Hydraulic Shop Press for home

Black2010

Established Member
After tackling the IRS bushings last weekend and still needing to tackle the front I've been serious considering just picking up a press. I don't need one to often but I do find times where one would be useful periodically.

Since it's not an every day use type of thing I was thinking about something like this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8151...0&cadevice=c&gclid=CIqKxtiXs9ACFQQoaQodh8IFfw

Anyone have experience with this one or another one you would recommend? Ideally trying to stay below $200 but could up that a little if it makes for a big difference. Also, any benefit in going with a 20 Ton over a 12? Seems like 12 would be enough for bushings, bearings and ball joints.

joshcarp81

Established Member
if you have a harbor freight close to you wait for a sale and nab a 20 ton. Pretty sure I paid around what that jegs one cost when I got mine on sale. Works great too. had it for 4 years or so now. I also bought a 12 ton for my step dad and he hasntn used it much but no problems there either

cj428mach

Established Member
I agree, buy a 20tn version, a 12 tons sounds like a lot but a constant pressing force really isn't all that strong.

I know I've tried removing bearings off a shaft with a 20tn press and it wouldn't even budge them, then you whack them with a large sledge hammer and they'll bust loose, a 12tn may do some of what you need but its not impossible to need something bigger for the average home shop.

MG0h3

Established Member
I picked up the harbor freight 6ton which has the same frame as the other two listed above. Was able to press my rear wheel bearings out but holy shit it took every ounce that thing could offer. I dont see myself using it all that often is why I went with the 6ton. 130bucks and the checkout chick gave me warranty for free

TxCobra76

Established Member
Harbor frieght here also. Can't remember if it's 20t or 30t but it's handy. I use it mostly for bearing removal and install on gear bearings. It's also great at straightening bent brackets.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the 20 ton. I've pushed it a couple removing bearings and stuff. I almost got the lower rating. I'm glad my wife talked me into the 20 ton.

joshcarp81

Established Member
a little tip when I worked for a friend at his transmission shop. if you have a stuck bushing or bearing we could sometimes help them along by tapping the material they are pressed into while under pressure to get them to pop. heat also helped obviously.
the one there was an air/hydraulic big bastard and still had a couple cringe worthy stuck bearings. as in just waiting for something to explode from the pressure! lol

Black2010

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback. I'll pick up a 20T. Sounds like it's a worth while investment. I do have a Harbor Freight close by so I'll wait for a sale and cash in a coupon.

Users who are viewing this thread