id like to build a atleast a 1500hp motor

SlowSVT

Established Member
Brian

Not a good idea using Mihovetz as a reference. He runs insane boost levels and does not expect to get 1000 or 100 miles on his engine more like 2 between rebuilds if even that. He's in the business to win races so all the engine has to do is get him across the Finish Line first and I'm sure he's has many casualties along the way. I would think you want your engine to last as long as possible so you can enjoy it the most. Nothing like a well worn engine that that can dish it out as well as it can take it. NEW engines should NEVER be trusted as you found out. During those dyno runs I'm sure you had your fingers were crossed while biting your nails at the same time I know I would. Avoid retuning to that thing until you put some miles on it many an engine have sacrificed themselves to a dynamometer...........remember Hangman?

Your set-up should easily cope with making 800 hp but I would consider ditching that stroker crank nothing good other than adding 20 cubes can come from that. Your most robust config will be a stock bore and stroke 4.6 which will probably sustain making more power than a 324 due to it's stronger internal geometry. To be honest turbo V8's are nothing more than a full-on cardiac arrest to begin with. Chick's will not dig this car! :nono:

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
If I am not mistaken, the stock aluminum block that holds insane power is the Teksid version. The Ford version is only good for like 800? The Teksid block came in some of the earlier Cobras and Mark VIII's. The webbing down the center of the Teksid blocks in square, it is diamonds on the Ford block. I think something is reversed on the Mark VIII block though? I don't remember, so do some research if you try to find one.

WAP blocks hold a ton too still

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
A 1200 hp mod motor is nothing more than a ticking time bomb!

/QUOTE]

This is insanely wrong...I know people that daily drive 1000 rwhp mod motors for years and years....and make tons of track passes

this guy is talking out his butt

there are several high hp mod motors out here and then what he said about J.M. wow

my issue was it was never built right and so til I can do it right then I went back with a stock setup.

so slowsvt you don't like john...

how about:

bob kurgan
brad brand
tim lynch
steve petty

those are all big names that have ran/built/tuned high hp mod motors.

and those guys are in Georgia there are several people all over the nation running bad ass mod motors.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm not saying go out and build a 2500hp motor and expect it to last.. What I am saying is that there are plenty of 1000rwhp car on the street with aluminum blocks that have been running for years.. The AL block is up to the task..

Also you want to talk about durablility. Racebronco uses a Teksid block in his 17psi Whippled Road race car and it works just fine. John Griggs uses a teksid block on his road race 98 with 700rwhp high compression engine as well.. They work.. They won't go out of round in 1 day etc..

stangfreak

Established Member
I don't get it. my buddy ran mid 8's at 165mph, his car made over 1100rwhp through an automatic and he runs a boss block and never encountered any of these issues.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I don't get it. my buddy ran mid 8's at 165mph, his car made over 1100rwhp through an automatic and he runs a boss block and never encountered any of these issues.

Is he running a stock crank or stroker?

Part of my problem I believe is the 3.800 stroke crank

50q's

Established Member
If anyone hasn't figured out yet slowsvt is the Chuck Norris of modular motor info. He has a degree which makes him way smarter than someone who has tested and seen results. You don't need hands on experience like mihovetz you just need to think your smart and engineer awesome improved cooling mods and structural support for the irs. Hahaha

gabe1530

Banned

also wondering what crank hes running? i bet its an oem or billet oem.
built correctly, they are amazing blocks that can handle a lot. the main thing is trail and error and i bet he/his builder have learned from the mistakes of others.

SlowSVT

Established Member
this guy is talking out his butt

there are several high hp mod motors out here and then what he said about J.M. wow

my issue was it was never built right and so til I can do it right then I went back with a stock setup.

so slowsvt you don't like john...

how about:

bob kurgan
brad brand
tim lynch
steve petty

those are all big names that have ran/built/tuned high hp mod motors.

and those guys are in Georgia there are several people all over the nation running bad ass mod motors.

Brian

I took the time trying to give you good advice and this is your response

Nowhere did I ever say this engine cannot hold a lot of power?

Your citing professional drag racers again. You are not Brad Brand!

It appears you are contemplating dialing back your motor and perhaps putting that stroker crank on EBay which is what I was getting at all along. Good call

Users who are viewing this thread