I think im stuck..03 Cobra Swap on 03 Gt

FastyJohn03

Established Member
Im helping brother finish this swap it was a donor 03 cobra motor with 27k, now motor of the car was running fine I drove it the same day after we pulled everything out. the swap was smoothly but car cranks but doesnt start? I was ussing the Gt dash harness but on the clushter showed "--------" and the theft light was blinking. Then I swaped out the Gt dash for the 03 cobra car does same it cranks but doesnt start and now the clushter doesnt show anything :shrug: Before I get asked I did research but no luck. and also car does have 03 Cobra gas tank,My question is since the Gt dash showed more activity sings could I just have my tuner send me a tune and disable the PATS and maybe turn on.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
PATS was my first thought as well. So you used all the cobra underhood wiring etc? Is the fuel pump cycling on when you turn the key on? Did you swap the steering column as well? Didn't some of these fords need the chipped key that talks to the anti theft to start?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sounds PATS related to me. I thought the key, whatever the piece in the column is and the computer all had to match up but Im really not sure

FastyJohn03

Established Member
PATS was my first thought as well. So you used all the cobra underhood wiring etc? Is the fuel pump cycling on when you turn the key on? Did you swap the steering column as well? Didn't some of these fords need the chipped key that talks to the anti theft to start?

Yes I switch the steering column and I also did the key of the cobra. The only thing that wasn't changed was battery junction box
And the wiring from floor mat to the back, but I'm ussing 03 cobra hat and pumps.

sounds PATS related to me. I thought the key, whatever the piece in the column is and the computer all had to match up but Im really not sure

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id have the tuner send you a no pats tune personally, if for nothing else but to trouble shoot then if you want pats to work you can figure it out later

FastyJohn03

Established Member
id have the tuner send you a no pats tune personally, if for nothing else but to trouble shoot then if you want pats to work you can figure it out later

Update: I just had my tuner send me a base tune and the PATS disabled, but when I want to plug the sct it says ecm fail... what those that now mean

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Make sure everything is properly grounded. Including the ecm. I had similar starting problems that you describe and came to find I missed hooking up a ground wire.

redrocket16

Established Member
Good point about the SCT tuner being married. If it was the same tuner you used with the GT computer it is still married to that computer and will not work with the 03-04 computer. You will either need to somehow hook up enough wiring to unmarry it or send it in to SCT and have them do that for you if that's the case.

mkb116

Established Member
When my cobras dash displayed dashes and the theft light flashed, my pcm was bad and had to be replaced. I tried to disable the pats at first, to no avail.

My engine had been out for a couple years, when I put the new one in was when the problem occurred.

Last edited:

FastyJohn03

Established Member
Update; I notice that my fuel pumps where not turning on,So I unplug the fuel line hose and crank it and it wasn't sending fuel to motor.. So now I'm going to see if i can wire the power wire fuel to the 03 cobra harness, but notice 03 cobra power wire harness is green with yellow and the Gt harness its grey-ish with pink/reddish.. But up front the harness power it looks smaller then the back? Might be easyer if I just buy 03 cobra body harness then cutting all these wires. Will update and see if I can try ad see if that's the issue:

Last edited:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
That might be the reason it won't fire but not the ------ issue. I think you've got a few bugs left to work out. Try to get the comp correct first, load the tune, then listen for the FP to kick on. Once you've eliminated one area (pats) move onto another (wiring).

FastyJohn03

Established Member
^ well now part of it that's fixed know it now shows the miles but won't let me upload the tune it says ECM fail.. Theirs a wire coming from the harness (03 cobra) that I don't know where it plugs two? Their green with yellow I think thats fuel pump power wire but don't know if it has todo with not letting me upload that tune or fail to ECM .

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
You guys can disable PATS with a tune? I've never heard of this. How do you guys do that?

It can be turned off, I had Rick do it on my old SB cobra. I assume we can do it in PRP but I never looked my new terminator is low mileage enough to not be worried about it at this point. Although if you do it the theft light will flash like crazy when driving so you'll want to remove the bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread