I could not believe this.....

Willie

Established Member
The other night, I drove my 2008 GT500 to my daughter and son-in-law's house. They own a 2006 V6 Mustang. In a nutshell, I asked my son-in-law to sit in my car and start it while I was looking under the hood. I heard him jingling the keys and then he says, "What do you know.... my key works in your car! He then tried to start it, it turned but did nothing. It did turn to the On position, so we tried something else. He got out, I locked the car with my keys but did not turn the alarm on. He then inserted his key into my door and unlocked it..! I could not believe this, so we then tried my keys in his car. They worked also, exactly like his in mine.

Is this just some freaky coincidence that we happen to own two Mustangs of different years but the keys work on each other? Wow!

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
this is more common than you think and with more that just cars. it would be unusual to find two interchangable keys in the same family however.

@13COBRA could probably provide more insight.

The other night, I drove my 2008 GT500 to my daughter and son-in-law's house. They own a 2006 V6 Mustang. In a nutshell, I asked my son-in-law to sit in my car and start it while I was looking under the hood. I heard him jingling the keys and then he says, "What do you know.... my key works in your car! He then tried to start it, it turned but did nothing. It did turn to the On position, so we tried something else. He got out, I locked the car with my keys but did not turn the alarm on. He then inserted his key into my door and unlocked it..! I could not believe this, so we then tried my keys in his car. They worked also, exactly like his in mine.

Is this just some freaky coincidence that we happen to own two Mustangs of different years but the keys work on each other? Wow!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

It happens more often than you would like to think.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Was at a packed movie theatre once. My Ford Fusion ('12) key fob was locking and unlocking another car near the entrance

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Super random that you guys got them to work in each car... but there are only about 20-25 cuts per year. Without the correct "chip"/program, it won't start.

My dad used to drive turbo'd RX7s when we owned a Mazda franchise in the 90s, he went to a Chiefs game and ended up getting in and driving off with someone else's car. He quickly realized it, then went back and the guy was just standing there waiting and said, "I knew you'd be back, yours is a lot nicer than mine." So my dad called the Mazda rep at the time, after a little digging, they found out that there were only 6 different cuts that year.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There are only so many key combinations, but actually finding one has got to be huge odds. My dad claims to have had this happen to him and as he was driving off, noticed it wasn't his SUV. His vehicle was a 2003 GMC Yukon at the time.

Willie

Established Member
Wanna know something else about this? We've owned both these cars for years, but never knew this until last week.. It took my new son-in-law dinking in my car to find this out, lol...

Willie

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
There are only so many key combinations, but actually finding one has got to be huge odds. My dad claims to have had this happen to him and as he was driving off, noticed it wasn't his SUV. His vehicle was a 2003 GMC Yukon at the time.
There are millions of possible cut arrangements, but the cost to manufacture a unique key; it's just easier and cheaper to run a certain variation from year to year.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

850SNCobra

Established Member
Never thought that would occur with cars, especially with the same family members.

My brother found out that the key to his house works on my parents house, so he only needs one key for both houses now lol. My parents had their house built about 5-7 years ago and my brothers house has been around for awhile, Weird as hell.

Slattdaddy

Established Member
Ford puts out about 20 cuts per year. The 40-bit PATS encryption however is unique to your vehicle, so no worries about anyone taking it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sleek98

Established Member
There were a couple guys at my high school that had the same cut on their honda civics. They could unlock and drive away with the other car.

FJohnny

Established Member
When I was going to university I lived in the same condo complex as my girlfriend. Two high rises and about half a dozen four story buildings. All shared a rec center/pool building so the front door keys were the same for all buildings and a second key for the apartments.

One day, I was heading up to her place to get a little action between classes and accidentally stuck the main front door key into her apartment lock. Yup, it opened like a charm and hundreds of people had that key. I tell her and she just freaks out. Calls the management co. and demands a new lock immediately. They couldn't get there until the next day, of course.

"You have to stay here tonight", she tells me.

I cave in because she's a paranoid crazy lunatic and there's no reasoning with her. We watch tv and hit the sack around midnight. Around an hour later don't we hear noises from the kitchen. I head out there and the guy from across the hall, drunk as hell, is trying to figure out why the kitchen is on the right when it used to be on the left.

Didn't even happen once in the previous couple of years living there. Weird, eh?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wow thats wild! Well, at least you dont have to worry about locking your keys in the car, just call your son in law haha.

Users who are viewing this thread