Installing factory harmonic balancer

hitmix300

Established Member
I use a big socket (1 that is the same diameter as center section) and bfh once it's on far enough for the factory bolt i draw it on the rest of the way with my impact

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Makes sense. I'm not down for buying a $14 "specialty bolt" that looks like a normal damn bolt. Might get a section of all thread and make a tool.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Yea no hammer for me but $15 for a normal damn bolt and $7 for shipping is completely stupid! Off to lowes tomorrow to get a $1.50 bolt. Or gonna free rent the install tool.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Do what I did and ask the Ford dealer to borrow the tool. So much easier than trying to make something work.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
So I got impatient and sat my butane torch on the high aiming at the balancer for about 5 mins. Basically slit on with a tiny tap with a hammer (seriously a tiny helper tap). It was 50 degrees in the garage so I thought this method would work like with a pinion bearing. Success.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Glad you were able to get it on, the problem with using heat however is that it can damage the rubber elastomer in the balancer, it can also burn the rubber seal in the timing cover when it slides through it - certainly not our recommendation but that doesnt mean that it didnt work for you!

Users who are viewing this thread