How to rebuild your differential?

beastmar

Established Member
Hey guys, I am looking to rebuild my differential since I am having some leaking issues. I have a new trac-lok to put in but I don't know what else I would need. Would I need to break open the trac-lok in order to set in the ring and pinion seals and crush washers? Any help is appreciated. Also before anyone says that I should upgrade my bushings now... I already have the FTBR kit.

MG0h3

Established Member
Are you replacing the bearings or just the clutch pack? If you haven't done a ring and pinion before you might want to have a pro do it since getting the diff in and out is a bit of work. If you're replacing the whole differential rather than installing new clutches, yes, you have to swap the ring gear. In theory you should be ok but you'll want to check your backlash and pattern to be safe.

Unless I was having some bearing noise or otherwise knew it needed a rebuild I would just do the clutches and seals.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

beastmar

Established Member
Are you replacing the bearings or just the clutch pack? If you haven't done a ring and pinion before you might want to have a pro do it since getting the diff in and out is a bit of work. If you're replacing the whole differential rather than installing new clutches, yes, you have to swap the ring gear. In theory you should be ok but you'll want to check your backlash and pattern to be safe.

Unless I was having some bearing noise or otherwise knew it needed a rebuild I would just do the clutches and seals.

I don't have any issues with dropping the IRS and removing the pumpkin. I've done it before. Other than the trac-lok and 3.55 gears, what else is inside the differential? When you say seals, which seals would you recommend replacing? Are any special tools needed when doing this? Thanks!

Also how would I go about checking backlash and pattern?

hotcobra03

Established Member
go to top of threads..

before posting sticky.

here you will find to ford service manual.

the small version works on cell..

has everything you need to know.

along with footnotes on reassembly

beastmar

Established Member
go to top of threads..

before posting sticky.

here you will find to ford service manual.

the small version works on cell..

has everything you need to know.

along with footnotes on reassembly

I am downloading now. I know I have this manual at my home computer. I just never thought about searching for it. Thank you

MG0h3

Established Member
I don't have any issues with dropping the IRS and removing the pumpkin. I've done it before. Other than the trac-lok and 3.55 gears, what else is inside the differential? When you say seals, which seals would you recommend replacing? Are any special tools needed when doing this? Thanks!

Also how would I go about checking backlash and pattern?

For tools a big torque wrench, inch lbs torque wrench (gauge type not click), and a puller for the carrier bearings. If you're doing a full rebuild the kit will come with the axle seals and pinion seal I would think; just confirm on the axle seals.

Soap

Established Member
I have a 31 spline Eaton TrueTrac for sale if you are interested. Just pulled it out of my car, zero issues.

--Joe

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
This was on my Mach 1 SRA (but similar). Honestly- just buy a new cobra diff. New and pre-assembled it’s cheaper to buy a new unit than pay for new spider gears and the clutches kit.

zredfire04

Established Member
I also have a spare diff. I have new c.f. clutches and side gears to put in it.

I was going to rebuild my diff, but after I found out how hard it was to drop the center section I decided to go with a trutrac.

So now I have extra parts that I'll never use and will take a bath on IF I can sell it.

beastmar

Established Member
This was on my Mach 1 SRA (but similar). Honestly- just buy a new cobra diff. New and pre-assembled it’s cheaper to buy a new unit than pay for new spider gears and the clutches kit.

Right! If I can even find a new unit. Any ideas? I've checked ebay and even tried google searching it.

I also have a spare diff. I have new c.f. clutches and side gears to put in it.

I was going to rebuild my diff, but after I found out how hard it was to drop the center section I decided to go with a trutrac.

So now I have extra parts that I'll never use and will take a bath on IF I can sell it.

What extra parts do you have? Do you have the whole differential or just the trak lock?

Users who are viewing this thread