Huge project!!!!! Need opinions...

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a short summary of what i'm doing and looking for help with : Swapping a 3.8L v6:fm: w/ an 04 mach 1 4.6 and putting on an air to air intercooled vortech supercharger. I'm looking for insight on the install, suggestions or comments, tips or pointers / really anything in general. And yes, I know the swap has been covered.

Here is the longwinded version : I'm a United States Marine in California, and as much as I love my job, I love my car just as much. I picked the car up for 2k in 2007 and have been transforming it into something else entirely. I bought a 4.6L DOHC 32v v8 from a donor car a few years ago along w/ the ecu, wiring harness, 3650 trans, d.s., and 8.8 rear w/ 3.55s. I planned on putting it in immediately, but I've been to Iraq twice (2005-06 and 08-09) and Afghanistan twice (2009-10 and 11-12) I had 07 off from the war on terrorism. :banana: so that has put a kink in my timeline obviously. I just got back about a month ago, and have been piecing together the other things i needed for my swap... radiator, fan and shroud, ccrm, UPR off-road x, hydraboost, etc... Then i said to hell w/ it.. If the engine is out, I might as well go big or go home, so I bought a vortech v2 T-trim w/ air to air intercooler and blow through maf from the forums here. And of course that led to me needing more things... Just picked up dual focus pumps, K.B. bap, and forged manley I beams and pistons (18cc dish for 8.5:1 compression). I'm still looking for a dual fpdm set up and 60lb injectors. I'm doing the swap w/ two other Marines and they were professional mechanics prior to the Corps. I'm handy myself, so the entire swap will be done on base by us and then trailered to a tune shop for the electrical hookups, pats and tuning. I'm very familiar w/ what is required for the engine swap, but the only thing i can find on an intercooler / vortech install is for the aftercooled model and I have no pictures as reference:cuss:. So if you have some useful places i could find solid information on any or all of the things involved in the swap (spec. the k.b. bap install, vortech and i.c. install) it would be a HUGE help. I'm shooting for 425 to the wheels, maybe a little more on a safe tune. I know its impossible to tell, but does that seem reasonable? If you have any suggestions whatsoever, things you think I should pick up, parts that worked well for you or solid install info please let me know. I appreciate you taking the time to read this huge novel. :beer:

This will be the final setup : 2004 mach 1 4.6L 32v V8 w/ forged internals (8.5:1 C.R.), Vortech v2 T-trim air to air intercooled supercharger, stock 3650 trans, d.s and 8.8" rear w/ 3.55s, dual focus pumps w/ K.B. bap, 60lb injectors and dual fpdm. Thanks again for the help.

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
I've been thinking for a while that 8.5 is too low for a centri, and someone on the corral forum said the same thing. But until recently a lot of people were suggesting that. i just think it may make it a dog out of boost...?

mach1033

Established Member
Not sure if anyone on here did this type of swap. Have you tried posting in the Mach 1 section? If you stay with the 8.5.1 compression then I would swap the 355's to 410's. What suspension are you going with?

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
yeah, i definitely should put it up there instead. the mach comes stock w/ 3.55s, but i was thinking 4.10s w/ the centri... awesome, thanks for the info on the K.B. bap. and thanks for supporting the military. we appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread