installed my avic-f90bt

20psirabbit

Established Member
nice! make sure it's got v2.0 firmware on it. if not update it asap, the older firmware revision causes SUPER slow boot times :(

20psirabbit

Established Member
Where does the navigation antenna go? Does it have to be mounted on the outside of the car on the roof or trunk?

i snaked mine up above the center hvac vents in the dash. it's magnetic and i just fiddled around with it till it found something to stick to. i haven't had any problems with nav reception at all, so i'm good with it, makes for a simpler install with less crap on the outside of my car :rockon:

Tmac01baller

Established Member
Hey 20psirabbit im going to be buying one of these but im not sure what all i would need in order to make it fit/work in my 03 cobra. Could you tell me all the parts I would need for a smooth install.

Im glad to hear you like it because there are a lot of negative reviews for this unit, but the 2.0 update seems to have fixed pretty much everything.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
i snaked mine up above the center hvac vents in the dash. it's magnetic and i just fiddled around with it till it found something to stick to. i haven't had any problems with nav reception at all, so i'm good with it, makes for a simpler install with less crap on the outside of my car :rockon:

Mine won't be here till Monday :nonono:

So the Nav Antenna picks up through the dash? I was planning on mounting it on the rear package tray, but would love to avoid running a cable all the way back there.

deckhouse

Established Member
I am subscribing to this!! I want it for the spring and would love to know what harness is used from best buy as well!!! Awesome looking deck!!!!

20psirabbit

Established Member
Hey 20psirabbit im going to be buying one of these but im not sure what all i would need in order to make it fit/work in my 03 cobra. Could you tell me all the parts I would need for a smooth install.

Im glad to hear you like it because there are a lot of negative reviews for this unit, but the 2.0 update seems to have fixed pretty much everything.

yeah i posted around on avic411 before i bought it, and the general consensus was that before 2.0 it wasn't worth it, after 2.0 people said yes it's worth it now, and i have zero troubles so i love it :rolling:
basically you're just going to need the dash trim kit, and the correct metra wiring harness will make it a plug and play operation. my local best buy had it in stock, it cost like $21 dollars. just make sure you tell them you have the amplified mach 460 system in the car so you get the right parts. the guys in my best buy stereo dept. knew exactly what i needed so it was pretty straightforward. a little bit of soldering and the bypass performed and it was running :rockon:

Mine won't be here till Monday :nonono:

So the Nav Antenna picks up through the dash? I was planning on mounting it on the rear package tray, but would love to avoid running a cable all the way back there.

before i did it, i did some reading online and lots of people were leaving the nav antenna under the dash and said it worked really well for them. i haven't had any problems with it functioning yet. i drove out to R.E.T. a couple weeks ago, then out to Sir Riccus' house using the nav the whole way and it never gave me any grief. worst case you could try it since you're already gonna have the dash open for the deck install, if it doesn't work then move it.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
before i did it, i did some reading online and lots of people were leaving the nav antenna under the dash and said it worked really well for them. i haven't had any problems with it functioning yet. i drove out to R.E.T. a couple weeks ago, then out to Sir Riccus' house using the nav the whole way and it never gave me any grief. worst case you could try it since you're already gonna have the dash open for the deck install, if it doesn't work then move it.

Hey Muffin,

How was the install with tapping into the Lighting, Reverse, Speed Sensor, and Parking Brake connections? AKA where did you tap into those?

I did my F90BT on the S197, and it was a breeze because all that stuff picks up from the factory harness. I'm guessing the 03 will be much more of a pain. :cuss:

20psirabbit

Established Member
Hey Muffin,

How was the install with tapping into the Lighting, Reverse, Speed Sensor, and Parking Brake connections? AKA where did you tap into those?

I did my F90BT on the S197, and it was a breeze because all that stuff picks up from the factory harness. I'm guessing the 03 will be much more of a pain. :cuss:

the lighting was already included in the factory harness, i didn't have to go elsewhere for it. the reverse and speed sensor i didn't tap into, i don't have a backup camera (i may install one in the future) and the guys on avic411 were saying the speed sensor connection was only necessary if you'll be in long tunnels or places where the gps antenna will not have signal for periods of time. i didn't bother and i haven't really felt the need to do it yet.
the parking brake connection- i didn't tap into that because i was bypassing the unit anyway, so i did the wiring bypass at the unit which negated the need to connect the parking brake.

did you get yours in yet?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
the lighting was already included in the factory harness, i didn't have to go elsewhere for it. the reverse and speed sensor i didn't tap into, i don't have a backup camera (i may install one in the future) and the guys on avic411 were saying the speed sensor connection was only necessary if you'll be in long tunnels or places where the gps antenna will not have signal for periods of time. i didn't bother and i haven't really felt the need to do it yet.
the parking brake connection- i didn't tap into that because i was bypassing the unit anyway, so i did the wiring bypass at the unit which negated the need to connect the parking brake.

did you get yours in yet?

Sounds easy enough. I only made all those connections because they were in the Factory Harness, so I figured why not.

I did the bypass as well.

One down, one to go:

installed3.jpg

Still need an Ipod however :lol:

20psirabbit

Established Member
looks nice! the more i use this deck, the more i love the bluetooth function, i have people call me all the time in my cobra and they always hear me fine, even with the exhaust and road noise it works great. also love the ipod function of being able to control it from the deck, not having to carry CDs, i'm glad i spent the coin and got rid of the factory deck.
next it's time to start changing the amps and speakers :)

Users who are viewing this thread