I bought myself a NEW Toy!!!

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Nerf Bars and tires. Can't see the pic here at work. But they are fun. I personally refuse to do full exhaust or jets or anything. Couple of my friends that have modded their shit are always having issues. Cold starts are a bitch, among other things.
I have a Honda 400EX, nerf bars, holeshot tires(it rides so much better than the stock balloons) Also I took the spark arrester(I think that's the name) out the exhaust. Which makes it sound better and cold starting is 1000x easier.

GeoffGT

SVT Blumpster
Established Member
very cheap improvements---wheel spacers and lower it... it will handle much better...

convert03cobra

Established Member
I have a raptor 700 and its a freaking blast! Enjoy it in its stock condition for now. That way once you mod it, you will be able to tell the difference and appreciate what you did.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Nerf Bars and tires. Can't see the pic here at work. But they are fun. I personally refuse to do full exhaust or jets or anything. Couple of my friends that have modded their shit are always having issues. Cold starts are a bitch, among other things.
I have a Honda 400EX, nerf bars, holeshot tires(it rides so much better than the stock balloons) Also I took the spark arrester(I think that's the name) out the exhaust. Which makes it sound better and cold starting is 1000x easier.

I am not trying to start a war, but your friends were doing something wrong. These are 4 stroke engines just like all of our cars and trucks. They have the same basic principle: suck, squeeze, bang, blow. The more you can suck in, squeeze and blow out, the better the bang. More air means more fuel needs to be let in. When you add a more efficient intake and exhaust on your car, the computer takes care of this for you, but on a carburetor fueled engine you have to change it manually or you run a lean condition.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
ill post pics of my old race bike later, i used to race 3 national pro-am classes a year and ran A'class thoughout the nation.

i like the TC Racing shorty exhaust for the yfz, most power on any exhaust, but its rediculously loud, sometimes crazy loud.

HMF is sick, Yoshimura is great, Rossier is loud, and has some sick power, and my ultimate favorite is curtis sparks, look into them, great bunch of guys, they use to be my old sponser.

goodluck with it.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
Ive got a 06 YFZ450 Bill Ballance edition that has less than 20 hours on it. I love riding it but the riding area is too far away for me so I never ride it anymore. Im actually thinking about selling it.

The first thing you should be worried about shouldnt be mods you should be worried about getting all of your safety gear first. helmet, chest guard, gloves, goggles and riding boots.

I already bought a helmet, chest guard, pants, jacket and riding boots. I really didn't think I would need gloves, and goggles right now.

Last edited:

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member

Your friends obviously don't know how to re-jet a carburetor.

very cheap improvements---wheel spacers and lower it... it will handle much better...

:nono:

I highly doubt he is dedicating his quad to flat track racing. The first couple times you jump a quad that has a lowering system on it, you will trash all the lowering hardware.

Wheels spacers are just hard on studs, bearings, and axles. If you want it to handle better. Buy extended length A-arms and an axle.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
So do I " HAVE " to put a jet kit on before I can put full exhaust on? Or does it have to be done at the same time?

And what about a Aftermarket Hi-Performance Rev Kit? Do they work?

Last edited:

Sloth

Whipple Crew Member
Established Member
Here is my old 700R, it had alot done to it, suspension, engine and exhaust. Lots of fun and was hella fast. Sold it to buy my whipple. I bought it with all the mods done to it, when I sold it the guy who bought it knew alot about them and said there was alot of goodies on it that I didnt even know about.

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

CFRacer22

Established Member
ill post pics of my old race bike later, i used to race 3 national pro-am classes a year and ran A'class thoughout the nation.

i like the TC Racing shorty exhaust for the yfz, most power on any exhaust, but its rediculously loud, sometimes crazy loud.

HMF is sick, Yoshimura is great, Rossier is loud, and has some sick power, and my ultimate favorite is curtis sparks, look into them, great bunch of guys, they use to be my old sponser.

goodluck with it.

how long ago did you race? and what series? I've raced the National TT's (now called EDT for Extreme Dirt Track) for several years now and I try to hit a few National MX races a year. I made the full season last year in A class, my brother runs A and Pro-Am, but this year I made the first round of each series then money got to tight to make it. That was until I tore my ACL a few weeks ago, now I'm out for the rest of the season whether I could afford to make it or not. Curtis has been building our motors for a few years now, they are really cool people, and you can't argue with the results.

Here's a few pics...

a pic I was editing the other day, never finished...
3766358685_c96a60f82d_b.jpg

big double...
3530947775_89924c9d66_b.jpg

TT National...
2945611509_a4a8e4c0b4_b.jpg

both TT bikes...
2946454932_aa5f1fe1c2_b.jpg

Supermoto Race..
1512189828_6300e3e2f6_b.jpg

OP: What kind of riding you plan on doin with it? that will determine what kind of mods you need. Before you buy an exhaust, some public riding areas require you to be below a certain dB level, or have a spark arrestor, so I'd think about that before I bought a Sparks or other engine builder's exhaust that is really designed for a race bike...

Last edited:

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
go get the cam mod done at the yamaha dealer (just take it there, they will know what you're talking about), then HMF full race pipe (no slip-ons, they are worthless), K&N filter / billet adapter and outerwear, jet kit (I suggest jetting for open lid), rev box, and when you're used to that (trust me it doesnt take long) go and get cams and your pretty much there. unless you want to go ahead and go for "The Cube"? But... you arent ready for the cube. Oh and go up one tooth count on the drive sprocket (15, I think?).

Last edited:

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Yeah, I forgot to mention. Doing the cam mod really helps out too. There is a whole write-up on how to do it over on YFZ central.

You usually jet the bike the same time you buy the exhaust. Because More air = the need for more fuel.

Unless you are building an all out drag bike, cams really don't help much at all. If you want, I can link you to the Dyno comparison someone did with all the aftermarket cams.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I used to do a bit of regional racing aswell in the AMA's GNCC (Grand national cross country series). I was still a noob back then and was riding a big bore Yamaha Banshee. I was about mid field in the few races I was in but I had a blast doing it.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
how long ago did you race? and what series? I've raced the National TT's (now called EDT for Extreme Dirt Track) for several years now and I try to hit a few National MX races a year. I made the full season last year in A class, my brother runs A and Pro-Am, but this year I made the first round of each series then money got to tight to make it. That was until I tore my ACL a few weeks ago, now I'm out for the rest of the season whether I could afford to make it or not. Curtis has been building our motors for a few years now, they are really cool people, and you can't argue with the results.

Here's a few pics...

a pic I was editing the other day, never finished...
3766358685_c96a60f82d_b.jpg

big double...
3530947775_89924c9d66_b.jpg

TT National...
2945611509_a4a8e4c0b4_b.jpg

both TT bikes...
2946454932_aa5f1fe1c2_b.jpg

Supermoto Race..
1512189828_6300e3e2f6_b.jpg

OP: What kind of riding you plan on doin with it? that will determine what kind of mods you need. Before you buy an exhaust, some public riding areas require you to be below a certain dB level, or have a spark arrestor, so I'd think about that before I bought a Sparks or other engine builder's exhaust that is really designed for a race bike...

WOW!!! I really like the look of your ATV's!! I was thinking about making it a street quad... I live WAY out on the country, so I don't plan on getting into pro racing, or anything. I bought it just for fun, but after 4 days I already want to go faster. I would like to lower it, strech it, put some kind of street tire on it, and get the most power out if it I can with out getting into the motor right now.

pony23

Established Member
Awsome, I had an 05 YFZ450 too. Loved it, that beast was fast. I miss it. Just loosing places to ride here in CT.

I recommend the cam mod (did it at home), jetting, air filter, and a pipe. Won't even feel like the same quad. yfzcentral has step by step instructions for doing the cam mod.

chrisheltra

Established Member
WOW!!! I really like the look of your ATV's!! I was thinking about making it a street quad... I live WAY out on the country, so I don't plan on getting into pro racing, or anything. I bought it just for fun, but after 4 days I already want to go faster. I would like to lower it, strech it, put some kind of street tire on it, and get the most power out if it I can with out getting into the motor right now.

If thats the case you should have bought a banshee.:rockon:

CFRacer22

Established Member

Thanks man, I love these things! Well in that case...

The best street tire out there...Duro...they've been doing a lot of R&D lately on ATV tires...check out the Top Fighter and the Scorcher...ATV STREET TIRES I've tried both and they both work really well on the street

and obviously the bolt on power adders people keep listing, exhaust, filter, remove air box lid, ignition, etc. If you don't want to get into real motor work. But if you did here's a great engine builder in your area. They can REALLY get some power out of these things with some cams and headwork...Rage ATV Racing And you can play with gearing, less teeth in the front will be quicker, but less top end, and vice versa for adding teeth...

next would be handling...an axle to make the rear end wider, some wider a-arms, and if your willing to spend some money, this is where it gets expensive...you definitely need some good adjustable shocks up front, Fox, Custom Axis, PEP, Elka, Ohlins, there's plenty of good options out there. For the rear, definitely a new linkage and possibly a shock back there too...

Good luck man, and have fun, like anything with an engine that can be made faster, they can be addicting!

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looks like fun Darien!

BTW: Congrats on making it into the back of MM&FF Readers Rides. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread