter on. Wheels straight ahead, sliding the splitter forward to line up the tabs into the metal brackets, so that once the tabs are in, the splitter is now resting in place on the bottom of the front bumper, where it should be. Now I go around tightening the fasteners, skipping evey other one, like when tightening lugs on a wheel, and then I'm done. I use a stubby flat head, and on my car, the left most fastener on the drivers side is the only one that gives me a hard time. It just wanted to spin and spin, but I found if I reach behind, and squeeze down the splitter to the bumper at this one point, the fastener would catch, and then tighten up. Hope this helps.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
same as dave....about 5 maybe 10 minutes.....lay the top in place, lay on the ground, reach under, tuck the 2 tabs into the rubber mounts, get the 2 side/wheel lip dzus tight, get the rest tight....most importantly, the tool used to turn them........a penny :D

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by griffined
So, you guys put the tabs inside of the rubber hole, in the bracket?
I try to, sometimes the rubber is kind of squished, making it hard to get in, but with some force, it usually goes in....once when I was removing it, I did see that it had went in between the metal and rubber, but it didnt make a difference....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
So, you guys put the tabs inside of the rubber hole, in the bracket?

Ed:

Ideally, the tab should go into the center so there is rubber on both sides of the splitter tab. But. it appears the rubber is sort of oversize for the opening and it has a tendency to colapse in there making it difficult to get the tab in the center.

One solution may be to wedge a small piece of wood or plastic in that piece of rubber to hold the "memory" if the splitter is not going to be on the car for extended periods of time. Just an idea!

Last edited:

griffined

SVT driver
I'm trying to figure out if it's something that's not obvious that's causing my difficulty. Wish me luck, I've got a High Performance Driving thing at Sears Point (Infineon) on Sunday with NASA. I'll be there, with or without the splitter, for my first track outing with the R.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm trying to figure out if it's something that's not obvious that's causing my difficulty. Wish me luck, I've got a High Performance Driving thing at Sears Point (Infineon) on Sunday with NASA. I'll be there, with or without the splitter, for my first track outing with the R.
Don't sweat it if you cant get it on....I'm told it really doesnt make much of a difference until around 120 mph....Have fun!!!! man.....I cant wait to get to a track event!!!! its been too long!!!! at least snowmobiling has been great this year!!!! :thumbsup:

kevin

if your fascia is supported the splitter will be fine until around 130. that's when it really starts to vibrate. if the track dosen't have high speed turns then you may be better off without it (it does cause drag).

have fun:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread