Insurance Questions

akeohan

Established Member
I know there are other threads but they don't specifically answer my questions so bear with me.
I currently have Allstate and its costing me around $589 per year so there’s definitely savings to be had elsewhere. I’ve quoted with Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, and Heacock so far and Grundy comes in the cheapest with Heacock just above at $40 more. My question is, who has Grundy or Heacock and how do they like them? The other question is every insurance company has no racing coverage (understandable) but what I want to know and what I didn’t ask was what happens if your “racing” (driving faster than the speed limit) and lose control and crash? IE, I drive up and around the mountains sometimes because lateral g’s are fun. I know Allstate would cover and either fix the car and drop me or fix the car and jack my rates. What would happen with Grundy and Heacock? I still want to have fun!
Thanks for the input.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I don't think $589 is that bad. I've never heard of those other insurance companies so I can't comment but you want to be careful you don't skimp on your coverage. You could always take defensive driving too and that will knock off a bit more.

Posted via Topify on Android

Zemedici

Established Member
I know there are other threads but they don't specifically answer my questions so bear with me.
I currently have Allstate and its costing me around $589 per year so there’s definitely savings to be had elsewhere. I’ve quoted with Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, and Heacock so far and Grundy comes in the cheapest with Heacock just above at $40 more. My question is, who has Grundy or Heacock and how do they like them? The other question is every insurance company has no racing coverage (understandable) but what I want to know and what I didn’t ask was what happens if your “racing” (driving faster than the speed limit) and lose control and crash? IE, I drive up and around the mountains sometimes because lateral g’s are fun. I know Allstate would cover and either fix the car and drop me or fix the car and jack my rates. What would happen with Grundy and Heacock? I still want to have fun!
Thanks for the input.

insurance is insurance. And unless they can prove (which they normally wont even bother to try and do) that you were racing, then they'll just fix the bill. However, with those collector car companies, you get limited on the miles you put on the car per year (I believe 10k or so a year limit) otherwise they wont cover you.

The only time your insurance WONT cover you in the case of an accident is if you were eluding police or it happened on a racetrack (ie roadcourse or drag strip)

589 a year is not bad, I pay 1400.

gotbitten

Established Member
I have my 67 camaro insured through Grundy and they were a pleasure to deal with. My dad hit it with a four wheeler. I took it to my body shop got an estimate and had a check within a week.

va boy

Established Member
I have Grundy on the Cobra, as well as two other older cars. I've been with Grundy for about 2 years with zero complaints. I was with Hagerty prior to them and made the switch because Grundy did not limit me with my mileage. With Grundy, as well as most collector car insurance companies, said vehicle must be in an enclosed, locked garage/building. If you have a wreckless driving ticket or were to get one, they would likely have issue with it, and potentially drop you. They obviously cater to a particular demographic which is why they are able to offer the lower rates. They are a bit more strict in their selection process, but the savings is more than worth it. Good luck

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
Try and get a hold of someone at Grundy......keep holding.....keep holding. It's not going to happen. They are a joke. I didn't go with them in the event something were to happen, who the hell would answer my call? I had Hagerty but their rates went sky high. I just signed with Heacock. Great customer service, actually people on the other line. I can take my car to dinner etc and be covered unlike Grundy which only covers you to and from shows. $27k agreed value, $350 a year boom

akeohan

Established Member
Grundy was $339 a year and Heacock was $384 a year. Grundy has an unlimited mileage and Heacock was 1K a year which is what I drive more or less. My car sits in the garage and I don't autocross or drag race so I fit into the terms of what they want, per say. I’m just worried that if I slide out of control one of these days and damage the car that a collector type insurance company wouldn’t pay out since I was driving “fast” but a regular insurance company would. I don’t want to leave myself unprotected or worried about driving to the limits if I change. Other pluses with Grundy was 0 deductible, Heacock was also 0 which was nice. Those of you who have a collector insurance, are you driving like a grandma or like you stole it? I don’t rag on the car but I do enjoy windy mountain roads at speeds. I’m not worried about around town accidents.
Thanks for the input guys.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
How are you guys getting these incredible rates? I got an online quote from grundy and it was over 1000. Maybe I need to call them?

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Geez you guys have some cheap insurance. I'm paying $900.00 per year with a perfect record. Getting ready to switch to a collector car insurer and it is still going to cost me $700.00 per year.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I've had Heacock on my old GT500 and now on my current Cobra. GT500 ran me $380/yr for $40k in coverage and the Cobra is $350/yr for $18k coverage. I was confused at the price being so close on both cars despite the big difference in value and they said it was due to the cars age and safety features etc. $0 deductible. I have a perfect driving record. No tickets, no accidents, 31yrs old and married. Car can't be a primary vehicle, no mileage limit, driver's must be atleast 25, garage kept.

Last edited:

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
$150.00 a year with State Farm Collector Car Insurance, no moere then 2k a year, 10 years old, and in a garage.

akeohan

Established Member
$150.00 a year with State Farm Collector Car Insurance, no moere then 2k a year, 10 years old, and in a garage.

How the $hit ar you getting that! I'm going to call State Farm and see what they will quote me!

DAM.

akeohan

Established Member
Got off the phone with State Farm Collector insurace and its like 679 for six months, how the heck did you get such a great price?

big dad

Established Member
Got off the phone with State Farm Collector insurace and its like 679 for six months, how the heck did you get such a great price?

My guess would be that he has other vehicles and his home insured with them. That can make a big difference.

SuperTuff1

Established Member
For me, Grundy has the best prices for insurance, nearly cutting my premium to half what I pay through USAA. While they state on their application under "Coverage is contingent upon compliance with the following conditions" under "Use" and statement number 2., "My vehicle(s) will not be used frequently for regular driving such as driving to and from work or school, shopping, errands, general transportation, or back-up use.", talking to the representative on the phone today confirms that in fact, any of it is a no-go. I'm not risking that because every once in a while I do take the car to work or use it to run an errand.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Grundy, 30k agreed value and 440 a year. I've had zero problems getting a hold of them the times I've called. Grundy doesn't have a mileage limit either.

Users who are viewing this thread