I have a moral dilemma with leaving my job..

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
Well, I did it. Almost threw up. He kinda handled it fairly immaturely. He didn’t look me in the eye once. He asked where I was going and what they were paying me then just kinda shrugged and didn’t say anything.

well then you kinda have a tiny bit more assurance that you might have done the right thing. just curious- do you know why this honda dealership is so desperate to have you/someone on board in 2 days? did someone screw them over with little to no notice and now they are stuck having to fill the role asap? was someone removed for cause? i would make sure you are going into this with your guard up big time. the grass is not always greener, but i hope it is for you in this case. it would concern me that someone is expecting you to bail on your current job to come on board with them so quickly- makes me think that they would screw someone over in a heartbeat too.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
well then you kinda have a tiny bit more assurance that you might have done the right thing. just curious- do you know why this honda dealership is so desperate to have you/someone on board in 2 days? did someone screw them over with little to no notice and now they are stuck having to fill the role asap? was someone removed for cause? i would make sure you are going into this with your guard up big time. the grass is not always greener, but i hope it is for you in this case. it would concern me that someone is expecting you to bail on your current job to come on board with them so quickly- makes me think that they would screw someone over in a heartbeat too.
I’m going to try and find out when I start there. I think they are just overwhelmed with work and want someone ASAP to maintain work flow. He mentioned something about being in the running to winning some prestigious service award for the 4th year in a row and wants to make sure that dealer gets it.

Stanger00

Established Member
Well, I did it. Almost threw up. He kinda handled it fairly immaturely. He didn’t look me in the eye once. He asked where I was going and what they were paying me then just kinda shrugged and didn’t say anything.

Good for you. Take the rest of the week off and be ready to start Friday. Use this time off to do something fun with the family.

Congrats on the bigly raise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I’m going to try and find out when I start there. I think they are just overwhelmed with work and want someone ASAP to maintain work flow. He mentioned something about being in the running to winning some prestigious service award for the 4th year in a row and wants to make sure that dealer gets it.

that would be a great 'problem' for the dealership to have- better to have too much work than not enough! cheers!

StrayBullitt

Established Member
OP from what I have seen in a dealership, you can most likely get your old job back if worse comes to worst.

Good Help is hard to find... just ask this guy ;)

upload_2018-7-17_10-3-49.png

_Snake_

Established Member

Good advice here.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
He kinda handled it fairly immaturely. He didn’t look me in the eye once. He asked where I was going and what they were paying me then just kinda shrugged and didn’t say anything.

IMO that was pretty mature, relatively speaking. He is either not concerned about your leaving (better for you I guess), or he expected it would happen at some point and was not willing to do anything about it (also better for you I guess), or he had pretty serious composure in front of you and is going to snap later on either at his family or friends or some unsuspecting stranger (bad for them).

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
IMO that was pretty mature, relatively speaking. He is either not concerned about your leaving (better for you I guess), or he expected it would happen at some point and was not willing to do anything about it (also better for you I guess), or he had pretty serious composure in front of you and is going to snap later on either at his family or friends or some unsuspecting stranger (bad for them).
He’s hard to read. Very monotone and doesn’t show much emotion. I guess I found kinda disrespectful he wouldn’t look at me

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
He’s hard to read. Very monotone and doesn’t show much emotion. I guess I found kinda disrespectful he wouldn’t look at me

I can appreciate what you are saying about people who do not look you in the eye when speaking- that drives me nuts! some people never ever do that out of insecurity or were maybe never taught to do so, others do it when they are uncomfortable or emotional, others do it when they lie, etc. Wanting eye contact, being uncomfortable about giving short notice, etc say a lot about who you are as a person- kudos to you man! Sounds like honda wins out here getting you on board. I hope they are worthy!

scott_0

Established Member
it’s really professional and the right thing to do with the 2 weeks notice, but if the higher paying job needs you in 2 days, I wouldn’t lose that job over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm all for treating people/employers the way you wish to be treated but at the end of the day you need to do what's best for you because nobody else is doing that for you.

I'm taking it in the ass by life right now because I didn't put myself first and have spent the first half of the day talking to attorneys so I might be a little jaded. Do what's right for you. In a few weeks they'll forget you were even there.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
it’s really professional and the right thing to do with the 2 weeks notice, but if the higher paying job needs you in 2 days, I wouldn’t lose that job over it
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No doubt, and good on the OP...

I'd have figured out a way to convince new Job 2 weeks needed.. thus to walk out on old job and have myself a vacation !

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Two weeks notice should be abolished industry wide, especially in right to work states. I've seen people with 10-20yrs seniority get walked out with 10mins notice.

If i have a better opportunity in front of me and there is a time crunch im not going to give it up for some antiquated idea of courtesy and loyalty.

BladeX10

Established Member
I had this guilt with my first few jobs but that went away real quick as i got older. Especially car dealerships. There isnt any loyalty in the car dealership business. I've seen a father with a new born baby get canned because he had a bad month in sales. They dont care about you, So why should you care? At the end of the day, You need to do whats best for you and more money and less commuting is about as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread