Intake Manifold Porting

warpd

Established Member
I'm about to degree the cams on my engine build and finish buttoning everything up. I'm thinking about getting the stock 01 intake manifold ported. I've been off these forums for years at this point and have lost track of who's doing porting on these intakes nowadays. So who is everyone using?

warpd

Established Member
Won't do much. Reducing runner length is where the gains are.

-Mark

Ok, fair enough. Keep in mind I do ultimately plan on going turbo. That's what the motor is built for. Manley I-beam rods, MMR Manley turbo pistons, ARP hardware throughout. I read the the stock runner length will help spool the turbo. I've got team Z tubular front suspension and just plan on getting it running NA for now to make sure the engine runs well before I start throwing 20+ psi at it.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I put a full length ported intake on my F1A set up. No dyno numbers, but before the intake it would nose over around 6000rpm. I could see it on a dyno. After the intake it pulled to 6500rpm really easy. I figured that out when my shift light went off and I wasn't expecting it.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
FWIW we have seen cars on SVTP support up to 900HP with the stock untouched 99/01 intake, clearly not a restriction with a heavily spooling turbo...

railroad

Established Member
You might be able to find one of the 99 extrude honed ones from the 99 hp fix. Those that added a KB had to take that manifold off and sell or store it.

96gt02

Established Member
DEPENDING ON YOUR GOALS, A SHORT RUNNER COULD BE BENEFIT YOU BECAUSE IT WILL ALLOW YOUR INTAKE TO KEEP M,AKING POWER ALL THE WAY TO REDLINE RATHER THAN FALLING OFF AT 6k. IT MAY NOT NECESSARILY ADD ANY POWER ON A DYNO BUT WILL DEFINITELY HELP WITH MPH AND 1/4 TIMES IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SETUP TO USE THE HIGH END IMPROVEMENT

Brutal Metal

Established Member
So now there's two guys in here saying stock 99-01 intakes are causing the 4V motor to fall flat on it's face at 6K?
WTF are you talking about?

96gt02

Established Member
I have back to back graphs of my car stock intake and ported short runner 10" intake, above 5500 rpm i picked up roughly 30-40 hp between 5500-6700 rpm, basically instead of losing power over 5500ish the car just flat lined and held peak power throughout the whole rpm band with the psri

96gt02

Established Member
i made peak power with an untouched intake & tb at 6100 and it held to 6500 which is my shift point.

dyno graph? What other mods?

HERE IS JUST A QUICK EXAMPLE I FOUND IN TWO SECONDS
http://www.performance-dyno.com/Cars/mach1.html
NOTICE AFTER 6K, BETWEEN 6K-6.5k THE CAR IS DOWN A GOOD 30 HP
IF YOU JUST GOOGLE MACH 1 DYNO THERE IS TONS THAT HAVE THE EXACT SAME CURVE ON STOCK OR BOLT ON MACH'S

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member

IF YOU JUST GOOGLE MACH 1 DYNO THERE IS TONS THAT HAVE THE EXACT SAME CURVE ON STOCK OR BOLT ON MACH'S

Don't forget Mach 1's have different intake cams than 99/01 Cobras. That'll change the rpm range.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Oh yeah i should have mentioned i have a mach 1, so thats an excellent point because if the cobras really dont have this issue then the intake cams are to blame for the lack of high end in the machs because the intake manifold is the same, however on a mach, the psri fixes what the cams lack is my point.

Last edited:

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
So now there's two guys in here saying stock 99-01 intakes are causing the 4V motor to fall flat on it's face at 6K?
WTF are you talking about?

The long runners of the stock intake limit power over 6k. It's pretty much impossible to get an n/a 4v to peak any higher than 6300 with the stock intake. Porting it will increase power, but it will still peak around 6300.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

I mentioned before the stock 99/01 intake has supported 900 with forced induction, that's what all my answers previous have referred to, NA will be different. Lots of guys that go turbo in their Terminators will bolt on a stock 99-01 intake if they don't go the Sullivan route. You don't see them going with PSR's for boost.
My mods are Stock heads, intake and cams, 14 lbs of Centri Boost, 9.3 compression, stock headers,off road midpipe and catback.

112.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Long runners favor low and mid-range, short: high-end

I don't think runner length is much of a factor in an FI applications as those engine don't rely on pulse ram effect like on an NA engine.

Here's a pic of my heavily ported 04 lower. It's was a lot of work but likely won't result in much gain but it sure is Purdy! :-D

PortedCobraintake8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread