how to: clone a termi

Digital

Established Member
Somebody has a slight superiority complex.....:rollseyes: Seriously, it's his car. If he can't afford a Cobra or has better things to do with his money than to buy a Terminator that's his business. Why do people get so butt hurt by what someone else does with the money they earn and the property they own? How does that affect you? I thought this was a website for car enthusiasts, not elitists. If you're excited about cars I thought you were welcome here. I agree, it's one thing to have a fake and try to pass it off as the real deal is a douchebag move. But if I own a V6 and don't have the need for speed, want the insurance premiums, can't/won't pay Terminator prices but love the look.... It is a good looking machine, I can't blame them.

It has nothing to with a superiority complex. People are proud of the terminator. It's more then a few body panels. There is a huge back story and history to the vehicle. If you have any respect and knowledge of the huge under taking the SVT team took into creating this legendary vehicle you too would feel insulted when someone slaps some aftermarket clone pieces on his sn95 trying to emulate the terminator.
When people see the terminator they think past the body and know the epic configuration under the skin. This guy wants to leach off that in claim to "just look good."

mrose75

Established Member
It has nothing to with a superiority complex. People are proud of the terminator. It's more then a few body panels. There is a huge back story and history to the vehicle. If you have any respect and knowledge of the huge under taking the SVT team took into creating this legendary vehicle you too would feel insulted when someone slaps some aftermarket clone pieces on his sn95 trying to emulate the terminator.
When people see the terminator they think past the body and know the epic configuration under the skin. This guy wants to leach off that in claim to "just look good."

I've read "the book" and I know what went into building the car. It seems you have more respect for the car than a human being who is...
scraping pennies together for a fender.

I love my Cobra just as much as any other enthusiast on this site, but what is it doing to you if somebody somewhere else wants to build a look a like? Did you build the Cobra yourself? Did your blood, sweat and tears go into it's production? You went down to the lot and bought it just like most other owners. This guy can't or won't do that for whatever reason, how's that any skin off your back?

And because the Terminator is so iconic it will be copied. To me that's just a testament to it's "badassedness".

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Some of these comments reminds me of the current gay marriage vs the defense of traditional marriage debate.
:pop:

Digital

Established Member
I've read "the book" and I know what went into building the car. It seems you have more respect for the car than a human being who is...

I love my Cobra just as much as any other enthusiast on this site, but what is it doing to you if somebody somewhere else wants to build a look a like? Did you build the Cobra yourself? Did your blood, sweat and tears go into it's production? You went down to the lot and bought it just like most other owners. This guy can't or won't do that for whatever reason, how's that any skin off your back?

And because the Terminator is so iconic it will be copied. To me that's just a testament to it's "badassedness".

No I didn't build the car at ford. I payed top dollar to have someone else do that. Which is the point. I didn't pay less and then strap on panels hoping to emulate something. I actually have spent more time wrenching on my car then the people at ford did but that isn't the point.

fobra00

Established Member
I've built 3 03 cobra clones One was 100% correct
I still owned the 2nd one i did 2001 Gt Only thing on it not o3 cobra is motor and trans

I did a silver 00 vert it was complete minus the engine.

This is a 2001 GT has all 03 cobra exterior parts,04 cobra seats,cluster,steering wheel airbags,IRS, But its a 2v automatic car.
Bought left over parts from a wrecked 03 cobra
IMG_1011_2.jpg

This is a 00 Gt vert 6spd,Irs full exterior swap,03 cobra dash mystic chrome seats,console Had bout $10k total in it including the car
IMG_0032_PB.jpg

CobraMac

Established Member
I've built 3 03 cobra clones One was 100% correct
I still owned the 2nd one i did 2001 Gt Only thing on it not o3 cobra is motor and trans

I did a silver 00 vert it was complete minus the engine.

This is a 2001 GT has all 03 cobra exterior parts,04 cobra seats,cluster,steering wheel airbags,IRS, But its a 2v automatic car.
Bought left over parts from a wrecked 03 cobra
IMG_1011_2.jpg

This is a 00 Gt vert 6spd,Irs full exterior swap,03 cobra dash mystic chrome seats,console Had bout $10k total in it including the car
IMG_0032_PB.jpg

So which one was 100% correct? Not one of the 3 you mentioned was 100% a real clone. All were missing major aspects...ie: engine, drivetrain. And why would you spend $10k "converting" a GT into a cobra?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
So which one was 100% correct? Not one of the 3 you mentioned was 100% a real clone. All were missing major aspects...ie: engine, drivetrain. And why would you spend $10k "converting" a GT into a cobra?

I would guess it's the 3rd one mentioned not pictured, which is weird. But he also said 10k in it including the car itself. I myself would not have put Cobra emblems and such on it just being a GT, but it's his ride.

fobra00

Established Member

I spent 10k including the car and had it completly painted

The first one was. I build was 100% complete motor trans,Irs everything sold it on the Corral for $17.5

I've built many saleen clones, A mach 1 vert, I come across alot of parts and enjoy building mustang. I probaly have owned 15 real cobra's also

FORD4U

Established Member
this guy is so right

dont get me wrong I LOVE the Cobra and everything that comes with it, but when it gets to the point to degrade a human over it, that isnt being an ass about it, thats to far for me, that makes me wonder if these cars are doing more good for us or if they are turning people into heartless people. oh and to copy something is often considered the highest form of flattery.

mrose75

Established Member
No I didn't build the car at ford. I payed top dollar to have someone else do that. Which is the point. I didn't pay less and then strap on panels hoping to emulate something. I actually have spent more time wrenching on my car then the people at ford did but that isn't the point.

So, the point is you spent money on yours so nobody should have anything like yours? I spent "Top Dollar" on mine too. Bought it brand new, November 2003. Your point makes no sense to me. I guess I'm damned to a life of eternal lack of intolerance....:shrug: It just isn't that serious to me, probably because I haven't wrenched on my car more than the people at Ford, or as much as the people who build clones do. Oh Snap!! Either way, you have your opinion, I have mine. No hard feelings, you opinion is just wrong.:poke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Digital

Established Member
So, the point is you spent money on yours so nobody should have anything like yours? I spent "Top Dollar" on mine too. Bought it brand new, November 2003. Your point makes no sense to me. I guess I'm damned to a life of eternal lack of intolerance....:shrug: It just isn't that serious to me, probably because I haven't wrenched on my car more than the people at Ford, or as much as the people who build clones do. Oh Snap!! Either way, you have your opinion, I have mine. No hard feelings, you opinion is just wrong.:poke:

lol. touche. I gave up on this thread a while ago mentally. It will be a eternal debate. It actually isn't that serious to me. I'm not going to hunt down clones and burn them down. But if I catch someone trying to pass their GT off as a cobra they'll hear about it.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
If you want to put cobra parts on your GT. Do it, dont let anyone tell you what do. Because there opinions mean shit..
If you want full out clone you would be better off buying a cobra.. But if you just want the exterior parts do it... Save yourself money and try to find them the same color as your car..

mrose75

Established Member
lol. touche. I gave up on this thread a while ago mentally. It will be a eternal debate. It actually isn't that serious to me. I'm not going to hunt down clones and burn them down. But if I catch someone trying to pass their GT off as a cobra they'll hear about it.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with it as well. :beer:

01trublue cobra

Established Member

So what is their reaction when you call them out on it?

CobraMac

Established Member
So what is their reaction when you call them out on it?

I've done it before....while I was IN my cobra. The guy had all the panels and badges on a V6 and still swore to me it was a real one as I'm sitting there in my car telling him it's not. So I tell him to pull into the next parking lot so we can pop the hoods and check out our engines. He immediately turned right at the next light.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
I've done it before....while I was IN my cobra. The guy had all the panels and badges on a V6 and still swore to me it was a real one as I'm sitting there in my car telling him it's not. So I tell him to pull into the next parking lot so we can pop the hoods and check out our engines. He immediately turned right at the next light.

:burn:

Digital

Established Member

That's usually how it goes. Someone is surrounded with people and they are talking it up and people are like *omg slobber!!* and I roll up, after a few moments of inspection I inform them at a louder tone that they don't have a cobra and that's when the greatest back pedaling of all times happens.

Users who are viewing this thread