I have a moral dilemma with leaving my job..

awful knawful

Established Member
Don't be sick over bettering yourself. Anyone that encourages you to deny yourself a good opportunity isn't looking out for your best interest.
1998 hanging off the side of a garbage truck, my father stops, " mill wants you to call them".
Dinner time I call, they offered me a job, way more $, benefits, pension, etc.

Back at work, boss asks what mill wanted. "They offered me a job".

"What did you say"? Boss asks.

"Told them I'd think about it".

"Are you nuts?" he says

Me: "well last time the mill reopened it lasted 6 months and was down again, I don't want that to happen".

My boss says "I'll make you a deal, you go to the mill, if it closes, I'll take you back".

I had my 20 year anniversary at the mill this past June. Making great pay, benefits and pension. I still remember the day he told me to leave, wouldn't hold me back. I have and still do work for him when he needs me. More of a barter thing. May get a load of gravel, topsoil, free backhoe work or get my yard plowed when I can't.

That's a good boss. We're still pretty close and are great friends.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I had this guilt with my first few jobs but that went away real quick as i got older. Especially car dealerships. There isnt any loyalty in the car dealership business. I've seen a father with a new born baby get canned because he had a bad month in sales. They dont care about you, So why should you care? At the end of the day, You need to do whats best for you and more money and less commuting is about as good as it gets.
This is what pushed me over the edge to just say I quit. A year ago they fired an advisor weeks after his wife had a baby. And just a month ago they fired another advisor right after he paid 30k for a home addition. On both accounts they were not told why they were fired.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I am stoked your doing it man. Work your ass off and make that bank and be treated better. You do not owe them any more of a 2 weeks notice then they owe you. When I left my last employer he tossed me when i told him I was going to leave. Said no one needs cdl drivers around here. I just kinda laughed and pointed out I have a perfect record since I have started driving non commercially and commercially. As in...blank, clean, like it was never made. I haul heavy and can use any truck and trailer combo. I just wanted to see my family, the money was a bonus. They see us <employees> as a replaceable item to be used and junked. We aren't but we allow them to treat us like we are. Not every employer is like that, but enough are. Stand up, breathe deep and be happy your taking care of YOURSELF.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Two weeks notice should be abolished industry wide, especially in right to work states. I've seen people with 10-20yrs seniority get walked out with 10mins notice.

If i have a better opportunity in front of me and there is a time crunch im not going to give it up for some antiquated idea of courtesy and loyalty.
This is so true anymore. Most places, you gone. Anyone deal with “no compete orders?”

M91196

Established Member
This is what pushed me over the edge to just say I quit. A year ago they fired an advisor weeks after his wife had a baby. And just a month ago they fired another advisor right after he paid 30k for a home addition. On both accounts they were not told why they were fired.

In MA they can collect unemployment even if fired, so that’s a plus.

Imhire and fire a lot of people and dont have a lot of heartburn over the lack of notice, just the fact that a hiring manager would put that ultimatum out there that it was 2 days or no bueno. Small concern, hope you make mad bank and find more opportunity at this new endeavor.

As far as non competes, most are not enforced by our company, blue collar non contracted world, and seem to be more of a sticking point for the hiring company as they don’t want to deal with them on their end. Engineers, Directors and above with access to real development and trade secret stuff, yeah your not going to skate to the competition for a couple years without a court battle.....

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
This is so true anymore. Most places, you gone. Anyone deal with “no compete orders?”

I signed one were i’m at but people have left to go to competitors and they haven’t enforced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm joining this conversation really late but its crazy how similar of a situation I was in just a few months ago. Worked for honda at a really good dealer that took me in and trained me and has been good to me for several years. But I moved and was commuting 58 miles each way to work every day which was really starting to get to me. I decided to look elsewhere and found a job at a Ford dealer 7 miles from home. I interviewed and was offered the job and was told they needed me as soon as possible, would start me next day if I could. They didn't seem to want me to work a 2 week notice at Honda but I insisted. The dealer I was leaving treated me fairly well (all places have ups and downs) but they paid me well and my wife works there as well. I did work my 2 weeks notice and my new job was eventually ok with it.

Thats where our stories differ, I didn't get a pay raise, I ended up making less money and working much harder than I was before at a shop that is ran very poorly, unfortunately I just couldn't see that until I got in here and started working. I'm currently considering asking for my old job back, and I'm pretty sure since I didn't burn that bridge they would take me back. I hope everything goes well for you, I was just raised to not burn bridges because the grass on the other side isn't always greener.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'm joining this conversation really late but its crazy how similar of a situation I was in just a few months ago. Worked for honda at a really good dealer that took me in and trained me and has been good to me for several years. But I moved and was commuting 58 miles each way to work every day which was really starting to get to me. I decided to look elsewhere and found a job at a Ford dealer 7 miles from home. I interviewed and was offered the job and was told they needed me as soon as possible, would start me next day if I could. They didn't seem to want me to work a 2 week notice at Honda but I insisted. The dealer I was leaving treated me fairly well (all places have ups and downs) but they paid me well and my wife works there as well. I did work my 2 weeks notice and my new job was eventually ok with it.

Thats where our stories differ, I didn't get a pay raise, I ended up making less money and working much harder than I was before at a shop that is ran very poorly, unfortunately I just couldn't see that until I got in here and started working. I'm currently considering asking for my old job back, and I'm pretty sure since I didn't burn that bridge they would take me back. I hope everything goes well for you, I was just raised to not burn bridges because the grass on the other side isn't always greener.

Not surprised the Ford shop you work at is ran poorly, seems to be a fairly consistent theme across the board with the Big 3, at least at the big volume chains. Most of the dealers these days are huge chain dealerships, where only the bottom line matters. My experiences at smaller family owned dealerships have been much better.

****tards @autonation ford katy (local to me) revving, beating a customers car a little...did they hurt anything??.. no, but it shows a lack of professionalism and respect.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
Not surprised the Ford shop you work at is ran poorly, seems to be a fairly consistent theme across the board with the Big 3, at least at the big volume chains. Most of the dealers these days are huge chain dealerships, where only the bottom line matters. My experiences at smaller family owned dealerships have been much better.

This is a small family owned dealer, he has 3 dealer locations so its not a big chain at all, previously I worked for Hendrick which of course is huge, don't get me wrong they were all about the bottom line but when it came down to it they really did do a lot for their employees. They pay for healthcare, of course you pay if you had family but I could cover my whole family for half what it costs for just me at my new place. Imagine what it costs the company to pay for healthcare for all their employees, its huge. We got yearly bonuses but throughout the year they would do giveaways within the dealer, the last one they gave away 60 inch tvs, mac books, ipads, bose audio equipment, yeti products, etc etc. They weren't perfect but looking back they treated me better than I realized.

But that aside I'm a huge ford guy and thought i would love working for them but it really shows me the behind the scenes of the dealer and the product. We are a much smaller shop but we do much larger repairs more frequently than we ever did at Honda.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member

Wow, that is very similar lol. A local ford dealer was also looking for an advisor. I applied. They contacted me and I turned it away. Something just didn’t feel right about it. I’ve also heard the big 3 are hard to work for. Most of the managers and techs I’ve seen at japenese dealers typically started out at a American company. But, at the end of the day it’s up to the owners and managers that makes or breaks a store. Hope you figure it out.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Wow, that is very similar lol. A local ford dealer was also looking for an advisor. I applied. They contacted me and I turned it away. Something just didn’t feel right about it. I’ve also heard the big 3 are hard to work for. Most of the managers and techs I’ve seen at japenese dealers typically started out at a American company. But, at the end of the day it’s up to the owners and managers that makes or breaks a store. Hope you figure it out.
Thanks man hope things work out for you as well. It seems our techs make more per hour here than my techs at Honda but there is only 1 person here I would trust to touch my car lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mcaligiuri

Established Member

I recently left my job too. Had a opportunity for career change. Worked as a hvac apprentice for 3 weeks never touched hvac just had to clean up vomit outside the hospital I worked. I gave two weeks to old empolyer so I called them up and asked for my job back. They took me back in a heartbeat and I’ve been back for over 3 months. Job isn’t great but the job I left it for was awful. It’s good not to burn bridges and if the new job makes you it may be a sign of things to come

nxhappy

Established Member
ALWAYS leave your job in good standing. Even if your boss is the biggest dick in the world. It proves you are the better person. Plus, 8 times out of ten, your new boss will be talking to your old boss about performance. You don't want a bad report because you left early.

As a small business owner I ****ing HATE when people leave on short notice. People have no idea how bad it hurts the business. They'd rather just leave and collect unemployment.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

They’re very difficult to enforce in Florida. Florida believes you can’t prevent someone from earning a living. That being said if you take your current employer info, go to a competitor and use that info to take customers away from them or cause them to start losing work you can still end up in a real bad spot.

This is why many noncompetes also include clauses about trade secrets, NDA, etc... so that pricing and such is included so they can hammer you in the scenario I just mentioned

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
ALWAYS leave your job in good standing. Even if your boss is the biggest dick in the world. It proves you are the better person. Plus, 8 times out of ten, your new boss will be talking to your old boss about performance. You don't want a bad report because you left early.

As a small business owner I ****ing HATE when people leave on short notice. People have no idea how bad it hurts the business. They'd rather just leave and collect unemployment.

this simply isnt done at large companies. The only thing your new employer can ask the old one is to verify that you actually worked there and for how long. If the old company says that you were a POS worker and you find out about it that's an easy $$$$ slander lawsuit.

nxhappy

Established Member
this simply isnt done at large companies. The only thing your new employer can ask the old one is to verify that you actually worked there and for how long. If the old company says that you were a POS worker and you find out about it that's an easy $$$$ slander lawsuit.

happens all the time. And yes of course there are going to be lawsuits.

Users who are viewing this thread