installing used x pipe.

MIKEC501

Established Member
what all is needed when installing a used x pipe on a 04? just in case something is missing. is their gaskets for both sides? and do I need o2 extentions? or mil ? thanks.

Fuerza

Established Member
One gasket, and yes 04 cars need extensions. Use lots a PB on the bolts connected to the exhaust manifolds before attempting to pull them off.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
(Use lots a PB on the bolts connected to the exhaust manifolds before attempting to pull them off.)
+1 on that or you will be at the dealer getting new studs,ask me how I know.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Take it to a muffler shop. Should cost about $60 and take about 45 minutes to install. It is well worth the $60

ynotsvt

SVT
Established Member
MIKEC501 said:
what side needs a gasket? and where is the best place to get one ford? or any parts store? thanks.
Passenger side, and the OEM gasket would be the best one to get. But my buddy used a bunch of high temp RTV on his GT if you wanna try that route.

MIKEC501

Established Member
wheelhopper said:
Take it to a muffler shop. Should cost about $60 and take about 45 minutes to install. It is well worth the $60

I was thinking about doing that but I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. thanks

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
Factory gasket, make sure you use some antiseize on the O2's, I had to buy a new one cause it was like welded on.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Installing an X-pipe is easy enough to do. However, unless you can get the car high enough off the ground you won't have a lot of working room. I had a local shop do mine for that reason. I paid around $50. Well worth it because I didn't bleed! However, when I swapped the Magnaflow catback for a Steeda catback I took the car to a friend's garage. He had a lift. A piece of cake when you have the right equipment. LOL!

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Installing an X-pipe is easy enough to do. However, unless you can get the car high enough off the ground you won't have a lot of working room. I had a local shop do mine for that reason. I paid around $50. Well worth it because I didn't bleed! However, when I swapped the Magnaflow catback for a Steeda catback I took the car to a friend's garage. He had a lift. A piece of cake when you have the right equipment. LOL!

I hear you there bud.... i had changed my xpipe with 4 jack stands and with about 2 ft of workspace underneath the car... let me tell u it wasnt fun...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I put my off road H back on this afternoon for the track next Sunday. Little bit of a pain until you've done it a couple of times. Need some deep sockets and long extensions and a swivel socket can come in handy as well.

ynotsvt

SVT
Established Member
I had to buy an longer extension and 2 swivels when I did mine, (the first one broke), that lower bolt on the pass. side just flat out pisses me off:bash:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
its easy to do. but like everyone else says you need the right tools 1st.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IronTerp said:
I put my off road H back on this afternoon for the track next Sunday. Little bit of a pain until you've done it a couple of times. Need some deep sockets and long extensions and a swivel socket can come in handy as well.
Doing it a couple of times previously does definitely help in getting it done a bit faster and easier than doing it the first time. Dwight, did you use jack stands?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah Bob, jack stands all over the place! I'm getting too old to have a 3,600 lb car fall on me! Really nice having the sub frame connectors for these type jobs.

MIKEC501

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
If your rear O2 are shut off I wouldnt think you'll need exts.

it hasnt been tuned or anything yet so they are not turned off. if the check engine light comes on will it be ok to drive like that until I get a tune ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IronTerp said:
Yeah Bob, jack stands all over the place! I'm getting too old to have a 3,600 lb car fall on me! Really nice having the sub frame connectors for these type jobs.
I expected you'd be careful to use them. I remember once when I was a kid I had my first car up on a scissor jack at the rear. Don't tell me it was stupid, that is a given! LOL! Anyway, I had the rear tire off and my head was literally directly under the rear drum. "Something/somebody" alerted me to roll out from under the car. An instant later the jack slipped and down came the car. The drum dug a deep crater in the ground. That could easily have been my head. A valuable, never to be forgotten, lesson was learned that day. :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread