How-To: Lowering Springs on my 2012 Boss

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Then you should wait to see what Ford Racing comes up with on the springs. I'm told they are direct bolt on with no other mods needed and are suitable for both track and street. They will not slam the car.

Any word on when they might come out or relase the drop for those? I thought about going with the steeda boss ones, but they only lower 0.8 in rear and that is still going to look high.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Any word on when they might come out or relase the drop for those? I thought about going with the steeda boss ones, but they only lower 0.8 in rear and that is still going to look high.
I keep hearing "soon" and I hope we have the details by the end of March. FR is testing them on a Boss so they should be dialed in when they are available. I think the drop will be similar to the Steeda's but I don't know for sure. If you want a bigger drop then you're looking at other modifications needed.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Looks great. I have been back and forth on what springs to get for my car. Really dont want to lower a ton and have to deal with caster/camber and panhard bar and want to stay away from dragging the front splitter on everything. Mine is street driven as well. Did you think you need the adjustable pan hard bar? Do you scrape the splitter on everything now or no?

No, but I've driven lowered vehicles for so long that I automatically go sideways if its steep, and the splitter hit curbs before it was lowered.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
you said 1.5 rear and .75 front is the advertised drop, but the site says 1.25 front and 1.5 rear. Is this becasue the boss is lower in the front from factory and doesnt drop as much as gt? Did you leave the stock panhard?

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
you said 1.5 rear and .75 front is the advertised drop, but the site says 1.25 front and 1.5 rear. Is this becasue the boss is lower in the front from factory and doesnt drop as much as gt? Did you leave the stock panhard?

Yes; the site ratings are for a GT so I subtracted Ford's advertised drop (1mm front/11mm IIRC?) for the Boss to get what it should be. We did nothing but springs; no C/C plates and no aftermarket panhard.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Looks good!

Just an FYI, these springs that were installed are not actually a true progressive.

They are a dual rate, with a linear working rate. The first softer rate is compressed at ride height, and during driving....the linear rate is the working rate when cornering, racing, etc.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
warning no real point of this post.

Ordered these springs today based on this thread. Car looks awesome Hybred. going to install friday.

65sohc

Established Member
I haven't had the opportunity to track the car, but with some aggressive street driving on some nice sweepers and off-ramps I've noticed no real change in handling. The only difference I've noticed is that it's a little more jounce on the highway, but I may be able to tune that out with a shock adjustment. I considered holding off to do a timed comparison at a local track, but honestly my own driving skills are too inconsistent for that to be fair to the springs LOL. I hope to hit the track sometime in the next month and put this car through the paces though :beer:

Now that you've had these springs for a while have you been able to dial out the extra jounce you mentioned with damper adjustment? My friend has BMR spings on his 2013 GT with stock dampers. Overall it's pretty comfortable though the ride motions are not as well-controlled as on my Boss.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I honestly haven't messed with it, as it doesn't really bother me. The car still handles unnaturally well.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Poor pic but just installed. Stance is great.
14bf5302.jpg

04sonicbeast

Established Member
just some quick advice on the rear install, you don't need to remove the panhard/or bolts when removing or installing the springs, just the shocks at the bottom and brake brackets, I just installed my Ford Racing P springs which lower it the same. Looks great OP.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
car feels good. I set the shocks to 4 at the same time probably shouldn't have but wanted to firm it up a bit. So not really sure on what the springs alone feel like.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Meh....just noticed these are progressive...WTF? Thats like putting all-season tires on a Boss as an "upgrade." You can't serve two masters...you're either stiff for performance or you're plush for the potholes:nono:

I have searched for linear rate springs close to or a little stiffer than the stock Boss springs but with about a 0.5-0.75 drop up front and 1.0-1.25 drop in the rear.

Where can I find a linear rate spring???

BTW the car does look good and BMR told me they were 160lb. linear rate. The rear springs that is, that's all I was looking for....

65sohc

Established Member
I'm a bit confused. Why do the Ford Racing springs require GT 500 top strut mounts and the BMR's can use the stock mounts?

stinkfist4.6

Established Member
03 shadow did u just install the bmr springs and do an alignment or did u install the panhard bar as well. I just bought this same set of springs for my ride and want to know what all exactly is everyone buying besides the springs ie panhard bar camber bolts relocation bracket ect

Car looks freakin sick with that drop

Users who are viewing this thread