How to live in cali with modded car?

lucheski

Established Member
I been wanting to move out to the "silicon vally" area (palo alto). One thing that keeps me from doing it is my car which is heavy modified...How do you guys deal with having a modded car is Cali? Do I have to have a smog number for every single part on the car?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
You will have to have a current Ca. "smog certificate" to register the car in Cali, usually costs about $60.00. The thing is out here they do a visual inspection and a sniffer test in most counties. Headers are a big no-no, if they see them, Then a new smog test every two years with your Tag renewal.... Living in the Ca. DMV world....

SuperTorched

Established Member
Well you are supposed to have carb eo numbers on parts. Really it depends on the smog guy. Some think the eaton is aftermarket. Some don't even know it is a supercharger. Then there is the guy who checks every part. For me I just make sure to change my midpipe back to stock and Im usually all good. Sorry if I didn't help much.

SuperTorched

Established Member
You will have to have a current Ca. "smog certificate" to register the car in Cali, usually costs about $60.00. The thing is out here they do a visual inspection and a sniffer test in most counties. Headers are a big no-no, if they see them, Then a new smog test every two years with your Tag renewal.... Living in the Ca. DMV world....

Headers will fail visual right away. Aren't they getting rid of the sniffer test as of Jan 1 in Ca? That will be a plus for us Ca modded cars

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Just find a "smog guy" that will pass it for a little extra cash, **** california emissions, i run my open pipes loud and proud!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I got really lucky since my mom lives in a smog exempt county. I had it smoged once (which was a pain in the ass) then registered it where she lives and I don't have to worry about smog ever again..

Granted if I ever get pulled over I run the risk of the Police checking everything, then I'm ****ed.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Im so glad Im not a permanent resident here in California. However, I really cant complain the cops have always treated me nicely in the last 3 years.

Cause they could have easily shut my fun down on several occasions

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
OP: I'd say we are the toughest when it comes down to emissions!!

Im so glad Im not a permanent resident here in California. However, I really cant complain the cops have always treated me nicely in the last 3 years.

Cause they could have easily shut my fun down on several occasions

I'd have to say being in military comes with its perks at times lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can register it out of state. But that can get you in trouble if it's your daily. Or you can find a guy that knows a guy.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Watch out for these:
remote_sensing_main.jpg

Remote smog sensors are appearing along California roadsides to measure emissions from cars as they drive by. The entire process takes about three seconds. Roadside smog test and emission test checkpoints are appearing all over the State of California.
· (1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.
· (2) At the same time, a camera snaps a picture of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.
· (3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

The Remote and roadside smog check sensing program aims to gather remote and roadside test records of 1 million individual vehicles, about 10 percent of all vehicles in the region. Cars, trucks, SUV, vans, and RVs which fail the remote or roadside smog check will be required to repair their vehicles. Vehicles may be eligible for Consumer Assistance Program.

Remote roadside smog testing equipment will be located for a few days at a time at more than 100 sites across four counties, most likely on freeway on-ramps. Some locations may alter or slow traffic flow as checkpoint personnal will direct only certain polluting vehicles to the roadside smog check area.
Remote and roadside smog testing locations will not be publicized and will be rotated on an unannounced basis to ensure an accurate sampling of the region’s vehicles.

DEFINITIONS - State of California Smog Station Definitions and Responsibilities

Smog Test & Repair Station - "Test and Repair" stations are authorized by the State of California to perform Regular smog inspections and smog check service, as well as diagnose and repair any vehicles which have failed the smog check. Test & Repair
smog stations can not certify vehicles requiring Test Only or Gold Shield inspections.

Smog Test Only Center - Smog test only centers are authorized by the State of
California to perform both Regular and Test Only smog inspections. They are not
allowed to perform any smog repairs. A Test Only center's main obligation is to perform
a non-bias and accurate smog inspection. They are certified to inspect all DMV
required vehicles.

Gold Shield (CAP) - Gold Shield stations are authorized by the Bureau of Automotive
Repair to perform, along with smog check repairs, regular smog inspections and test
only smog checks. A Gold Shield station is the only type of smog check center which
can inspect, repair and certify any and all vehicles. These stations are participants of
the State's Consumer Assistance Program and are inspected by the State of
California monthly.
Gold Shield smog stations may also perform smog repairs on vehicles participating in
the Consumer Assistance Program. CAP Stations maintain high standards of operation.

How to Pass the California Emissions Test. 3-Part Test.First, let's look at the three sections the California Smog Inspection consists of:· Emissions Inspection· The Visual Inspection· The Functional InspectionIMPORTANT: The State of California requires smog stations to test vehicles in the specific order listed above. The first inspection (emissions inspection) is performed by the exhaust gas analyzer "smog machine". During this step of the smog check inspection, the smog machine is looking for the presence of Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxides and Nitrous Oxides in your vehicle's exhaust. These are the three (3) undesired chemicals which are responsible for the production of SMOG. The next two inspections, the visual and functional, will be performed both by the smog technician and/or the smog machine.In order to pass Califoria's emissions test, your vehicle must produce passing results in all three test section.Enhanced Smog Test - In parts of California where smog pollution is higher, vehicle owners are now required to complete an "Enhanced" version of California's smog test. The "Enhanced" smog test requires your vehicle to be driven on a dynamometer while the smog machine collects emissions samples from the tailpipe. The "Enhanced" smog test has been proven to retrieve a more accurate sample of a vehicle's emissions output, then it's predecessor, the "Basic" smog test. The "Basic" smog test requires vehicles to be tested, only at idle and 2500 rpms. "Basic" smog test vehicles do not need to be driven on a dynomometer.Basic Smog Test -

Counties in California with low smog pollution require the "Basic" smog test. If your county has been added to the "Enhanced" smog test requirement list, the smog stations in your local area will have the neccessary equipment to test your vehicle. No specific action will be required by the vehicle owner.Change of Ownership - Counties with even less smog pollution are designated as "Change of Ownership" areas. In Change of Ownership parts of the state, smog checks are only required when a vehicle is bought or sold, and when a used vehicle is imported into the state of California. New vehicles imported into California by the vehicle manufacturer do not need smog checks. These vehicles are California certified during production.OBDII Smog Machine Link - The State of California now requires all vehicles 1996 and up, to communicate directly with the smog machine during the smog test. This is achieved via your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Connecter. As part of the smog inspection process, the smog technician will connect a Data Cable from the smog machine to your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Plug. This cable will deliver important "Check Engine" codes and "Readiness Flags" from the engine's computer system to the state's smog machine.

Emissions related failure codes will cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. The failure codes will be printed on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) which will be given to you by the smog station.Out-of-State Vehicles - It's true, there is a difference between California and Federal emissions equipped vehicles. And, for the most part California is much stricter when it comes to requiring vehicle manufacturers to equip their vehicles with smog reducing components. However, a used federal vehicle which has all (or only) its federal required emission components, can pass the California smog inspection process and be legally registered in this state. In other words, California will not restrict consumers from purchasing and bringing into the state a used vehicle which is equipped with federal emissions components only, so long as the vehicle was designed that way by the manufacturer. It will however not allow new federal vehicles into the state. New car dealers who wish to sell their products in California must import California emissions equipped vehicles only.

1hot281

Established Member
As stated above, it really depends on the Smog shop and smog tech... some are a little aloof when it comes to the visual inspection. But passing the tailpipe emissions sniffer is required, unless you pay extra for some sort of illegal arrangement.

Visual inspections involve any obviously aftermarket part needing a CARB E.O. number. Fail of the visual automatically fails the entire test.

Smog stations here also plug in to the ECU, and checks for codes and functioning sensors. If you have any sensors turned off via a custom tune, you will fail.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP: I'd say we are the toughest when it comes down to emissions!!

I'd have to say being in military comes with its perks at times lol

It helped earlier this week when I went to go "square away" my red light photo that was taken of me last week :beer:

Watch out for these:
remote_sensing_main.jpg

Remote smog sensors are appearing along California roadsides to measure emissions from cars as they drive by. The entire process takes about three seconds. Roadside smog test and emission test checkpoints are appearing all over the State of California.
· (1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.
· (2) At the same time, a camera snaps a picture of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.
· (3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

The Remote and roadside smog check sensing program aims to gather remote and roadside test records of 1 million individual vehicles, about 10 percent of all vehicles in the region. Cars, trucks, SUV, vans, and RVs which fail the remote or roadside smog check will be required to repair their vehicles. Vehicles may be eligible for Consumer Assistance Program.

Remote roadside smog testing equipment will be located for a few days at a time at more than 100 sites across four counties, most likely on freeway on-ramps. Some locations may alter or slow traffic flow as checkpoint personnal will direct only certain polluting vehicles to the roadside smog check area.
Remote and roadside smog testing locations will not be publicized and will be rotated on an unannounced basis to ensure an accurate sampling of the region’s vehicles.

DEFINITIONS - State of California Smog Station Definitions and Responsibilities

Smog Test & Repair Station - "Test and Repair" stations are authorized by the State of California to perform Regular smog inspections and smog check service, as well as diagnose and repair any vehicles which have failed the smog check. Test & Repair
smog stations can not certify vehicles requiring Test Only or Gold Shield inspections.

Smog Test Only Center - Smog test only centers are authorized by the State of
California to perform both Regular and Test Only smog inspections. They are not
allowed to perform any smog repairs. A Test Only center's main obligation is to perform
a non-bias and accurate smog inspection. They are certified to inspect all DMV
required vehicles.

Gold Shield (CAP) - Gold Shield stations are authorized by the Bureau of Automotive
Repair to perform, along with smog check repairs, regular smog inspections and test
only smog checks. A Gold Shield station is the only type of smog check center which
can inspect, repair and certify any and all vehicles. These stations are participants of
the State's Consumer Assistance Program and are inspected by the State of
California monthly.
Gold Shield smog stations may also perform smog repairs on vehicles participating in
the Consumer Assistance Program. CAP Stations maintain high standards of operation.

How to Pass the California Emissions Test. 3-Part Test.First, let's look at the three sections the California Smog Inspection consists of:· Emissions Inspection· The Visual Inspection· The Functional InspectionIMPORTANT: The State of California requires smog stations to test vehicles in the specific order listed above. The first inspection (emissions inspection) is performed by the exhaust gas analyzer "smog machine". During this step of the smog check inspection, the smog machine is looking for the presence of Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxides and Nitrous Oxides in your vehicle's exhaust. These are the three (3) undesired chemicals which are responsible for the production of SMOG. The next two inspections, the visual and functional, will be performed both by the smog technician and/or the smog machine.In order to pass Califoria's emissions test, your vehicle must produce passing results in all three test section.Enhanced Smog Test - In parts of California where smog pollution is higher, vehicle owners are now required to complete an "Enhanced" version of California's smog test. The "Enhanced" smog test requires your vehicle to be driven on a dynamometer while the smog machine collects emissions samples from the tailpipe. The "Enhanced" smog test has been proven to retrieve a more accurate sample of a vehicle's emissions output, then it's predecessor, the "Basic" smog test. The "Basic" smog test requires vehicles to be tested, only at idle and 2500 rpms. "Basic" smog test vehicles do not need to be driven on a dynomometer.Basic Smog Test -

Counties in California with low smog pollution require the "Basic" smog test. If your county has been added to the "Enhanced" smog test requirement list, the smog stations in your local area will have the neccessary equipment to test your vehicle. No specific action will be required by the vehicle owner.Change of Ownership - Counties with even less smog pollution are designated as "Change of Ownership" areas. In Change of Ownership parts of the state, smog checks are only required when a vehicle is bought or sold, and when a used vehicle is imported into the state of California. New vehicles imported into California by the vehicle manufacturer do not need smog checks. These vehicles are California certified during production.OBDII Smog Machine Link - The State of California now requires all vehicles 1996 and up, to communicate directly with the smog machine during the smog test. This is achieved via your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Connecter. As part of the smog inspection process, the smog technician will connect a Data Cable from the smog machine to your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Plug. This cable will deliver important "Check Engine" codes and "Readiness Flags" from the engine's computer system to the state's smog machine.

Emissions related failure codes will cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. The failure codes will be printed on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) which will be given to you by the smog station.Out-of-State Vehicles - It's true, there is a difference between California and Federal emissions equipped vehicles. And, for the most part California is much stricter when it comes to requiring vehicle manufacturers to equip their vehicles with smog reducing components. However, a used federal vehicle which has all (or only) its federal required emission components, can pass the California smog inspection process and be legally registered in this state. In other words, California will not restrict consumers from purchasing and bringing into the state a used vehicle which is equipped with federal emissions components only, so long as the vehicle was designed that way by the manufacturer. It will however not allow new federal vehicles into the state. New car dealers who wish to sell their products in California must import California emissions equipped vehicles only.

That looks like a frickin IED like contraption. My tailpipes would probubly break the machine. And then they would be like, damn those Oklahomans![/

In some cases I really like California....but sometimes I think the state could spend money else where to make things better...shrug

And how do they enforce this for out of state plates and out of state drivers license? I'll bet they cant.

Last edited:

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
From what I understand is that you are not required to stop at those mobile smog stations. You have to "volunteer" (which you shouldn't). As far as having a modified car in CA..well put it this way..I sold my 95 cobra for a new Shelby. One of the big selling points was to not have to worry about the smog police..getting pulled over...looking under the car and checking all the CARB exemptions numbers. If I did not have them...well that is called instant tow (depends on the police officer). Even if your car is legit some smog stations will not touch the car (even if everything is legit smog part wise). An an example I had aftermarket wires and a distributor cap and the smog guys say...sorry modified just by the color of the wires and cap....I cannot test your car....absolutely ridiculous:bs:. So instead of dealing with all that crap and wanting to just enjoy driving...I sold my previous baby off.

1hot281

Established Member
From what I understand is that you are not required to stop at those mobile smog stations. You have to "volunteer" (which you shouldn't).

While true, that you don't have to volunteer at the mobile smog check-points... it's wise to do so.

My girlfriend works for CARB, and said those check-points are primarily for CARB and DMV data gathering. Not to issue citations. But usually, they have a cop a block or so up the road, who they'll radio if a clearly modified car refuses to "volunteer" when selected, and get that car pulled over to see what's what.

lucheski

Established Member
What happends when if they pull you over and find a non-CARB part on your car?

I am not worried about my car passing a sniffer rather someone looking at the air intake and grumbling about it

Are there any non-emissions countys that are close to a major city?

How often do you have to get your car checked is it every 2 or 3 years?

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
While true, that you don't have to volunteer at the mobile smog check-points... it's wise to do so.

My girlfriend works for CARB, and said those check-points are primarily for CARB and DMV data gathering. Not to issue citations. But usually, they have a cop a block or so up the road, who they'll radio if a clearly modified car refuses to "volunteer" when selected, and get that car pulled over to see what's what.

Thats when you suddenly get a mechanical problem and break down "wink wink" and have to call a tow truck to help get you out of there. **** california, one of the richest states to live in yet its so broke they resort to shady shit like this.

1hot281

Established Member
What happends when if they pull you over and find a non-CARB part on your car?

I am not worried about my car passing a sniffer rather someone looking at the air intake and grumbling about it

Are there any non-emissions countys that are close to a major city?

How often do you have to get your car checked is it every 2 or 3 years?

If your car is suspected of having illegal modifications (wether it does or not), you get a citation. Usually a fix-it ticket. If it is actually modified, you usually have return it to road legal condition. Wether it was illegally modded or not, you take your car to a state referee to prove it is no longer or was never illegally modified.

I believe in some extreme cases (nitrous kits, off-road pipes with no cats) the officer can actually have your car towed.

You have to smog every two years here in Sacramento county. I don't know about other counties.

Users who are viewing this thread