Installed 2.75 upper.....ouch!!!

CobraSS

Established Member
Well I have a 2.80 non-slip pulley on order, but it seems to be lost in the mail somewhere :mj: But that is another matter.

So my friend happens to have a 2.75 pulley sitting around. He stops by today and ask me if I want to try it out. I say what the hell, lets do it. We swap it out and I install the Predator pulley tune. We gap my NGK TR6 at 0.35 and go for a drive. PING CITY!!! So we add all the fuel the predator can add and drive it again. Ping city again. Then we retard the timing to the max the Predator will do and it only pinged under 4,000 rpm. Needless to say I let off immediately every time I heard the detination and now my car is sitting with the stock pulley back on it and performance tune.

As I said earlier I have a 2.80 pulley in the mail. Is there that much of a difference or am I probably going to have the same problem when I put the 2.80 on?

Adding fuel with the Predator is to the left, correct? I ask because it says -%, which seems backwards to me, but I was told that is the proper way.

Here are my only mods. 10" power stack filter, spin tech mufflers (bolted in - not cat back). I had the 100mm aux. pulley on at the time also. And of course the Predator.

I will say this much when we got rid of the detination up top, it was a monster. The F1s were worthless! Anyhow, this is kinda a "this is what happened to me" message. Add advice if you want, or just take it for what it was.
Later

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen this issue a couple of times in the past week or so. Ditto to the custom tune.

lethal

Established Member
I'd say that there is probably a good 1-2 lb difference on the 2.75 vs the 2.8. Once you do get the pulley, PLEASE go to the dyno. Your car is worth it =)

For peace of mind, etc. Call the dealer who got you the Predator, and make arrangements to send in your dyno sheets before you go, he can also tell you how to use it if you need help.

John

CobraSS

Established Member
I plan on getting the car dyno tuned from RWTD in Mobile, Florida, but I also figured I would be able to get it in the ballpark to drive it until I make it down there for the custom dyno tune. I am just hoping there is a huge difference between the 2.75 and the 2.80, because if there isn't then I can't drive it with the 2.80 on it. I e-mailed RWTD and will see what he can do over email or what advice he offers. I know one thing for sure just that small taste of extra boost and I am dieing to get it on my car. It was insane!!! NEVER ENOUGH!!! Thanks for the inputs.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Hmm, well I have crappy CA gas and I richened up the Predator fuel curve 8% and backed off all the timing. I have full exhaust, 12" K&N, 2.80 w/Idler, and Autolite 103 plugs @ .035. No ping under any conditions at all! I did get some mild pinging at the default settings, but it just needed a touch more fuel and less timing. I have a custom dyno tune set up for the 14th of Feb so we will see how she does with the 50 shot :).

CobraSS

Established Member
Juiced-03,
Oh sure you'll respond to this message :) Why don't you answer my ZEX nitrous questions?

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
Well, LIke all the others said, You will be ok after a cusom tune. I had the SAME exact problem. I had detonation with the 2.75RR and predator pulley tune. Custum dyno tune fixed it all :)

I then added the idler and am dyno'ing again within a week or so just to make sure my a/f is still safe.

Good luck. And Do NOT get on it and stay out of boost as much as possible till you get it resolved. I am told if you can hear detonation that means it was bad way before you heard it. So, just because you are lighter on the pedal and don't hear it, doesn't mean that bad things could be happening.

03DOHC

Established Member
Isn't the generic predator pulley tune for a 2.93 pulley?

lethal- is there that much of a difference between the 2.75 and the 2.8? I thought it'd be more like 1/2. Cool if it is. :)

2K3BRA

Established Member
Predator is teh garbage. Let the blown motors come rolling in... I will post in every predator post. Call me the predator nazi. Custom dyno tune all the way!

cobra101

Established Member
Yes, I believe the predator was designed for the 2.93 and better gas (probably 93 octane) than what I have here in CA . I think the pulley tune, at least, was made for a cat-back too. I am guessing they assum,e those with pullies probably have cat-backs too.

I tried it with the 2.75 before a custom tune becuase I do NOT have any exhaust mods and thought it would make it a little more compatible. I was wrong, I had to get a custom dyno tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread