I need your opinions on this deal

wickedcobra99

Established Member
My buddy mechanic unfortunately recently locked up his motor in his cobra because the power went out in his garage and he just runs water in his intercooler so he was willing to cut me a good deal on some of his parts. I am getting his Johnny ported blower with a port matched dragon throttle body and adapter. But here is where I am conflicted. Since I am going to need a new MAF, he is willing to let his JLT high boost intake w/ a BA-3000 go for $300. From what I have researched, the BA-3000 is overkill for the 500-550 rear wheel horsepower range and that I could run into issues. I could do this or I could just purchase a BA-2400 and put it on my JLT RAI.

What would you guys do?

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If you are installing a ported setup you may also need injectors and a BAP. Dead set against a MAFia?

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'm not convinced you'll need a MAF around 500 to 510 rwhp .... with you current JLT, you'd need the complete MAF housing! .... I believe only the HB kits have the slots built into them!

When did you go to the 3.73's? Like them?

wickedcobra99

Established Member
This doesn't make any sense to me?

The power went out in his garage during a a winter storm and the water froze and cracked his intercooler. This happened during the day and he didn't know because he was at work. Idk how long after this happened but he eventually went to start his car and water got into places it shouldn't have. He is selling some of his parts because he is going to tear the engine down and eventually go turbo.

Tim, I went to 3.73's near the end of summer last year when my differential developed a leak. I figured since it was already out I might at well. I like them. There is just enough of a difference between these and 3.55's that I can feel it. It feels like there is a little more torque when I push the go pedal down.

KLLR SNK, I have a BAP and wire upgrade ready to order. They are telling me I may not need injectors but that seems like it's pushing it to me. I'll probably keep my eye out for a set of used 60's because I don't want to have it tuned and find out I making enough power to max the stockers out and then have to order them after the fact. I am not dead set against a MAFia, but I figured the JLT HB w/ the BA-3000 was a good deal.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
I am not so worried about the HB intake. My main concern is running into issues using the BA-3000 for my power level instead of another like a BA-2600. Some say don't because you lose resolution down low and I don't know what that means.

03' White Snake

Established Member
BA 3000 will be fine. My brother is running it with 460 hp. A good turner should be able to tune it without issue. Or buy the BA 3000 and I will trade you my BA 2400 as I am near maxed out with mine right now.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
BA 3000 will be fine. My brother is running it with 460 hp. A good turner should be able to tune it without issue. Or buy the BA 3000 and I will trade you my BA 2400 as I am near maxed out with mine right now.

I'll give the BA-3000 a shot then. My tuner is very reputable plus he tuned this ported blower setup w/ the BA-3000 on my friends car from whom I am buying it from except that he had nitrous, cams, etc. so I am hoping he doesn't have any problems with my car.

Great....I'm stuffing 3.73's into my built SRA!

Get that Ported blower and have fun after a good tune!

I will! I'll send you pics of the setup after the install. :beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I'd go with a preowned MAFia and spend the difference on preowned 60's pre dyno so you're ready. FWIW just made 605/676 on MAFia and 75 shot, it's way overkill in your case. Poppin in a 125 jet soon and said setup is just fine for handling the air induction duties.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
I'd go with a preowned MAFia and spend the difference on preowned 60's pre dyno so you're ready. FWIW just made 605/676 on MAFia and 75 shot, it's way overkill in your case. Poppin in a 125 jet soon and said setup is just fine for handling the air induction duties.

I went ahead and bought my buddy's injectors. They are a custom set of flow matched 80's from fiveomotorsport.com. I learned yesterday that my tuner prefers the SCT stuff so I am going to give the BA-3000 a shot. If it works out well, I'll be putting my JLT RAI up in the market section to help recoup the cost.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Nope....I ran e85 with my old POSI setup! Stock line, hat, rails ... with GT pumps, BAP & 60# injectors.

Made 549/570 to the wheels and ran in the 10.8's :)

Users who are viewing this thread