I know you have seen others post be careful

steeltoe

Established Member
My one complaint is, the TC system does not intervene quickly, this is great for performance driving, but don't count on it saving your butt.
On my 03 Cobras I had to turn it off as it was too intrusive, somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Problem is these cars make so power that they power through the traction control and in some cases the car doesn't think it's lost traction. I only saw the TC/SC light once and that was when I was doing a U-turn like a jackass and ended up doing a donut. For the car to step in the yaw sensor has to read a good amount of G's and then the TC/SC module has to see no or opposite steering input. I can almost promise you not one of these cars in this thread met those requirements aside from the OP. And the TC system is just as bad it has to see more then 10 MPH different front to rear before it either fires the rear brakes(which is worthless) or kills power.

The GY F1 and all of its versions is a crappy tire. You can search here and any corvette forum and find tons of complaints that it's just not a good tire.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Problem is these cars make so power that they power through the traction control and in some cases the car doesn't think it's lost traction. I only saw the TC/SC light once and that was when I was doing a U-turn like a jackass and ended up doing a donut. For the car to step in the yaw sensor has to read a good amount of G's and then the TC/SC module has to see no or opposite steering input. I can almost promise you not one of these cars in this thread met those requirements aside from the OP. And the TC system is just as bad it has to see more then 10 MPH different front to rear before it either fires the rear brakes(which is worthless) or kills power.

The GY F1 and all of its versions is a crappy tire. You can search here and any corvette forum and find tons of complaints that it's just not a good tire.
I disagree. I like the way the Traction/Stability control works on this car. It SUCKED on the 03 Cobra, but I like it on the '13 GT500. It's easy to notice when the TC is engaged, but I have also felt the involvement of the stability control while autocrossing and road racing. Yes, both of them will allow you some spin/skid, but I think that's as it should be. How much driving to you actually want the car to do FOR you anyway? :beer:

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I got no disrespect from his comment. Your example has no comparison to a GT500 and a 550hp Lightning. We are talking traction, not speed.

Anyway, just be light on the throttle and you will be fine. It's no worse than driving a regular car in the snow - gentle throttle inputs, large following distance and slow down early.

Actually, my point was that the traction obtainable by a lightning far exceeds that of the gt500, and to compare traction of the two would be like comparing the top speeds of a really slow car to the fastest car I could think of.

nhs156

Established Member
It doesn't have to be super cold with these tires. It was 62 here in Vegas and I gave it half throttle in 4th and almost lost it. These tires are downright dangerous in any temps below 80.
Agreed. Had a scare last week - accelerating in 3rd on a 60-70F day when all of a sudden the back broke out and I started fishtailing briefly. Caught me completely off guard. The stock GYs are pointless - the only thing they seem to be good for is wear/mileage, which to me suggests the compound isn't sufficiently sticky/soft. I drive it very carefully in the rain - and now that a rear is cracked (per the Goodyear PSB of March 28 2011), I'm ditching them completely for a set of Michelins - which I should have done on day 1.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
You've obviously never driven a high hp farm truck before so go back over to that nut swinger site called teamshelby.

If you mean a truck with fake pipes sticking out of the bed, then no. If you mean a 600hp+ turbo diesel, Ive got two, and since you were once Eaton U, I would think you would remember talking about that. One actually has farm plates, so you can definitely call it a farm truck. The raptor is fun, but sometimes you need the towing.

You know, the Internet may seem like an impersonal way to insult, but you never know what you my be getting yourself into. Right Mr. Stangle? I expect more from a Navy man.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
You're such a douche. If you mean a truck with fake pipes sticking out of the bed, then no. If you mean a 600hp+ turbo diesel, Ive got two. And one actually has farm plates. The raptor is fun, but sometimes you need the towing capacity.

Somewhere, there is a BMW calling your name. :loser:
I'm a douche and you're talking shit about a truck you know nothing about. lololololololol Your lack of knowledge about anything other the Carroll Shelby's nuts is truly amazing.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Agreed. Had a scare last week - accelerating in 3rd on a 60-70F day when all of a sudden the back broke out and I started fishtailing briefly. Caught me completely off guard. The stock GYs are pointless - the only thing they seem to be good for is wear/mileage, which to me suggests the compound isn't sufficiently sticky/soft. I drive it very carefully in the rain - and now that a rear is cracked (per the Goodyear PSB of March 28 2011), I'm ditching them completely for a set of Michelins - which I should have done on day 1.

I've posted videos on here of me and another member driving on a road course in 40+ degree weather. He was on MPSS and I was on the stock rubber. Somehow we accidentally stuck like glue and had a great event. :dw:

dubbsfaris

Established Member
I'm a douche and you're talking shit about a truck you know nothing about. lololololololol Your lack of knowledge about anything other the Carroll Shelby's nuts is truly amazing.

Good, you caught that. So you're not a total idiot.

Google searched what? You really don't remember me? That's interesting.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Lucky? Tires warm?

No, not lucky. Certainly wouldn't try to do any sort of performance driving on cold tires. We took the first lap or so to warm the tires up before getting on it harder. The laps in this video are about 8-10 seconds slower than the second video (taken in the afternoon), but as you can see we certainly weren't risking certain death at every turn. These were taken on November 7th in Oklahoma. Temp was 35 degrees when we left the garage at the hotel to go to the track at 8am. This video was taken at 10:20am. If you watch the lap beginning around the 5:30 mark you will hear the tires screeching in several places, but the car remains easily controllable.

Most have already seen this, but here's the video: Hallett - 11/7/13 - Morning Session 2

Same day, but in the afternoon where I pushed it harder: Hallett - 11/7/13 - Afternoon Session

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I got a set of the Boss charcoal 19"x 9" wheels from American Muscle along with Pirelli P-Zero Nero all-season 274/40/ 19 tires with TPMS sensors for a square setup at a great package price. This isn't an ad for AM by the way. Any tire that can handle below 40 degree temps should do the trick.

Driving in New England it gets cold early in the Fall and warm late in the Spring. I'm not driving it in the snow, but the cold weather traction is great! The SVTPP wheels/Goodyear tires are in the basement. I have added at least two extra months of driving, as well as safe driving. Braking is safer because the tires adhere better in the cold weather, and I don't go down the street sideways.

It's kind of like wearing white socks: they aren't the coolest thing to wear, but they get the job done!

Pete

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I was gonna take my car out on the highway for a nice drive but temps are going to be low to mid 30's. If I take it real easy will I be ok or is this a big mistake?

You CAN be ok. Whether you WILL be ok is dependent upon your level of common sense. Personally, I say do it. Instead of listening to my opinion or anyone else's, go out and find a safe place to get a feel for the car and experiment a little. That way you can discover exactly what you are comfortable with and what you aren't. Even in cold temps your tires can be warmed up enough to tell a difference in performance. Experiment. Be safe and be smart, but experiment. Go learn how your car reacts in your own hands. It's like a gun. If you are scared of the weapon and nervous to have it in your hand, then you and those around you are not safe.

Upheval

American Muscle Lover
Established Member
I have taken the Shelby out a couple of times when it was at or below the recommended temp. It was just too nice of a day, but the temp and the tires were always on my mind. You guys that use these things as daily drivers, I can see sometimes crap can happen with minimal input to the throttle. I know having more than one car is a luxury, but even if I only could have the Shelby, I dont think I would want to drive her daily and I would own a shit box as a DD. Kudos to those that put lots of miles on their rides without wrecking it.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
You CAN be ok. Whether you WILL be ok is dependent upon your level of common sense. Personally, I say do it. Instead of listening to my opinion or anyone else's, go out and find a safe place to get a feel for the car and experiment a little. That way you can discover exactly what you are comfortable with and what you aren't. Even in cold temps your tires can be warmed up enough to tell a difference in performance. Experiment. Be safe and be smart, but experiment. Go learn how your car reacts in your own hands. It's like a gun. If you are scared of the weapon and nervous to have it in your hand, then you and those around you are not safe.

It's intelligent posts like this that make this community great.

I took the car out for a short easy 10 mile ride. It was 35'F. I took it real slow kept the revs below 2500 and was perfectly fine. The more seat time I get the better as I just got the car last week.

If you don't respect the car it will strike you like a cobra and bite you instantly. I've driven rear wheel drive cars my whole life would never own anything else for my weekend ride and just drove like there was a coating of snow on the road. Anticipating my next move in advance. Easy acceleration and braking. Soft turns. It's not rocket science it's common sense and respect not fear.

Have a great holiday and be safe. :beer:

badmammajamma

Established Member
Yes I get the easy on the accelerator braKes etc but I come from a Subaru STi which loved to be tossed into a turn at speed so that is my first reflex. I did 8 years in that Subie so some habits are hard to brake...(ha)..good advice for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread