HP Tuners 2.25 BETA Release (2011+ Mustang supported + others)

yngrshr

Established Member
I don't know why. Most of the reputable tuners will send you an open copy of your tune as is for an extra fee, and the agreement to not pass on to others. Coming form HPT and GM tuning in the past, I was appalled when I saw how closed off the information sharing is for Mustang's. The software was lacking and everyone was so secretive.

Yes, a lot of combos will work great with a canned tune due to the inclusion of WB02s from the factory on these cars. But then there's tons of other things that can change how a car behaves that a user might want to setup differently and not have to go back and forth with a tuner to adjust small things like shift schedules.

Tunes have always been able to be opened and reviewed for GM cars (LS1 or higher) and yet there are tons of shops and tuners still doing great business.

My two cents -- any tuner should be doing it without a fee. I've never bothered with anyone who locks their tunes or charges extra for an unlocked tune.

If they don't trust you not to give it to all your friends, than I wouldn't trust them to tune my car.

Not really. I actually work in the automotive field and see everything. Average person will not be buying this to try.

I still think this is a great option for people that want to give tweaking tunes a shot.

I can assure you that this is incorrect since I've seen countless guys hurt their engines tuning themselves. It's both sad and funny. It happens way, way too often, though. Most dudes do it without ever even going to the HPTuners forum, too. Just open up the software and grenade the engine.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
04sleeper is correct.

48962771.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I can assure you that this is incorrect since I've seen countless guys hurt their engines tuning themselves. It's both sad and funny. It happens way, way too often, though. Most dudes do it without ever even going to the HPTuners forum, too. Just open up the software and grenade the engine.

Bingo

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I am sure this has been asked but is there/will there be support for 2003-2004 Cobra?

03Steve

Established Member
It would be neat to find and enable the Ethanol Learning Switch, turning the Mustangs into flex fuel vehicles off the widebands like the F-150s.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
My two cents -- any tuner should be doing it without a fee. I've never bothered with anyone who locks their tunes or charges extra for an unlocked tune.

If they don't trust you not to give it to all your friends, than I wouldn't trust them to tune my car.

Seriously? You think these tuners should trust all their customers that they don't even know??? Thats cute

Last edited:

yngrshr

Established Member
Seriously? You think these tuners should trust all their customers that they don't even know??? Thats cute

Yes I do. It's cute that you don't think one shouldn't have access to the tune that goes into their car.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Have you ever dealt with the general public.... or spoken to other local "car guys"? Some idiot would mess with the tune, blow his motor, and then blame the tuner. Its naive to think otherwise

yngrshr

Established Member
Have you ever dealt with the general public.... or spoken to other local "car guys"? Some idiot would mess with the tune, blow his motor, and then blame the tuner. Its naive to think otherwise

Some idiot would do that no matter what. That's not the reason tunes are locked. Tunes are locked because some guys worry that their tune will get out into the open. On the LS side, it's mostly shitty tuners that lock their tunes since they don't want them picked apart on the HPTuners board. Have seen it multiple times first hand. I don't know enough about the Mustang tuners to comment there.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
some idiot would do that no matter what. That's not the reason tunes are locked. Tunes are locked because some guys worry that their tune will get out into the open. On the ls side, it's mostly shitty tuners that lock their tunes since they don't want them picked apart on the hptuners board. Have seen it multiple times first hand. I don't know enough about the mustang tuners to comment there.

this guy gets it!

Shaun@AED

Some idiot would do that no matter what. That's not the reason tunes are locked. Tunes are locked because some guys worry that their tune will get out into the open. On the LS side, it's mostly shitty tuners that lock their tunes since they don't want them picked apart on the HPTuners board. Have seen it multiple times first hand. I don't know enough about the Mustang tuners to comment there.

Wrong, it's those of us that buy the Vehicles for R&D to LEARN how to properly tune them, invest hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that want our tunes locked. I'm looking at a $60K investment to learn the 2015's without accounting for my time. That's the vehicle + parts modifications....just turn around and sell tunes for $250 a pop.
Not to mention the Over head of my shop and have you priced out a chassis dyno lately? Add it all up, it costs GOOD $$$ to LEARN how to tune these new Fords. They are NOT easy! I've been working on the EcoBoost tunes for over a year, and I'm no fool when it comes to how Ford does their calibrations.
Do the math, how many cars must I tune and how many hours must I work to recoup that investment?

I have NOTHING against those of you that want to tune your own cars. But do it on your own from SCRATCH like I did (and a most of the quality Coyote tuners out there).

this guy gets it!

You sure don't.

BTW, the Flex fuel switch is THERE. Check your SCT database again.

Last edited:

yngrshr

Established Member
Wrong, it's those of us that buy the Vehicles for R&D to LEARN how to properly tune them, invest hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that want our tunes locked. I'm looking at a $60K investment to learn the 2015's without accounting for my time. That's the vehicle + parts modifications....just turn around and sell tunes for $250 a pop.
Not to mention the Over head of my shop an chassis dyno and have you priced out a chassis dyno lately? Add it all up, it costs GOOD $$$ to LEARN how to tune these new Fords. They are NOT easy! I've been working on the EcoBoost tunes for over a year, and I'm no fool when it comes to how Ford does their calibrations.
Do the math, how many cars must I tune and how many hours must I work to recoup that investment?

I have NOTHING against those of you that want to tune your own cars. But do it on your own from SCRATCH like I did (and a most of the quality Coyote tuners out there).

As I said, I don't know about the Ford guys.

A number of the best LS guys don't lock their tunes. My good friend is one of the best LS tuners on the East Coast and he's never locked a single tune in his life. You go onto Tech and no one enjoys locked tunes. It seems to be more accepted here in the Ford world, but that's just anecdotal on my part. But, as I said, this is just my view from the LS world. Most of the guys locking tunes seemed to be clowns and wanted to mask their crap work.

That's why I prefaced my post saying I'm not talking about Ford guys at all since it seems to be more of the opposite on here where all of the legit guys lock their work. It's a different mindset and I find that a bit interesting for sure.

I certainly understand why someone would lock it. But if I am going to pay for a tune from a tuner using HPTuners, I want to have the ability to edit the file and change stuff on it if I feel like it (at the minimum, I would like to have the ability to look at all of the edits). I have no idea with the SCT shit, so I wouldn't bother editing it in the first place. I'm not a big fan of spending money without the ability to look at what was done. I sort of feel like there is a lack of trust in locking a tune.

I will say that there is one LS guy who I know for a fact learned to "tune" based on reading other peoples' shit. And I can see how that would piss off everyone. But I'd rather just see that kind of crap called out in the public then see people locking their stuff down.

Just my two cents. While I understand the reasoning, I'm not a big fan of it.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

As I said, I don't know about the Ford guys.

A number of the best LS guys don't lock their tunes. My good friend is one of the best LS tuners on the East Coast and he's never locked a single tune in his life. You go onto Tech and no one enjoys locked tunes. It seems to be more accepted here in the Ford world, but that's just anecdotal on my part. But, as I said, this is just my view from the LS world. Most of the guys locking tunes seemed to be clowns and wanted to mask their crap work.

That's why I prefaced my post saying I'm not talking about Ford guys at all since it seems to be more of the opposite on here where all of the legit guys lock their work. It's a different mindset and I find that a bit interesting for sure.

I certainly understand why someone would lock it. But if I am going to pay for a tune from a tuner using HPTuners, I want to have the ability to edit the file and change stuff on it if I feel like it (at the minimum, I would like to have the ability to look at all of the edits). I have no idea with the SCT shit, so I wouldn't bother editing it in the first place. I'm not a big fan of spending money without the ability to look at what was done. I sort of feel like there is a lack of trust in locking a tune.

I will say that there is one LS guy who I know for a fact learned to "tune" based on reading other peoples' shit. And I can see how that would piss off everyone. But I'd rather just see that kind of crap called out in the public then see people locking their stuff down.

Just my two cents. While I understand the reasoning, I'm not a big fan of it.

If you only knew how many "Professional" tuners started out by reading others tunes....

It makes no business sense to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars buying cars & equipment for R&D only to have the guy down the street take your work and sell it as their own (likely cheaper).

Last edited:

ebrow21

Established Member
I understand your concern that this will impact your buisness model, but I'm not sure what the argument is. The cat is out of the bag, so to speak. At this point, people are going to do what they do with the tunes.

If you haven't ever looked at another tuners file/data more power to you. Not sure you've been playing on a level playing field if so though.

Everyone is jumping ship to the 15's anyway, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread