Hypothetical 00R trade

oregon87

Established Member
00R owners, a poll question, if you will. Hypothetically, if you were offered to trade a 10K plus mile 00R straight across for a Detomaso Pantera, how would you react? I understand the devil is in the details, but let's just say the Pantera is well maintained, mostly original '73. If anyone has any real world experience driving a Pantera, I'd love to hear about it. To be clear, no such offer is on the table, I've just always had a fascination with Panteras.

robvas

Established Member
Have those things skyrocketed in value? I remember them being in the teens

oregon87

Established Member
I don't have room in the garage. There's a 911 and Ducati in there, as well. ;)

Last edited:

MIKED17

Established Member
Ok I own both cars and they are completely different animals. I've owned my Pantera for over 30 years and its heavily modified with an aluminum 427 cleveland with hilborns etc and I've had the R about 12 years....truthfully I'll take the Pantera any day over the R just for the wow factor. Unfortunately most people even car guys don't know what the R is they think I put a wing and splitter on an SN95. The R is more comfortable than the Pantera and they handle about the same but thats pretty much where it ends. The driving experience of the two is alot different as well and even though they handle about the same with the Pantera you are lower and seated slightly more forward than the R and it gives you a better sense and feel of the road.
pantera pic with 19 OZ wheel.jpg

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Ok I own both cars and they are completely different animals. I've owned my Pantera for over 30 years and its heavily modified with an aluminum 427 cleveland with hilborns etc and I've had the R about 12 years....truthfully I'll take the Pantera any day over the R just for the wow factor. Unfortunately most people even car guys don't know what the R is they think I put a wing and splitter on an SN95. The R is more comfortable than the Pantera and they handle about the same but thats pretty much where it ends. The driving experience of the two is alot different as well and even though they handle about the same with the Pantera you are lower and seated slightly more forward than the R and it gives you a better sense and feel of the road.View attachment 1816326

I would trade in a heartbeat as long as the Pantera was in good condition

If the Pantera was like the one that Miked17 owns, there's no question about the trade - it would be done.

Put it this way, the Pantera (to me) is rarer than the R and its value is increasing faster than the R (IF and only IF one is looking at a vehicle as future "investment").

As far as the actual machine itself, at this stage no one is daily driving either one of those vehicles, so for all intentional purposes when taking one out for a cruise, the Pantera will still garner the attention faster than any Mustang (regardless if R or not) and same with it at shows. People will go up to a Pantera faster than model XYZ next to or surrounding it. It just has the draw and they're just very rare to see "today".

In no way am I downplaying a 00R - just saying when it comes to being very unique, the Pantera is it.

I was at a local show earlier this year and there was a Pantera Owner there with his Pantera (red like Miked17's) and it was in original condition with minimal mods. I chatted with him for a few mins - and out of the blue he said "go on, take a seat in it". I was surprised because MOST people with a car valued at 6-figures or more usually don't offer for strangers to sit in their vehicles let alone touch anything on them. It was great that he was just down to earth and was willing to "share" the experience which to him is just "normal" but to people like me it's a genuine "wow" factor. I did sit in it, really cool and it was the first time I've ever sat in a Pantera. Seen many at shows over the last 25+ years, but was never offered the opportunity. He didn't blink an eye either, didn't say be careful, didn't say watch getting in or out, didn't say don't touch this or that, he didn't have any of those concerns - he was just genuine enough to share and give people that experience.

But yea, if I had an 00R and there was a Pantera owner with one in equal condition and there was the opportunity that both parties discussed a trade - there wouldn't even be a question, it would be here's my 00R, title, and enjoy the 00R - how ya doing Pantera!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok I own both cars and they are completely different animals. I've owned my Pantera for over 30 years and its heavily modified with an aluminum 427 cleveland with hilborns etc and I've had the R about 12 years....truthfully I'll take the Pantera any day over the R just for the wow factor. Unfortunately most people even car guys don't know what the R is they think I put a wing and splitter on an SN95. The R is more comfortable than the Pantera and they handle about the same but thats pretty much where it ends. The driving experience of the two is alot different as well and even though they handle about the same with the Pantera you are lower and seated slightly more forward than the R and it gives you a better sense and feel of the road.View attachment 1816326

archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd prefer the Pantera.
--
That said, I have owned a bunch of Porshe 911 cars. I like them and have an allocation for a new 992.2 GT3.

My 2023 Porsche 992.1 Turbo is an excellent daily driver:
2023Porsche3.jpg
2023Porsche8.jpg

Plus, I hope to get a new 2025 Shelby GT350.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome 992.1 Turbo Porsche you have. The hybrid 2025 GT-350 will be interesting, to say the least.

TFStang

Established Member
Been looking at Pantera myself lately, but don't think I would trade the 00R for one. If anything I would add one to the stable, but letting go of the 00R would be difficult. I say keep the R.

oregon87

Established Member
Did y'all see the 00R that sold on BAT earlier today? $158K w/ buyer fees. Perhaps we hold onto these darn things, eh? :)

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Did y'all see the 00R that sold on BAT earlier today? $158K w/ buyer fees. Perhaps we hold onto these darn things, eh? :)
That the oddball wrapper 00R, several have sold for around the 100k mark recently and I think one went for 80ish. No way you’re going to get 158k for something with “normal” mileage.

oregon87

Established Member
That the oddball wrapper 00R, several have sold for around the 100k mark recently and I think one went for 80ish. No way you’re going to get 158k for something with “normal” mileage.
Well aware, however, the rising tide does lift all boats. Many of the $100K+ cars are going to collections to where they will not likely sell again soon. As such, the amount of "available" cars will shrink, further assisting in increasing the values of "lesser desirable" cars.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Well aware, however, the rising tide does lift all boats. Many of the $100K+ cars are going to collections to where they will not likely sell again soon. As such, the amount of "available" cars will shrink, further assisting in increasing the values of "lesser desirable" cars.
Very true, there was only 300 to start with, some have been turned into race cars, some have likely been crashed bad enough to be write offs so the pool gets smaller all the time. Look what happened to Superbirds, the dealers couldn’t sell the damn things and now they are worth between 15 and 200k, more with the right provenance.

Users who are viewing this thread