In Car Video from open track day with my 03 Cobra

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jimmysidecarr said:
FREAKING AWESOME!!! :rockon:

I was beginning to wonder if they had taken the mirrors out of that FFR Cobra for weight savings...lol :rollseyes

Was he running a live axle set up??? It appeared he really didn't have much for you in the corners... looked kinda bouncy...

Your car is really representing the Terminators well!!! Nice driving too!!! I only saw one slip up(early appex)... and that looked like it was traffic induced... :shrug:

Hopefully more of our guys will see how gratifying this hobby is!!! :rockon:

That "TRACK PIPE" IS FREAKING ADDICTING FOR SURE!!! :poke: :rockon:

GREAT VIDS!!! Thanks for sharing them!!!
BTW... Were you on the Avons??? or what???
Jimmy, when I started looking at the posts in this thread I thought, "now where is Jimmy?", LOL! I knew this one would get your attention! ;-)

Both are cool videos and looks like the event was a blast! And ditto on the comment about "good tires". They can mean a world of difference!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Nice Vid and Nice car. I would like to see some of these import guys talk now about the handling on these cars. You weren't even driving it that hard and still easily passing people.

Couple of questions.

I saw you have the brembo calipers from the Cobra R kit. Can you buy just the calipers and use the stock rotors?

One note on the temp gauge. Why not just use the built-in diagnostic mode and get the digital read out of the temp. Is this not accurate enough? Just wondering.

TTA89

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
When addressing turns, what is the proper way? I've heard it discussed two ways.....

1. Downshift when approaching turn so that you are in the proper range when exiting.

2. Use brakes while coming up on turn, downshift to proper gear, turn in.

It seems the second way is the better way. Is it? Are you guys heel-toe shifting? I tried that before and I just couldn't do it.

Any other advice for track racing? I'd love to get out there one day and do it!

I try to get all my braking done in a straight line and downshift at the same time, you're suppose to rev match the engine so it doesn't disrupt the car and possibly spin you around but its impossible for me to hit the brakes, hit the gas and push in the clutch at the same time. My car doesn't get upset if I just downshft and let the clutch out fast, although you aren't supposed to do that.

Everything is supposed to be smooth, you don't want any quick jerks of the wheel, gas, or brake... Coming from an Auto X background where its more violent jerks of the wheel and application of brake and gas it can be hard to break those habits. I'm still learning, the car is way faster than I dare to drive it. I also don't want to run it on the edge and put it into the wall, I'm having plenty of fun messing around keeping it within my limits.

I'd say if you want to try this don't worry about what you have done to your car or what you think you need. Check your ego at the door as you will get passed by slower cars with better drivers, take the car out as it is and you'll go with an instructor and start slow. As you start building seat time and experience you will start to go faster.

You'll be amazed at how much faster lighter cars with less power can pull you in the corners because they can carry so much more speed. I was filiming my buddys 90 E30 M3 BMW, its a 2600lb car with about 220hp on V710 race tires. I'll post the video, we had a lot of fun running together. I would destroy him on the back straight, I mean put like a 1/4 mile on him but he is able to carry so much more speed around the corners he is able to catch me on the other side of the track, then I put another 1/4 mile on him and we keep playing.

Watch closely how well his car turns, its like he is on one of those platforms that picks up the car, changes direction and puts it back down. I rode around for about 45 min him, the car is simply scary to be in. He also broke his classes track record by 5 seconds last Tuesday, he is a great driver. I passed him and tried to run away but it wasn't happening, he was right on me and I had to let him by. :rockon:

I try to get all my braking done in a straight line and downshift at the same time, you're suppose to rev match the engine so it doesn't disrupt the car and possibly spin you around but its impossible for me to hit the brakes, hit the gas and push in the clutch at the same time. My car doesn't get upset if I just downshft and let the clutch out fast, although you aren't supposed to do that.

Everything is supposed to be smooth, you don't want any quick jerks of the wheel, gas, or brake... Coming from an Auto X background where its more violent jerks of the wheel and application of brake and gas it can be hard to break those habits. I'm still learning, the car is way faster than I dare to drive it. I also don't want to run it on the edge and put it into the wall, I'm having plenty of fun messing around keeping it within my limits.

I'd say if you want to try this don't worry about what you have done to your car or what you think you need. Check your ego at the door as you will get passed by slower cars with better drivers, take the car out as it is and you'll go with an instructor and start slow. As you start building seat time and experience you will start to go faster.

You'll be amazed at how much faster lighter cars with less power can pull you in the corners because they can carry so much more speed. I was filiming my buddys 90 E30 M3 BMW, its a 2600lb car with about 220hp on V710 race tires. I'll post the video, we had a lot of fun running together. I would destroy him on the back straight, I mean put like a 1/4 mile on him but he is able to carry so much more speed around the corners he is able to catch me on the other side of the track, then I put another 1/4 mile on him and we keep playing.

Watch closely how well his car turns, its like he is on one of those platforms that picks up the car, changes direction and puts it back down. I rode around for about 45 min him, the car is simply scary to be in. He also broke his classes track record by 5 seconds last Tuesday, he is a great driver. I passed him and tried to run away but it wasn't happening, he was right on me and I had to let him by. :rockon:

Can't find the video I wanted but this one is cool too, this was taken the same day as the others. The yellow car ended up hitting the wall shortly after this was shot, driver walked away. Car was... not so lucky.

http://media.putfile.com/Chasing-Micks-M3

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
speeddemon2000 said:
I saw you have the brembo calipers from the Cobra R kit. Can you buy just the calipers and use the stock rotors?

One note on the temp gauge. Why not just use the built-in diagnostic mode and get the digital read out of the temp. Is this not accurate enough? Just wondering.

I have read that you can but I don't know the details, I bought the kit with the rotors, you will eventually need rotors so why not just buy the kit? Comes with the lines too (the stock ones won't work). Its on the board here somewhere, called the Focus RS kit or something? I'm not sure.

As for the temp gauge, I suppose you could use the digital read out but its tough to look down and read numbers when your out there. With a gauge its easy to glance down and see that the needle is "in the middle" with a gauge vs trying to read numbers below the speedo.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
indeed nothing screws up a person's driving quite like autocrossing.

I never realized how true that statement was until I started doing both open track and autox.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
indeed nothing screws up a person's driving quite like autocrossing.

TroyV said:
I never realized how true that statement was until I started doing both open track and autox.

I found that being abrupt usually worked quite well in Autocross... but it was disasterous while Ice Racing!!! :eek:

I feel I was fortunate to have put in a good 5 years on the Upstate New York ICE circuit.. :thumbsup:

I think it was good for my driving...

BTW--->Great vids!!!

Thanks for sharing those!!! Simply awesome!

Here's an interesting ride in a Subbie on a frozen lake(in between races)... about 14 minutes worth kinda long
Ice racing is FUN click here!!!

This one is ESPN Ice Racing coverage that someone taped and hosted themselves so this is A RIGHT CLICK AN SAVE AS ONLY DEAL!!! so we don't crash the guy's server... this one is much shorter but pro quality--->ESPN!!!

Right click and save as.... ONLY!!!

Yea... I still miss it :(

TTA89

Established Member
Ice racing looks like a lot of fun, I'd love to try it someday. The idea of trailering a car out onto the ice kinda scares me though. :)

Although I've been dumb enough to ride out in a plow truck and clear an area on a lake to play hockey. So I dunno. :p

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
TTA89 said:
Ice racing looks like a lot of fun, I'd love to try it someday. The idea of trailering a car out onto the ice kinda scares me though. :)

Although I've been dumb enough to ride out in a plow truck and clear an area on a lake to play hockey. So I dunno. :p

Yea I used to run a 78 Ford Fiesta... If we didn't dump our plow trucks through... then my 1600 pound Fiesta was pretty safe.

If we didn't have at least 13 inches we didn't run...
Light weight high powered(relative to the weight :rollseyes ) front drivers ruled the day... Back then all the all wheel drives were either too slow... or too expensive.
the Audi,Talon, and Eclpise were too new and expensive to take out and "trade paint" with...

Users who are viewing this thread