I'm stuck between two rocks and a hard place. I need advice.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
For starters. The basics. I'm the lead technician at a local diesel shop in my area. A LOT of people know me for my love of automobiles, and my abilities both in automotive and diesel. I'm turning 28 this year to put age to it. Paid 32/hr + 401k with 5% match, paid health insurance, $3k/year Healthcare reimbursement, a nice PTO setup, and a small tool allowance. (Been employed here since 2015.)

Moving on.

I was recently solicited by a local UPS delivery driver this past week about a mechanic position opening up here in a few months at the local UPS hub. Cliffs, $45/hr health insurance, retirement. Unsure on other ins and outs. Add ~ 3 minutes to daily commute.

I informed my foreman about this, and he then informed me, he had been wanting to talk to me about possibly going in with he and another coworker on purchasing our place of employment. (Retirement age owners with kids that want nothing to do with the business.)

A few days following, (today) I was solicited by another tech at a local ford dealer. Noting the dealer just swapped owners, (for the better,) they're looking to hire new techs, and more diesel savvy ones at that. Awaiting phone call from management (that joke with employment every time I pick up parts.) So I know that phone call will be made.

I'm typing this on my break just trying to wrap my head around what's happening. I am GOING to be making a life changing decision in the coming months it seems. I just don't know where to go. I'll edit and fill in more info when I have time. I just wanted to get this rolling so I can have unbiased opinions from people that do NOT know me, and have no skin in the game on all 3 fronts.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would be super skeptical about buying the existing business with coworkers. If you did go that route EVERYTHING needs to be laid out in writing and legally enforceable including what would happen if one or multiple partners wants out.

UPS - mega corporate work comes with mega corporate political nonsense. I would want to talk to a couple of techs about what life's actually like.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
I would be super skeptical about buying the existing business with coworkers. If you did go that route EVERYTHING needs to be laid out in writing and legally enforceable including what would happen if one or multiple partners wants out.

UPS - mega corporate work comes with mega corporate political nonsense. I would want to talk to a couple of techs about what life's actually like.
There's sketchy shit in all 3 options if you look at it. None are taken lightly. I don't disagree with the multi owner purchase concerns at all.

Planning on finding the retiring tech and speaking with them.
Move to KC. I'll hire you.

No one wants to live in Iowa anyways.

EDIT: I'm dead ****ing serious on both statements.
I love iowa. Just got back from Texas, and that was an eye opener too...

sleek98

Established Member
If your not really into the business side, I would rate buying the business as the last option. It will be a huge pain if your doing it alone, and 3x the pain doing it with someone else.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
It’s good to have options and you obviously picked a good career.

If it were me I’d choose the one that made me the happiest. Not necessarily the most money but the one I enjoyed working at the longest.

Which one that is is up to you to decide. What makes me happy at a workplace might not be what you would want.

Just to throw it out there would you consider opening your own shop?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
There's sketchy shit in all 3 options if you look at it. None are taken lightly. I don't disagree with the multi owner purchase concerns at all.
ya but that one you've put yourself and your assets on the line. The others you can walk away from at anytime
Don't buy a business with other people, especially family. Just don't.
fixed that for you

unless they're ****ing experts in the field I'd extra avoid that like the plague

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Agree with the above. Now is the time if you have any business sense, to go out on your own. I know two different guys that started doing mobile repair in their 20's and now have big shops with employees making bank.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I've heard of being stuck between a rock and a hard place, but never two rocks and a hard place. You are breaking new ground here.

All I can say is that I would seriously consider the place that has the best benefits.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya do not under any circumstances go into business with family.

It's pretty cool that your trade/experience is very valuable and will continue to be for years down the road.

Much like an Airframe and Powerplant licence technician, there will always be wrenches to be turned, or in my case, classes to teach and powerpoint slides to flip through. Good luck!

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The hardest thing you could do is start your own shop. The risk is high, but if it works out the reward will be high as well.

If you don't want to do that go work for @13COBRA. I'm sure he'll match UPS's $45 per hour.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
NO PARTNERSHIPS, if you could buy your current business on your own, I would say go! But if you did, you then would be running a business, and you would be wrenching a LOT less, if at all (maybe that is good, maybe bad).

Morgan

Established Member
@specracer
@1Kona_Venom
@Blown 89
@DSG2003Mach1
@Weather Man

Why are all of you against the partner/ownership option? Presuming this advice is based on personal experience, perhaps you can share.

He’s relatively young and his goals will change with time. He will not be able to wrench forever and enjoy retirement as an able bodied person.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
There are a BUNCH of Millionaire UPS workers...after 15-20 years.

Logistics and package delivery is NOT going away..and UPS is the BEST at it.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
@specracer
@1Kona_Venom
@Blown 89
@DSG2003Mach1
@Weather Man

Why are all of you against the partner/ownership option? Presuming this advice is based on personal experience, perhaps you can share.

He’s relatively young and his goals will change with time. He will not be able to wrench forever and enjoy retirement as an able bodied person.
Why shouldn't they? A differing opinion, personal finance issues, and or other personal issues from one partner could cause issues for all involved. They have every right to bring this up.

I do appreciate everyone's responses, personal messages, and suggestions.

As for not wanting to start my own, you can throw a rock on a localized map and hit within 10 miles of a "self owned" diesel shop. Fairly saturated market. Is success possible? Likely. My other issue is, I have never done side diesel work. I never thought it was necessary to take money from one pocket, and put it in another. Why compete with the business that I work at? In hindsight it has kind of bitten me in the ass for not being known to the public, but only to local shops and those in the local car community.

Thankfully I DON'T have to make a decision today. I just needed some outside opinions.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
IMHO:
1) You’re not stuck anywhere, are you?
2) Don’t go into business with coworkers, it’s a recipe for disaster.
3) Don’t go in business for yourself just yet. Learn more about business.
4) Don’t rush into a decision.
5) I have a relative who’s about the same age, with a similar skill set. He got a job with the local school district as a Tech. But he does more than just wrench. He wrenches on buses, cars, trucks, mowers, snow removal equipment. Travels all over the small town doing stuff for the school district. He’s doing fantastic. Pretty good pay, great benefits.
So you may want to consider a school district, city maintenance job, university work, etc.
6) At some point, it’s extremely healthy for you to work for different businesses. Working for the same company for your whole life is a mistake.
7) Iowa is a beautiful state with wonderful people. People in Iowa have produced some of America’s greatest products.

Questions:
1) You don’t have to take any of these options right now, do you?
2) Are you married? Children? Mortgage? School payments? Car payments?
3) Where do you wanna be in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Etc.
4) What do you enjoy doing in your spare time (hobby/hobbies)?
5) When do you want to retire?
6) How’s your body holding up? Will it be good in 30 years?

Users who are viewing this thread