I have an Supercharger Intercooler Leak!!!! HELP!!!

03_Cobra_Coy

AWESOMENESS
Established Member
So while I was home on leave back in July. I went to DYNO speed to get some work done and to DYNO’d my car so, while I was there I found out that I have an Intercooler Leak. I was going to fix it but I had to leave the next day. NOW my question to you fellow Cobra Owners is how hard is this to fix? I have no idea, I’ve been in Afghanistan for 10 months and my car Knowledge is gone right out the window (didn’t have any before HAHA) but any help with this would be Much Appreciated Thanks.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I cant think of a way to fix it ever being brought up (not that it hasnt).

Most Intercoolers that go bad, have froze at somepoint, and then its.....new intercooler time. :(

Digital

Established Member
Replacing an intecooler is very expensive. I would take it to a radiator shop and see if they can weld it for you. (P.S. you could also try stop-leak)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Don't keep driving it. If it lets go and leaks enough it can hydro-lock a cylinder and you can bend a rod.

Pull it off and take it to a top rated pro radiator shop. They will tell you if it's repairable or not.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Don't keep driving it. If it lets go and leaks enough it can hydro-lock a cylinder and you can bend a rod.

Pull it off and take it to a top rated pro radiator shop. They will tell you if it's repairable or not.

This, don`t take a chance or it could get real expensive.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
It's more likely that the o-rings on the inlet or outlet are leaking. Either way the blower has to be lifted up to repair. If it turns out that the intercooler itself is leaking, I have a good (pressure tested) used one here I can sell you.

Sanchez209

Established Member
Inter cooler leak!

I have the same problem now. I poor intercooler and it burns up and I can smell it comming out of my exhaust. Now my question is where do I get the gasket for the supercharger to stop the leakage?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I have the same problem now. I poor intercooler and it burns up and I can smell it comming out of my exhaust. Now my question is where do I get the gasket for the supercharger to stop the leakage?

First you need to determine where the fluid is leaking from. You could have a crack in your intercooler or like someone mentioned above it could just be faulty o-rings. Once you remove your intercooler you should be able to see if your o-rings were leaking. I would take your intercooler somewhere where they can pressure test it, any radiator shop can do this for you.

Intercooler O-rings part number: *N802927*S
Intercooler Manifold gasket: 2R3Z*9L438*BA
I highly recommend purchasing your parts through Tascaparts.com. Great service and they are a sponsor here.

Sanchez209

Established Member
Intercooler leak

Ok last sat I decided to check my oils and stuff and if realized I didn't have no intercooler...so I put some and left it over night. Sunday I checked and the intercooler was stil there so I went to the store and when I came back I checked again and it was all gone. I poured kore intercooler and I went for a ride and it started to bogg really bad and I pulled over and my intercooler was gone and it smelled really strong. So I took it back home really slow because when I accelerated into boost it would bogg down. So I checked my spark plugs and they were really burnt up so I changed them and I open my intake to clean it and through the 2 holes of my throttle body I could see that inside my supercharger there is like intercooler. Its all sticky and wet and I'm pretty sure that is not natural. So no I don't know what to do because no intercooler leaks or nothing it just disappears in my engine :(...

Have a bone stock 03 cobra no mods with 108K miles and don't drive it hard nor nothing.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
The intercooler is located under the supercharger so if you have a leak there it goes directly into the engine. You have to remove the supercharger to see it leaking. Do a search on freezing intercoolers and you will see pictures of poodles in the lower intake manifold.

TVSCobra

Established Member
You will have to go aftermarket if you can not find a stock one. I replaced mine and went with the LFP/Griffin unit. I did order a factory intercooler and it came in damaged and it was hard for Tousely to find. I had to send it back. Here is the link to the LFP/Griffin unit: LFP Extreme Intercooler Chiller Core 2003-04 SVT Cobra at LightningForcePerformance.com - Your American Muscle Parts Depot

Search my username for my thread on replacement intercooler. I'm going to reseal the tear in the sealant on my stock intercooler, but it also seemed like there was a internal issue inside my intercooler. I tested flow between the two and my old/stocker intercooler was doing funky stuff while passing water through it while testing it out of the car. So I am not comfortable selling it to someone.

Last edited:

Sanchez209

Established Member
Intercooler leak

Alright thanks guys ima try to remove my supercharger over the weekend and see what I find wrong. I will post pictures for future references

Sanchez209

Established Member
Intercooler leak

I seriously thought that the inter cooler was in the front bumper? The thing under the radiator in front of the car?

TVSCobra

Established Member
Replacing an intecooler is very expensive. I would take it to a radiator shop and see if they can weld it for you. (P.S. you could also try stop-leak)

I see people screwing up cooling systems on a daily basis with that garbage!

Users who are viewing this thread