In Car Video from open track day with my 03 Cobra

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
TTA89 said:
I'm not sure what the suspension set was, I walked by it the previous day and saw the blower under the hood. That was the only time I saw him on track all weekend. There was only about 40 cars, we didn't even have run groups. Track was just open all day, come and go as you want. :beer:

That track is tough, there are lots of things in the video I see to correct for next time. Not tracking out in 3, early turn in for 4, my line sucks through 5B, I can carry more speed in 8 and 9.

Bla Bla Bla :D

Yes that was on the Avons, I was going to switch back to V710s but got lazy. I'm going to Mont Tremblant in August and I'll have a lap timer by then. I'll swap tires around and see what the difference is, I know the 710s have more grip but for just out messing around the Avons are great! Still way better than any street tire and they wear like Iron, I wish I could buy another set.

Well you can't have my set of Avons... Now that you are all open track minded, I'm going to take full advantage at the Devens Autox on Saturday....better bring your A game, turkey!

Nice Vids.

racebronco2

Established Member
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: can't wait to get my car back on the road(spun a rod bearing). were you running the 3.1/4lb combo. any heat issues.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
factory five cars are slugs, jimmy

for a really good lap timer try the xt racing ultra-lap. its better than the longacre hot lap.

for a camera mount i use the ioport racing one clamped to my harness bar. the headrest ones arent nearly as stable because the seat flops back and forth a certain amount. i also have a suction cup mount from filmtools.com but i havent tried it out yet. need to build a plate mount with a plexiglass shield for the camera first.

two of my current videos are in the video section of modular fords.

how hot was your car running, tta89? do you have an aftermarket gauge?

i could watch people's in car cam footage for hours and hours.

TTA89

Established Member
I know there are better systems than the Hotlap but thats what everyone in the club is using and there is always a transmiter setup so I don't have to buy one.

I was using the ioport mount attached to the harness bar as well, using a Cannon ZX200 I think it was. I'm going to buy the same thing, the high res version I have is 16x9 and looks awesome.

Luckily the temps were mid 60s both days so I didn't have any heat issues. I had a couple of 45-60min sessions, I do have a temp gauge but alas I have been too lazy to crawl under and connect it. I'm sorta waiting to do the clutch and cooling mod and plug it in at the same time.

I know you run in some pretty hot temps, I signed up for 1 day at NHIS July 3rd and I'm doing 2 days at Mont Tremblant in Canada in mid August. I'm preying for cool days, I wasn't planning to do any July/August days but alas I got sucked in. ;)

Where are the videos? I checked the other site but couldn't find anything.

TTA89

Established Member
TroyV said:
Well you can't have my set of Avons... Now that you are all open track minded, I'm going to take full advantage at the Devens Autox on Saturday....better bring your A game, turkey!

Nice Vids.

At least I have an excuse. "My struts are blown" :) Gonna ship those spares out next week for a rebuild...

So do I step up the spring rates or leave it alone? The car is so neutral I hate to screw with it.

RJCobra

Established Member
TTA89 said:
I know there are better systems than the Hotlap but thats what everyone in the club is using and there is always a transmiter setup so I don't have to buy one.

I was using the ioport mount attached to the harness bar as well, using a Cannon ZX200 I think it was. I'm going to buy the same thing, the high res version I have is 16x9 and looks awesome.

Luckily the temps were mid 60s both days so I didn't have any heat issues. I had a couple of 45-60min sessions, I do have a temp gauge but alas I have been too lazy to crawl under and connect it. I'm sorta waiting to do the clutch and cooling mod and plug it in at the same time.

I know you run in some pretty hot temps, I signed up for 1 day at NHIS July 3rd and I'm doing 2 days at Mont Tremblant in Canada in mid August. I'm preying for cool days, I wasn't planning to do any July/August days but alas I got sucked in. ;)

Where are the videos? I checked the other site but couldn't find anything.

Wow 45-60 min sessions. That makes me feel a little better about my setup. But I wouldn't dare try going that long down here in Florida.

TTA89

Established Member
It depends on the outside temps, I wouldn't try that if it were 90s+ like what some of you guys run in. Mid 60s I could have stayed out there as long as I wanted, I kept having to come in for gas. :eek: Getting 3 laps per gallons sucks! :cuss:

Having an open track rules, you go out and stay out as long as you want. Since everyone was signed off at Mosport we were all allowed to go play together all day long.

When I go to Tremblant in August it will probably be the same format but if its warm out I'm affriad I'll find the cooling system limit. I always bring a stock upper with me just in case, but thats like taking 100hp out of the car. :nono:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
factory five cars are slugs, jimmy.

I was wondering about that... there were two in my run group, that started just behind me at MSR Houston. and I'm stock on a 220 street tire... But neither ever caught up to me and I thought that was odd.
One guy had quite a bit a track time too(we talked a while while I tech-ed his car)

ShelbyGuy said:
i could watch people's in car cam footage for hours and hours.

Tell me about it!!! :rockon: I really want to get a nice set up like you guys have... so I can re-live those moments too!!! :rockon:

Great vids TTA89!!!
Keep them coming!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
TTA89 said:
At least I have an excuse. "My struts are blown" :) Gonna ship those spares out next week for a rebuild...

So do I step up the spring rates or leave it alone? The car is so neutral I hate to screw with it.

You could try 400-425 in front and 600's in back, but why bother really? The springs are cheap, but you all ready are rolling over just about everyone out there. If the car feels fine, just leave it alone. If you do get 600's I'll take the 550's.. :)

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
Sweeet! No walls at Putnam huh? Thats nice to really test the limits with nothing to hit. The tracks look really flat, but I guess thats the midwest.

Do you ever get to any of the tracks on the east coast?

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
that stuffs the sheeit! ive been telling myself for years that ive gotta get out there and jsut do it. everythime i see vids like that i get all fired up.
good driving guys! :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
most of the tracks around here are pretty good about having nothing to hit. the exceptions are blackhawk farms and road america.

i've only visited lime rock as a spectator, not as a participant. i've not participated on any event farther east than michigan. was supposed to hit v.i.r. and the glen this year but circumstances are not working out in my favor. real life getting in the way of track fun :(

on edit: ive also been to daytona for the 24 and sebring for the 12 hour race.

TTA89 said:
Sweeet! No walls at Putnam huh? Thats nice to really test the limits with nothing to hit. The tracks look really flat, but I guess thats the midwest.

Do you ever get to any of the tracks on the east coast?

Last edited:

04Venom

Established Member
TTA89 said:
Went up to Canada to Mosport to play last Monday and Tuesday, a friend of mine setup his video camera in my car for a few laps. You don't get a sense of speed from the video but trust me, the majority of the track is over 90mph.

I put 270 miles on the car in 2 days up there. There were a few times I was daring enough to hold it out on the back straight and saw over 150mph then into turn 8 at over 100mph. Talk about fun! This is a very intimadating track, I saw 4 cars come off the track on flatbeds and they looked Totalled. Gotta be carefull!

I need to buy a video camera, this is really cool being able to watch and see how sloppy and slow I am in some areas. LOL

P.S. Yes I mis-spelled the title, It was late and I didn't feel like fixing it.

http://media.putfile.com/Mosport-with-my-03-Cobra

I wish I could drive like that!

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
See, now THAT is what Gran Turismo 4 is missing!!!! :bash: Those vids are all a blast to watch, makes me wanna get to one of these tracks and test my skillz. That looks like so much fun. :beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
When addressing turns, what is the proper way? I've heard it discussed two ways.....

1. Downshift when approaching turn so that you are in the proper range when exiting.

2. Use brakes while coming up on turn, downshift to proper gear, turn in.

It seems the second way is the better way. Is it? Are you guys heel-toe shifting? I tried that before and I just couldn't do it.

Any other advice for track racing? I'd love to get out there one day and do it!

Users who are viewing this thread