I went to the Track, Crappy times follow(long)...

jtfx6552

Established Member
The main reason I go to the track is to race myself, not to race ZL1s, Z06s, or to "win" some street car class with rules that only exist in my own mind...

With my cars I usually spend some time trying to get the best time out of them stock, then once I'm convinced I've done that and get bored running the same times week after week, I move on and add mods and try to make the car quicker.

Even though the weather was relatively crappy for around here, airdensityonline.com said 2400 ft, I thought I'd give it a try.

I spent most of the day trying to figure out the 9 [edit:8] different traction control modes, see the post here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../860596-launch-control-advancetrac-modes.html

I thought it would be fun to see if I could "beat" the computer. Anyway, I never really finished figuring things out before I left for the track. while playing with it, even though I thought I had the two step set I could never get the car to hold the rpm? I thought that the "two step" function only worked in mode 6, so I wasn't sure if I wasn't in mode 6, or what the problem was.

Now, if I understand correctly, "traction Control" needs to be off to do a burn out. My first run I wanted to use the computer launch control, so I pulled up, turned traction control off, and almost stalled doing the burn out. Thought that was odd, but hit the button to turn traction control back on and staged.

Lights come down, I leave, car trips the start light bulb, but almost stalls, I push the clutch in let it recover, hit it, and run a 12.455 at 124.53 with a 2.596 60 ft.

Cecil62712-1566.jpg

So now I deicide the computer sucks, and figure I'll try with everything off.

I think I have everything off, car actually stalls doing the burn out. I'm like WTF!. I restart, attempt to turn off traction control again while everyone in the place is looking at the ahole that can't drive. Now turning the traction control off when you are holding up the whole track is a huge pain, first it makes you confirm that it is off, then it makes you confirm that launch control is unavailable. If you click the buttons too fast, it doesn't register, and the process starts over.

I finally get up the line,and totally blow the tires off, to the point that I just abort the run.

Run three, I figure I'll try the computer again, car almost stalls again, frustration level building...

After that run, I pull off at a deserted part of the track and start trying launches and found the problem. Back from early in the day I had the "two step" rpm set real low just to see if it would work, at 2500 rpm. Well now it was actually kicking in, so when I tried to do a burn out, the rpm was stuck at 2500, when I tried to feed it more gas at the line it just stayed at 2500 and as I released the clutch, car almost stalled. I then raise the two step limit to 4000, and all seems well. Keep in kind, I never even thought I was in a mode that the two step was active.

I pull around for a run, now the car is nice an toasty after the last run, and about 10 simulated launches. I think I have all electronic nannies turned off, whatever mode I was in car doesn't even come close to stalling on the burn out or launch, seems like a good pass. Ticket says 11.715 at 123.84.

Cecil62712-4567.jpg

So, I was hoping for 11:50 at 125+ even in the crappy weather, so I figure I'll let it cool a little, but there isn't much time left. I make the next pass, miss second and drive home.

So not so bad, I was hoping to at least be faster than my '03 back when it only had 3 mods, which went 11.709 at 122.98 with only a 2.93 lightning pulley, tune and a catback on the factory F1s, but I was close. The '03 run was in better weather with a better 60 ft.

Car is a full second faster than the '03 stock was stock which went 12.7 at 110 in similar weather.

Anyone have traction control hints, I can't wait to read them, lol.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Nice run. Lol people thinking 11.7 in a stock ? (I guess) car is crappy ????

If I was you I would go to a place with no traffic, nice long straight, and practice using the LC and TC and see how it works. The best mod for any car is seat time. When you learn your car, you def drive a lot better.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Too bad they don't show the 1000' MPH , but your mid-upper 90's at the 1/8 is real strong....especially with all the LC stuff you were dealing with !!!

It'll take a bit of time for people to get accustomed to these cars and all the LC stuff....sweet that you're taking it to the track. It's only going to go faster from here :rockon:

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member
Maybe you shouldve practiced in some empty road/huge lot/something other than having to pay and have everybody watch? I know I'm going to...(EDIT!) didnt read til the end!! :D my bad

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I can see where if you thought only one mode had a two step (not even mentioning set at 2500 rpm lol) that you could begin Ginger frustrated quickly.

I've spent some time, though not totally dedicated, to playing with the LC/TC settings.

The book says there are 8 total modes, though i don't know all of them.

TC on - LC on (rev limiter active)
TC off/Advance Trac Sport - LC on (rev limiter active)

Those are the two modes I've played with the most.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
considering the issues you had, thats an awesome time in my book! I need to really get that LC stuff dialed in once I have a lil more break in...maybe someone can do a sticky thread with an easy to understand go by for using the settings, what usually works, how, etc??

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
considering the issues you had, thats an awesome time in my book! I need to really get that LC stuff dialed in once I have a lil more break in...maybe someone can do a sticky thread with an easy to understand go by for using the settings, what usually works, how, etc??

Congrat's, my friend, on you taking delivery yesterday of your new toy :beer:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Only a "full second" quicker than your old '03, but nearly 15 mph faster!!!

Very nice and with some seat time you'll figure out the rest.
S.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Only a "full second" quicker than your old '03, but nearly 15 mph faster!!!

Very nice and with some seat time you'll figure out the rest.
S.

Right "only", lol. The thing about the '03 was with a $75 lightning take off pulley, a tune, and a cat back, it was almost as quick and fast as the 662 HP beast, at least on factory rubber.

I'm sure I''ll get better in the GT500.

The track apps is a great start, but it is too crammed in there in that little display area between the gauges. Plus, I really wanted to use that area to look at air intake and oil temps.

It would be nice if the track apps were accessible from the nav touch screen. Plenty of room there to display the mode you are in, the two step setting, etc, all at once without paging around.

Users who are viewing this thread