how to: clone a termi

fyeRc51

Established Member
hello everyone. ive been a reader of the forum for about a year, and i finally decided to sign up today. this seems to be the best forum for mustang/cobra talk on the web and i may be needing some help in the upcoming months. ive wanted a svt cobra for as long as i remember. when the 03' cobra was introduced, i fell in love. although they are more affordable than ever, i still dont have the money to invest on these cars. im a fraid my only hope is a clone for now. i wanted some onfo on cloning a gt (cosmetically) to look like the terminator. i have no idea how much it would cost and i may also be wrong about the exact differemces between their bodies, also. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Well you are going to get allot of mixed response im sure to this thread topic.

Here is my take. Dont bother and here are the reasons.

1) unless you are a body / paint guy you are going to be looking at between 5-6 grand to get all the parts, put them on the car and have it painted.. and that's prolly 2k short of whet it would actually cost.

2) Its a waste. If you like terminators keep saving and wait till you can actually afford one. Enjoy your GT for what it is.

Now that said.. the only things you need to make the gt look the same ( depending on year ) is Hood , Front and rear bumpers , side skirts , Rear deck lid with spoiler.

Wheels .. headlights and tail lights might differ depending year of GT as well.

As i said your better off just messing with the GT and waiting to buy a real cobra then the fuss of locating preping and painting the car. ( you might as well paint it all as you are changing so much skin )

I did the same thing wanted one but was just out of reach.. just kept waiting till i could afford it. Still miss my 94 Gt allot

Last edited:

fyeRc51

Established Member
Wow. Not only am i surprised but I am in a way very disappointed. I was thinking of keeping the engine drivetrain fairly stock for now. I had no clue body panels could be that much. I would think that there has to be ways to get by a little cheaper. I was thinking of doing the preping myself and paying a good friend to spray the unmatched panels the matching Ford paint. if anyone knows of any or has owned an clones, I would love to see pics.

Last edited:

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I hate to say it, but a clone is gonna look just like a cobra would?:shrug: minus badges unless of course you go the extra step to get matching ones as well.

and yes it can be costly.

One thing to note, dont called it a "Termi", Around here its called a "terminator". Take it as you will, but you will get roasted if the wrong person sees you calling it a "termi", and you will get a lot of shit for it

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
One thing to note, dont called it a "Termi", Around here its called a "terminator". Take it as you will, but you will get roasted if the wrong person sees you calling it a "termi", and you will get a lot of shit for it
+1

You say you've been around for a year OP....you should know this.

:read:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just save up till you can afford a real used 03/04 Cobra. Then you wont take shit for it being fake. There is a guy on here with a red one that looks fantastic and I've never seen anyone take so much shit for being fake. It wont be worth it in the end IMO. You seen them all the time now for well under 20 grand.

arc00ta

Established Member
Maybe PM rcn4god? He has a terminator cloned V6 that I wish my real terminator looked half as good as.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Termi? WTF?

When I first tried to buy a 98 Cobra, the salesman tried to talk me into a V-6.

"Slap a cobra on the fenders, and spoiler on the back and you won't know the difference." said the idiot.

I told him, "I don't don't care what's on the fenders. I care what's BETWEEN the fenders. Buh-Bye."

Problem was they weren't very many for sale at that time, so I kept on waiting and jumped when I finally found one. If I had found a V-6 body with a Cobra drivetrain, I would have been just as happy, but would have left the V-6 body alone. Insurance would charge me like it was a V-6 and I would have had even more fun with the ricers, especially if the D/S exhaust turned down and P/S was even shorter to complete the illusion of it being a V-6.

If you want a Cobra, then get a Cobra. Otherwise, just slap a snake on your fenders and a spoiler on the back.

Digital

Established Member
Painting so many body panels like that isn't going to look very good unless your paint is mint. Also the termi thin someone else mentioned as well as the huge hate towards posers. Should know most of this already if you really been around for a year researching this.

FORD4U

Established Member
save for a Cobra guys have bought cobras here for as cheap as 11-13k, some even cheaper, you will still spend a decent amount buying body parts even it you find good deals, front and rear bumpers often sell for 500,rear wing deck lid sells for close to 500 and hood sells for 4-500, thats close to 2g's just for the basic parts, not to include all the small stuff, plus like they said you will need to paint the entire car if you want it to look half way decent, then add in rims and now you just have a gt that people get excitied when they see it just to realize that its a gt. there is a nice clone in kansas city mo for like 6k though, may be cheaper to just buy one done.

fyeRc51

Established Member
+1

You say you've been around for a year OP....you should know this.

:read:

when i said ive been around for a year, i wasnt paying much attention to what you guys consider "proper" and correct labeling of these cars. if you guys want to jump on somebody for not following your ways, feel free. i was expecting it. if i leave out a couple letters when describing a car, and it offends you, id say you need to loosen up a bit.

anyway, as to the others i was maybe a little unclear. im not wanting to do this to feel accepted in any way by the "cobra community". i feel in love with the cars as a young man, and can not see myself getting into a real one with some other responsibilities that i have. i want to clone one for myself, for me. i know i will like the car and thats all that matters. i really appreciate the few posts that actually informed me on these things i didnt know. that is why i came here guys, and i appreciate that

FORD4U

Established Member
when i made my post and describe people walking up to realize that you have a gt and not a cobra was more so meant to explain that when the time comes and you want to sell it, it will most likely be difficult to get you some of the money back that you invested. if you are completely sold on the clone idea, you can find some parts fairly cheap if you look long enough. pm me i have some part you may be interested in

fyeRc51

Established Member
ford4u, thank you. i wasnt really refering to your post in general anyway. but i do appreciate the help guys. what is with the k.c. clone. i wanna check it out.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
hello everyone. ive been a reader of the forum for about a year, and i finally decided to sign up today. this seems to be the best forum for mustang/cobra talk on the web and i may be needing some help in the upcoming months. ive wanted a svt cobra for as long as i remember. when the 03' cobra was introduced, i fell in love. although they are more affordable than ever, i still dont have the money to invest on these cars. im a fraid my only hope is a clone for now. i wanted some onfo on cloning a gt (cosmetically) to look like the terminator. i have no idea how much it would cost and i may also be wrong about the exact differemces between their bodies, also. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

to clone a "Termi" buy any car, paint it pink. you have a TERMI.

Now if you are talking about a TERMINATOR that is a different ball of wax all together. From your post I am guessing you are just talking about the body panels which is really a waste of your money IMHO. but, it is your money so have at it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would have been just as happy, but would have left the V-6 body alone. Insurance would charge me like it was a V-6 and I would have had even more fun with the ricers, especially if the D/S exhaust turned down and P/S was even shorter to complete the illusion of it being a V-6.

Untill you had a wreck and they discovered you had been comitting fraud. They would likely not cover your damages and drop you like a hot potatoe

Users who are viewing this thread