I have a question for everybody. Bit of a long read

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
To everyone who takes their cars to shops or mechanics to have work done. Really anyone who ever has a service done for them by any type of technician. Normally when you need a service done for you whether its a cleaning service or installation or an exhaust install you get a bid or quote from the company or shop which lays out price,time, and parts involved in the service. Then you either or agree or disagree on that price and time frame for the service being performed. Usually there will be. The stipulation that if additional things arise you will be notified and then decide whether to move forward on additional parts,labor,time and cost that could be incurred. Well what if you had a cleaning service tell you it will be $500 to clean your house and you decided to have them perform the se...rvice. You setup a day and time and give them the keys and you go to work wating to come home to a clean house hoping everything goes smoothly and it doesn't cost more than they told you. The day drags on and you've heard nothing, youve even called the supervisor with no answer. Twice the time goes by they told you and you finally just go home to see what's up. Frustrated with the lack of commincation and worry you approach the supervisor and he tells you it took longer than they thought and now its twice the price he originally told you. You ask why didn't you tell me it was going to be more because I didn't want to spend that much. The supervisor tells you its not his fault you can't afford it and you can't go inside until you pay the bill. Then he tells you to get the **** out of there and quit trying to start shit. The whole time your just trying to figure out why you weren't notified of any changes in the original quote despite your own attempts to contact them.

Does anyone agree that business should be conducted in this manner? What would you do if something like this happened to you? And finally if there was a business that had this reputation would you use their service?

stangposse

Established Member
You really want me to tell you what I'd do or say to someone who told me I can't enter my own house??? Are you kidding me?

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
the story was a metaphor..

what if it was your car and you couldnt pick it up until you paid cash for it? no checks, no cards, only cash and its double what you thought it was going to be?

Last edited:

Last

Established Member
Cliffs : shop charged twice the quote, supervisor don't give a ****

What exactly did they quote you to fiix? And what did they additionally repair?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Edit due to confusion over "metaphor".:nonono:

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Holy drawn out question!

I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me I can't go into my own house, and surely wont be stopping me from going in. The attitude the supervisor had is ridiculous and seems like a classic bait and switch. I would demand my key back and to take me to court for their money.

I have a service based business and if I tried doubling my prices after service I would be out of business in weeks. That is not how you run a company and I would slam them all over the internet and call the news stations. Most have a scam type segment.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
wait this is for a car not a house right? I assume the house thing was a metaphor. Anyways if they are charging you fees you did not agree to you can sue for breach of contract. Look into what is called a garageman's lien in your area. You can also get an injunction to prevent them from selling or keeping your property.

Did you have a written estimate, how much was the price in difference? etc. Lots of factors to consider. Most states also allow a shop to charge a storage fee for the vehicle, but normally their is a statutory cap. I have done this before but on the side of the shopkeeper not the consumer. You can always contest the fee in court but be careful of what you sign to get your car back.

You can P.M. me with details if you have further questions.

If this is for a house call the police right now if they won't let you in your home, they are committing a crime. Express this to the supervisor as I am sure he does not want to go to jail. I would pay them the quoted price and no more and have a witness. Then if they sue I would counter sue and make them understand it is gonna cost them some coin to defend themselves in court.

Disclaimer: None of this constitutes legal advice and is purely my opinion and further does not constitute a lawyer-client relationship.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Did you have a signed contract for said work for a said price? If so, I'd kindly tell them to **** off.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
if they have your car then bring your spare key and take your car and leave. Notify the authorities so they have some indication of whats going on before the shop calls the police on you.

Also I'd highly suggest to not try and piss them off as they are still in possession of your personal items.

and yeah no need for metaphors, why not just let us know the real story?

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
A performance shop i was working for has been doing this to people for a while now. I actually quit because they did it so much and treated people so poorly. they actually would do this to customers then talk shit about the customers saying theyre just broke and its obamas fault and crazy things. when people would question an invoice theyd immediately think they were trying to get out of paying. unfortunately the police do know of their practice and have been there many time, many times. they tell everyone they cant do anything if the shop owner claims they owe them they just have to take them to court for their property. pretty ****ed up. lots of cars leaving in worse condition than they arrived after people waited months on end without any information from the shop. when people finally put pressure to get the job done they get pissed and tell them to just come get it and tell them they owe them storage and shit.

when i quit i tried to get all customers to understand this was happening. some listened some didnt and those people are dealing with serious situations now. the shop even told them they fired me and im a liar and then did exactly what i said theyd do, doubled the bill and wont let him get the car without cash only.

it sickens me that businesses like this can operate and people have to go through such lengths to get their property because of all the legal mumbo jumbo. shits just plain wrong!

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Turn them into the IRS. If they only accept cash I will bet money they aren't reporting it to the tax man. Police are one thing, dealing with the IRS is a whole different monster. That will shut them down faster then the legal route.

Last

Established Member
Turn them into the IRS. If they only accept cash I will bet money they aren't reporting it to the tax man. Police are one thing, dealing with the IRS is a whole different monster. That will shut them down faster then the legal route.

Local comptroller will do it even faster

dwish

Established Member
It would help if they gave you an estimate on paper...something you signed that authorized work done up to a certain point. This paper is legally binding. If it was all verbal, then it just turns into a "he said, she said" type of thing.

I don't work in a shop, let alone the automotive field, but deal with a situation where estimates are used on a daily basis. An estimate is signed, and any additional fees beyond the original estimate HAVE TO be explained to the client, via telephone or whatever. At that point they can approve or decline the revised estimate.

I hope that shop can deal with cars better than they can with people. Good luck.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
basically i could care less about any legalities with this sort of thing. i know that the customer has to pay the bill or let the car sit there until they take the shop to court for the amount. most customers wont theyll just pay it and take it in their ass. this shop doesnt do any signed estimates so really there is nothing binding at all.
the whole point of this rant is to vent frustration and warn people. hopefully it will wake up some people who may at times operate like this. doing things like this to people is just plain wrong. not only is it bad to do to good people who are spending hard earned money on a sometimes prized possession to them, but it also hurts many people everywhere in all sorts of business. people dont need to modify theyre cars or buy big tvs or spend theyre money on any of these material things. the more people have bad experience the more people shy away from spending money for things they dont need. the things alot of us think are cool and things alot of us either install, invent, or sell in a store. its people like this that are the downfall of our economy and country. you can have a business that provides a service or sells products and not screw people over. the mentality that if someones to dumb to fall for it then its theyre fault is bullshit. scam auto warranties and shady loans are the types of businesses and people that prey on others for theyre own gain. they dont provide anything, theyre not helping anyone. these people take advantage of all the freedoms we have here and use them maliciously against their own people. i could care less about politics or government or any of that shit. if people dont change their thinking and learn how to do the right thing, were all just screwed and no politician or president could ever save it.

on a positive note... i have worked with shops that restored faith in at least this industry for me. JPC, and Adam at Revauto in maryland. AED in Cali. and CBI Streetcars here in st louis. all of these dudes ive seen with me and many others go above and beyond for their customers. i feel like ive become freinds with them, and they will be there to help out. thats how a customer should feel after spending money. sure theyre in the business to make money but in no way did they have to screw someone over or lie to make it. they wanted me to feel like it was money well spent, and it was

the shop is Mid Coast Performance in St Louis. I worked there for a few months recently. i quit because of these business practices and an overall terrible attitude towards everything.

Users who are viewing this thread