I think my frame is bent-->

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I think my frame is bent-->Updated with Pics

After getting her back from getting lowered I noticed the passenger side pillar(outside one) is touching the front fender. The drivers side has a gap in the same location. Also, There is a larger gap between the hood and the plastic grill piece that covers the wiper motor. You know the part right under the wipers. The passenger pillar actully hit the fender and chipped a peice of paint away. I've heard Ford can bend the frame back in spec but I would hate for them to touch my snake again. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take her to the same Ford Griffin suggested that fixed his driveline clunk. I'm going to be sick leaving her there. Any thing I should know about this frame issue?

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Did they drop your car off the lift at the shop? Where you with it the whole time?

My 94 had been in a front end collision and the pillar to fender relationship looked perfect.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Steeda installed springs. cc plates and throttle body. It was left there for about 6 hours. Now damage anywhere. It's a vert and I know the body flexes but this is just strange. I'll take some pics and post them later tonight or tomorrow.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I would be more inclined to think they didn't install the springs correctly then they bent the frame. We don't have the strongest frame around, but it doesn't just bend.

Aren't you happy with your experience with Steeda's experienced staff? ;-)

Onelfastlride

Established Member
An alternate to you spring theory. Isn't it possibe the car was not supported properly and then jacked up. The weight of the car would twist itself?

Last edited:
Mustangs don't have frames

The Mustang is a unibody, meaning they do not have a full length frame. Are you sure the car wasn't like that before the spring's were installed. I've seen many 99+ Mustang's with large gaps or no gaps between the Fender to A-pillar area. It's probably just the fit and finish from the factory. I would be surprised if this is the result of having springs installed.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I had a '98 GT that had the Passenger side a-post hitting the fender right beside the cowl. Like that from factory. Open the passenger door and make sure the bolt at the bottom of the a-post(high in the door jamb) is there. It wasn't in mine, but the damage had already been done. Good luck!!

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Re: Mustangs don't have frames

Originally posted by 5.7 liter eater
The Mustang is a unibody, meaning they do not have a full length frame. Are you sure the car wasn't like that before the spring's were installed. I've seen many 99+ Mustang's with large gaps or no gaps between the Fender to A-pillar area. It's probably just the fit and finish from the factory. I would be surprised if this is the result of having springs installed.

I think it could be the way they jacked it up. I can't get a standard jack under it now because it's too low. I'm wondering how they did this and if that is the reason why it's now twisted. It wasn't like this before I brought it to them. I will post a long threat about Steeda sometime today. Everyone will be suprised how Steeda is handleing things with me. I'm just shocked and very upset with their customer service.

Originally posted by Killer Cobra
I think it could be the way they jacked it up. I can't get a standard jack under it now because it's too low. I'm wondering how they did this and if that is the reason why it's now twisted. It wasn't like this before I brought it to them. I will post a long threat about Steeda sometime today. Everyone will be suprised how Steeda is handleing things with me. I'm just shocked and very upset with their customer service.

The car is too low to be jacked up with a standard jack because you lowered it. That is completely normal. The new springs lowered the height of the car, which is what they're made to do. On my last cobra with aftermarket springs I had to drive it up onto wooden ramps I made, so I could squeeze a floor jack underneath the subframe.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The fit and finish comment above might be the answer. At stock height any slight deviation probably wouldn't be noticeable. But lowering the car reduces the clearances making any deviations more noticeable. Just a possibility. I would highly doubt that Steeda's install is the culprit.
:shrug:

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
The fit and finish comment above might be the answer. At stock height any slight deviation probably wouldn't be noticeable. But lowering the car reduces the clearances making any deviations more noticeable. Just a possibility. I would highly doubt that Steeda's install is the culprit.
:shrug:

I'm not pointing fingers or telling them to fix it. What I'm, saying is this happened when they installed the springs. The gaps were not there, now they are. I noticed this the night I got it back bacause I was upset at the rag they used to clean the fenders off. Whatever they used left dirty water marks on boith fenders and I was going over them for scratches. I wash my car twice a week, drive it at nights and on the weekends and it lives in the garage. It's always clean and doesn't have one scratch on it.

You're really pro steeda Bob and I was to until something went wrong and they turned on me. They never even tried to make it right. Since I hurt Eric's feeling he must havfe done something for them to send an email like that to me

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
You're really pro steeda Bob and I was to until something went wrong and they turned on me.
No, I'm not pro-Steeda. I haven't had any problems with them, though. My point was that maybe before the car was lowered any spec differences one side to the other maybe weren't noticeable, but when the car was lowered they became noticeable. Just a thought. It would take a lot for ANY shop to bend a frame. I would think you'd see more exterior damage if that were the case -- from abuse. Good luck, though. Hope you find out the frame ISN'T bent. Are you taking it to another shop or the dealer to check the frame?

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
Killer Cobra, in my opinion that is a problem with the car and it is not Steeda's fault. These bodies flex when you jack them up. Especially a convertible. Even with subframe connectors the body will flex when you jack it up. There is no way Steeda bent the frame putting in springs. If you are going to mod the car things like this are going to come up, unfortunately.

Sorry you have had so many problems with your car.

Jim

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by jmimac351
There is no way Steeda bent the frame putting in springs.
Jim
[/QUOTE

For what ever reason when I got my car back from them the gaps where there. I'm not making steeda fix it. All I'm saying is it happened when they had my car. They also fixed the exhaust at the same time. One tail pipe was sticking out 1/2 futher then the other. So fixing the exhaust, installing springs and throttle body I got the cobra back with those gaps and the passenger pillar now hitting the fender. So YES it did happen at their shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread