I built a CNC machine!

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I have been thinking about buying a CNC plasma table for a number of years and the cost was crazy. I found a numbe rof resources online on how to build one but they all looked really ghetto. After alot of planning, I started and it took me close to 9 months but its worth it. I am building a modding a chassis and building a suspension for a 2004 Lightning. Its for a friend so he has been great with letting me take my time. All brackets here are cut on 1/4 plate.

e63ti6b839.jpg

0b7cvpb3tr.jpg

vdz9cvtzbj.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjdbB_JS5gk"]YouTube- BC Lightning Lower Shock Tabs on Home Built CNC Plasma Table[/ame]

Here are some shots of his frame so far...
SVTbracket.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

nocobrafornow

Established Member
awsome equipment, have you thought of assymbling the same stuff to maybe sell to others or would you be willing to give people the info to buy themselves. i ask because i can imagine you put a lot of time and effort into this. and how much would something like this cost compared to the others. if you don't want to tell i understand but anyway that is a very cool piece.

bmoseley

who farted?
Established Member
awsome equipment, have you thought of assymbling the same stuff to maybe sell to others or would you be willing to give people the info to buy themselves. I ask because i can imagine you put a lot of time and effort into this. And how much would something like this cost compared to the others. If you don't want to tell i understand but anyway that is a very cool piece.

+1

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm going to guess you have some engineering background. That is one nice project, and well worth the time you put into it. Well done!!

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Thanks. No engineering background here. I was a fabricator and mechanic by trade many years ago. I am surrounded by people who are smarter than I am and are willing to answer my questions.

There are lots of companies that support hobby CNC building. I got the majority of parts from ebay. My only recommendation is that you use linear bearing guides. Most home built tables use "v" bearings and the accuracy blows.

I did document the build and will post some more pics when I get in front of my home computer.

The main components you will need are:
Break-out Board (candcnc Welcome Page)
XP Computer with a parallel port
Stepper Motors (Welcome to ORIENTAL MOTOR or ebay)
rack and pinion (Martin Gear | Gears, | Spur Gears | Sprockets | Timing Belt Pulley at Martingear.com)
linear guides and pillow blocks (ebay)
24 to 36VDC, 20amp power supply (Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor or digikey.com)
various electronics like limit switches, e-stop button, power switch, cable, etc (Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor or digikey.com)

I use MACH3 (www.machsupport.com) for the table control and Sheetcam (SheetCam homepage) for the CAM n. I use a combination of illistrator and turboCAD to actually draw the parts and convert cardboard templates into CAD drawings.

I spent about $2500 on the steel, parts, paint, computer and chemicals for the water table. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the over priced stuff that plasma cam and torchmate push.

Be prepared for a huge learning curve and allow yourself to make mistakes.

Last edited:

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
That's awesome man I always thought about doing something like that. Alot of people mod birdgeports to turn them into a cnc mill.

I use a 3d modeling program at work called solidworks and I've been wanting to buy my own seat so I could start desiging parts for people. it looks realy fun. Best of luck:beer:

Chris06GT

Established Member
Thanks. No engineering background here. I was a fabricator and mechanic by trade many years ago. I am surrounded by people who are smarter than I am and are willing to answer my questions.

There are lots of companies that support hobby CNC building. I got the majority of parts from ebay. My only recommendation is that you use linear bearing guides. Most home built tables use "v" bearings and the accuracy blows.

I did document the build and will post some more pics when I get in front of my home computer.

rack and pinion (Martin Gear | Gears, | Spur Gears | Sprockets | Timing Belt Pulley at Martingear.com)
24 to 36VDC, 20amp power supply (Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor or digikey.com)
various electronics like limit switches, e-stop button, power switch, cable, etc (Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor or digikey.com)

I use MACH3 (ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam) for the table control and Sheetcam (SheetCam homepage) for the CAM n. I use a combination of illistrator and turboCAD to actually draw the parts and convert cardboard templates into CAD drawings.

I spent about $2500 on the steel, parts, paint, computer and chemicals for the water table. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the over priced stuff that plasma cam and torchmate push.

Awesome work man!! Thanks for the list of components needed!

I am thinking of using the same technique, but utilizing AutoCad and Solidworks for the programs...

MDRacing

Established Member
Did you ever post you build documentation? Would really love to learn more. Nice work!

Matt

I use MACH3 (ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam) for the table control and Sheetcam (SheetCam homepage) for the CAM n. I use a combination of illistrator and turboCAD to actually draw the parts and convert cardboard templates into CAD drawings.

Users who are viewing this thread