If you had to get a brand new car w/awd

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
I'm 6'1 and DD my Evo X. Love the Recaros and even on longer trips Ive never had any issues with comfort. Its the best bang for the buck out of all of them IMO

colin450

Established Member
Not too many boy racers are going to be able to afford $35K+ car. I say wait for RS if you can. I'm going to give it a hard look when it's available.

MysticRob

Established Member
run away from those things fast. turbos all day long crap out.

I know 5 guys who own one (3 work at my bldg) and not one has had actual turbo problems. Wastegate actuating rods and the butterfly valves attached to that assembly get loose and rattle, but not the turbos themselves. And for a DIY'er they're not too difficult to tighten and resolve. Of course there are other problems with them, like the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), or the VANOS solenoids, again all fixable as DIY. The best part about those cars is you throw a Cobb tune and a large intercooler on them and you're looking at ~100hp/tq gains on an already very fast 4-door sedan.

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
My vote goes to the SHO. I drove one for a couple days and loved it. Extremely comfortable. I'm 6'8" and had plenty of space

MysticRob

Established Member
Isnt CPO only good for the remainder of the warranty?

When I checked into BMW's CPO coverage it was for 7yrs/100,000mi, or whatever is still left on the mileage/time limits after CPO coverage has started. You can always shop around for more factory warranty coverage after it expires. I tend to do my own maintenance so I never looked into it further.
I really only mentioned the CPO option since you'd mentioned your $40k cap in the OP, which would be more than enough for a nice, lower mileage 335i with CPO coverage --- piece of mind kinda thing. Of course a new 335i starts at only $44k according to their site. I personally love the 4-door/5-passenger option they offer, with light weight and great mileage.

6.0GTO

Established Member
I was in a similar situation all last year. I wanted AWD for Colorado winters and still fun in the summer. I ended up going old. 2003 RS6. Twin turbo V8, AWD and most certainly fun! I am rolling the dice on repairs though. Repair costs for this car are enough to make grown men cry. I have since put a tune on the transmission and engine. Audi only sent 875 of these to the US. This car is alot of fun.

IMG_0011_zpsddd77f23.jpg

IMG_0022JPG2_zpsc46771fa.jpg

Stateguy

Established Member
Acura TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual or tlx SH-AWD both may not be "fast" but are comfortable and reliable.

MysticRob

Established Member
I was in a similar situation all last year. I wanted AWD for Colorado winters and still fun in the summer. I ended up going old. 2003 RS6. Twin turbo V8, AWD and most certainly fun! I am rolling the dice on repairs though. Repair costs for this car are enough to make grown men cry. I have since put a tune on the transmission and engine. Audi only sent 875 of these to the US. This car is alot of fun.

IMG_0011_zpsddd77f23.jpg

IMG_0022JPG2_zpsc46771fa.jpg

Good choice, they're a fun car. Coworker had one in Toronto and with 4 guys in it the thing still moved out quick. I have a lot of family in Fort Collins, and it's close to Estes Park -- color me jelly, bro.

6.0GTO

Established Member
Good choice, they're a fun car. Coworker had one in Toronto and with 4 guys in it the thing still moved out quick. I have a lot of family in Fort Collins, and it's close to Estes Park -- color me jelly, bro.

Yeah I reallly like it here. Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park is really beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread