How-To: Lowering Springs on my 2012 Boss

86Fbody

Established Member
I'm a bit confused. Why do the Ford Racing springs require GT 500 top strut mounts and the BMR's can use the stock mounts?

Where did you read/hear that the springs require a different strut mount. I believe your thinking about if you switch struts to Koni's or something other then stock.

65sohc

Established Member
You left out the part where the upper strut mounts come apart and the ball bearings drop all over the floor.

86Fbody

Established Member
You left out the part where the upper strut mounts come apart and the ball bearings drop all over the floor.

It does say in the write up that this can happen, but it sounds like it can be avoided if your careful.

65sohc

Established Member
It does say in the write up that this can happen, but it sounds like it can be avoided if your careful.

You're right. I just reread it. The red text threw me off. So, hypothetically, if it's Friday afternoon, you excitedly remove the strut/spring assembly, compress the spring, gently lift up on the mount and it still comes apart is it ruined or can it still be used? This is what happened to me. I didn't relish the thought of having my car in pieces for a week waiting for new mounts to come, or explaining the situation to my wife after swearing I would never do to this car what I'd done to every one of my other cars (mod them to the point of misery), so I bought a bunch of ball bearings at a hardware store and buttoned everything thing back up. So far it seems OK.

86Fbody

Established Member
You're right. I just reread it. The red text threw me off. So, hypothetically, if it's Friday afternoon, you excitedly remove the strut/spring assembly, compress the spring, gently lift up on the mount and it still comes apart is it ruined or can it still be used? This is what happened to me. I didn't relish the thought of having my car in pieces for a week waiting for new mounts to come, or explaining the situation to my wife after swearing I would never do to this car what I'd done to every one of my other cars (mod them to the point of misery), so I bought a bunch of ball bearings at a hardware store and buttoned everything thing back up. So far it seems OK.

I read that someone else did the same thing, the bearings came out and they were able to find all of them, put them back in, and then put the mounts back on without an issue.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I highly recommend just purchasing a new set from Ford for around $100.

Trust me when I say this, the odds of inheriting "noise" from re-using the "used" USM's is very high.

My best recommendation is to acquire some 2005-2010 Style Struts, and use the GT500 USM.

04nccobra

Established Member
car is still filthy but the windows are getting tinted Saturday.
1a14d03a.jpg

before pic (should have turned the car around for the after)
2efe1de4.jpg

Looks great I am lowering my white GT with the Hotchkis Sport springs next weekend,

86Fbody

Established Member

Trust me when I say this, the odds of inheriting "noise" from re-using the "used" USM's is very high.

My best recommendation is to acquire some 2005-2010 Style Struts, and use the GT500 USM.

Would this happen if you were very careful taking the hat off the spring/strut or regardless you will get some noise? Doesn't sound like others have complained.

65sohc

Established Member

Well, like I said, this occurred over a Friday evening/Saturday morning and I couldn't bear to have my car in pieces for the better part of a week. I replaced springs and struts on my '06 GT and '09 Shelby and never ran into anything like this. If I have problems down the line I'll just get some new Boss mounts. No way I'm going to ditch the Boss struts so I can use GT 500 mounts.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Would this happen if you were very careful taking the hat off the spring/strut or regardless you will get some noise? Doesn't sound like others have complained.

It depends. I speak with customers all day long about this topic, and you wouldn't believe how many people have issues from re-using them.

Our car had 150 miles on it when we ripped it all apart to develop suspension for it, and our mounts made noise after a few hard "outings"..

The Ford Manual calls for replacement of the USM's anytime the unit is taken apart. AKA, never re-use them.

Users who are viewing this thread