I put MT 305/45/18..car feels slower top end??

LthlGt500

Established Member
I just put this on yesterday and a few friends told me these tires would slow me down top end...now my understanding from reading the forum is that the car will have longer gears which could hurt the acceleration....most of my races occur from rolls not digs :rolling:....is it just in my head or is the acceleration top end slower??

by the way my mods are
~intake
~pulley
~stock gears

que4dog

Established Member
You will be slower from dig than you would with a stock tire size (if with the same gears). You may think you are going slower on the top end but you are not any slower. For example, if you are actually going 70 mph your speedometer will only read somewhere around 65 or 66 mph with the taller tires.

Last edited:

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
My car felt much slower down low and on top with stock gears and 28" tire. Im sure its not really slower on top, just felt that way.:shrug: Horrible off the line though.

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
My car felt much slower down low and on top with stock gears and 28" tire. Im sure its not really slower on top, just felt that way.:shrug: Horrible off the line though.

Chances are that max top-end would not be affected (although its possible), but the fact is that by running a taller tire (28" tire would put your effective rear gear ratio ~3.18-3.20 vs. 3.31) you would definitely accelerate slower in each gear. This is just a mathematical fact, which is also backed up by your "butt-meter." Off the line, or from a 3rd gear punch, the car would accelerate a little slower.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
sounds like some 6.14s are in order! you guys and your pussy ass 3.73s and 4.10s!!!

hahaha, sounds like towing truck gear to me. if you still drive it on the street i would say 373's, if you want it to rip your pants offs 410's

Users who are viewing this thread