I know you have seen others post be careful

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You guys spent 60k on your cars and are daily driving them this time of year without different tires? Seems like a very very bad idea to me.

Oh and in before some wise-ass with a GTR finds this thread and makes the standard AWD rocks! comments.

dom418

Established Member
You've obviously never driven a high hp farm truck before so go back over to that nut swinger site called teamshelby.

:lol:his posts do smell of Shelby arrogance sometimes.

OP throw a set of MSPP's if you are going to be driving her in cold temps. Not worth the risk on stock rubber.

RSH427R

Established Member
It was about 35 here this morning and gave it about 40-50% throttle merging onto the interstate and drifted across all 4 lanes and almost hit the barrier. The traction is an absolute joke in anything besides ideal conditions.

Be careful out there! :thumbsup:

I did the exact same thing last November. Not fun! :burnout:

5.0 guy

Established Member
Apparently y'all should spend less money on cars and more on reading lessons. It's says everywhere in the mustang materials that the GT-500s come with SUMMER ONLY tires. Which means if you have cold air temps and cold road surface temps you aren't going to have traction. So when you post a thread about wrecking your car because you spun in cold weather. I'm going to lol all over your thread.

There you are, I was wondering when you would make one of your jacka$$ comments. When you don't post it's like looking for that dog that dry humps your leg everytime you walk through the door. Have you purchased a car yet it still on Washington DC public transit?

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
All - Although MPSS are better than the "slickyears" they are not the answer for driving in 40 degrees or below with this much power. Look at the All Season versions or another tire all together like Conti DWS or something similar. Once it started staying in the 40's in early November I just parked mine for the winter as it's too tempting thinking you have traction and then realizing too late you don't!

big_ole_truck

Established Member
... It's says everywhere in the mustang materials that the GT-500s come with SUMMER ONLY tires. Which means if you have cold air temps and cold road surface temps you aren't going to have traction. ...

This. Ultra performance tires aren't good in low temps.

Last edited:

Anindya

Established Member
The stock tires demand extreme caution at low temperatures. Just thinking about the accelerator pedal is enough to start a slide. Stay safe everyone. Swapping tires is a good idea if you plan to drive in cold, wet/slippery conditions.

krman68

Established Member
I Got Pirelli ScottoZeros M+S for winter....great traction

For those who haven't experienced the ass end coming out in cold weather, trust me...it happens when you least expect it....I went 180 degrees going 25 going Around the corner. Feels like you are on a sheet of ice.

Nickoli

Established Member
I used to drive my lightning in the snow on stock tires and had less worries than I do with the gt500 on stock goodyears. These tires are the issue, not the driver. Take your lightning out and go 1/2 throttle doing 65mph. It won't blow off the tires. On the gt500 you better be ready to drive it because it will get away from you FAST. Faster than the nannies can kick in to try to save you even. Once the driver understands that the stock goodyears on a cold day are the equivalent of drag radials in the rain then you understand what you can and mainly can't do on them. But a lot of guys see dry roads and don't think regular driving will do what it will when on these tires and that is what catches them off guard.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Chris! posted a well-timed PSA a few months ago and it got derailed with all the professional drivers on here.
I'm sure if we're on this site we're much better than the average driver, but we also have a lot more RWD power.
No matter how good you are, these snakes can bite quickly.
Stock tires have a cold weather warning for a real reason, respect it.
-J

AMP GT500

Established Member
Man …… I am supposed to have my windows tinted tomorrow but now I am seriously considering covering my car for the winter. I wasn't concerned before but now I'm a bit nervous. Is it worth the risk? Should I just park the car and pick this up in spring?

mullens

Established Member
It doesn't have to be super cold with these tires. It was 62 here in Vegas and I gave it half throttle in 4th and almost lost it. These tires are downright dangerous in any temps below 80.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
2011, now, don't you miss all of the excitement. A high HP car with marginal traction is like a good looking, but crazy girl friend, you never know what will happen next.

LMFAO, my GF does plenty of crazy stuff for me already, I don't need the Shelby doing it to. And like the saying goes, spinning ain't winning :banana:

YELL03

Established Member
I have Michelin Pilot A/S 3s on my TVS swapped 2011 GT500.
I DD my car all 4 seasons and I feel confident, however....

although they are much better than the stock GYs in any temp, don't think that will mean you can go WOT in 2nd in cold weather, you are still talking about 600rwhp and a ton of torque.

On a 70 degree sunny day I can go WOT in 2nd, but on a cool 65 degree cloudy day without a Hot street surface you have to be careful.

My one complaint is, the TC system does not intervene quickly, this is great for performance driving, but don't count on it saving your butt.
On my 03 Cobras I had to turn it off as it was too intrusive, somewhere in the middle would be nice.

idaho

Established Member
...I echo that sentiment...it was 22 degrees this morning I made a left turn into an intersection (I was NOT moving fast) there were cars at part of this intersection and they got the view of this idiot doing a COMPLETE 360 degrees around in a circle like I was on ice (and I don't think I was) I did the 360 and just drove off in the opposite direction..(insert your favorite bowel movement joke)b:idea:

Wow, lots of excitement!

22 degrees on dry road should not be a problem with winter tires. I like my Pirelli Sottozero serie II tires and you can be confident driving somewhat aggressively at these temps and lower. You still have to take it easy when there is a risk of black ice. I've never driven this car on ice or snow, but it probably isn't much fun.

Driving with summer-only tires in freezing temps is dangerous, and you could be found criminally negligent if you hurt someone. Your insurance could potentially contest claims, and you are more likely to be found at fault. It is not worth the risk.

Last edited:

raustin0017

Established Member
Lordy...lordy....the temp is forty.

Drivers: What is the problem? The factory GYs are good tires. Not the best in the world but pretty darn good. Could the real problem be there is about 600 lbs of torque available to the rear tires anytime...in stock trim?

Many have said...just trash the GY and go with something else. So you going to tell me that the switched rubber can somehow tame the 600 lbs of torque?

I don't care what tires your running and what the temp is outside...it is all about the driver...not the tires.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Lordy...lordy....the temp is forty.

Drivers: What is the problem? The factory GYs are good tires. Not the best in the world but pretty darn good. Could the real problem be there is about 600 lbs of torque available to the rear tires anytime...in stock trim?

Many have said...just trash the GY and go with something else. So you going to tell me that the switched rubber can somehow tame the 600 lbs of torque?

I don't care what tires your running and what the temp is outside...it is all about the driver...not the tires.

I see what you are saying but tires do make a big difference on a car, I had my car come out and start fish tailing at about 35mph without warning. I was barely excellerating without any boost changing lanes and it scared the crap out of me. All of my cars are similar in power and none of them have ever done that before, of course we do have to take caution to the power plus road conditions but man it can get scary quick.

Users who are viewing this thread