I blew a head gasket!

camcojb

Established Member
Sorry to hear it, but can't say I don't understand. I know you realize that there is no year of a Lightning that isn't covered in the smog program here. Even pre-75 vehicles that aren't tested are still responsible to be smog legal. In fact the new street racing law they passed allows them to pull you over if they spot any aftermarket parts like a muffler on the vehicle and open your hood to check for more stuff. At that point depending on your attitiude(and that of the cop) they can either impound or ticket the vehicle requiring you to replace all non smog-legal parts, even on a 69 Camaro!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jody

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
camcojb said:
Sorry to hear it, but can't say I don't understand. I know you realize that there is no year of a Lightning that isn't covered in the smog program here. Even pre-75 vehicles that aren't tested are still responsible to be smog legal. In fact the new street racing law they passed allows them to pull you over if they spot any aftermarket parts like a muffler on the vehicle and open your hood to check for more stuff. At that point depending on your attitiude(and that of the cop) they can either impound or ticket the vehicle requiring you to replace all non smog-legal parts, even on a 69 Camaro!

Jody

:eek:

They are getting rediculous with the laws over there now.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
camcojb said:

Jody

Thanks Jody. I know it's getting worse all the time.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I know Larry, easier said than done but it's just such bullshit, it pisses me off. There is no need to punish the innocent because of the guilty so to speak. It sounds like geshtappo type tactics to me. Why don't you go ahead and build me an AC Cobra? I'll come pick it up when your done.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Fade 2 Black said:
I know Larry, easier said than done but it's just such bullshit, it pisses me off. There is no need to punish the innocent because of the guilty so to speak. It sounds like geshtappo type tactics to me. Why don't you go ahead and build me an AC Cobra? I'll come pick it up when your done.

Hahahaha I won't want to sell it. ;-)

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
...Billy is putting her back to stock and I'm selling the L.

Dude... WTF?!??!??!??!??!??!? :dw:

I guess we'll never know what the new motor was/is capable of. :shrug:

just my $0.02, but why not use the L you have as a tow vehicle?? You might have to buy stronger tie-downs to keep "top secret project Larry" on the trailer, but it might be less hassle just to keep the one you've got.

btw, what about the whole CARB thing?? I thought you could run CARB certified(or approved) parts on any car, because after they're approved they're "50 state legal", or do they exempt California??? :rolleyes: I wonder if Arnold's Hummer is all stock...

on second thought, you might as well buy yourself a Seguoy scooter and start modding it now. That way you can pioneer the performance parts market for stand up scooters!! imagine how cool one of those would look on 315 BFG DR's!!!!!!! :burnout:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
IEatGt's said:
btw, what about the whole CARB thing?? I thought you could run CARB certified(or approved) parts on any car, because after they're approved they're "50 state legal", or do they exempt California???

CARB stand for California Air Resources Board, so no, California isn't exempt. They are the ones who set the standard.

But I don't think anyone makes a cam for the L that has a CARB cert. His exhaust certainly isn't smog legal ;-) . And do any aftermarket heads have a CARB cert? I haven't checked.

Stewart

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Hey Larry, are you still gona be a part of this forum? I know no more L, but it would be a bad loss. Good luck with the gen1.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Stewart_H said:
CARB stand for California Air Resources Board, so no, California isn't exempt. They are the ones who set the standard.

But I don't think anyone makes a cam for the L that has a CARB cert. His exhaust certainly isn't smog legal ;-) . And do any aftermarket heads have a CARB cert? I haven't checked.

Stewart

Stewart called it right on the money. My truck was waaaaaaaaaaaaay illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread