Intake spacer question?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Only the dealership can tell you for sure. Some are ok with a couple of mods and some will bitch about the smallest thing.

However, I'd be surprised if any tech would know if it's there. And if they do notice it, I'd be even more surprised if they knew it wasn't stock.

Personally, I'd go for it without worry. I had an ext. warranty on my DSG so I was a tad cautious about mods. I had taken it in once for warranty work with the mods (prior to tune) and they had no problem looking into it. I even told them not to worry about it, that it needed a tune and they still looked at it. (took it in for something else and SES light was on so they looked into it). The factory told them it was a bad midpipe so they couldnt' work on it anymore. I had informed them of every mod I had before they touched it. They even called at one point to verify the mods and said it wasn't a problem if there were others and they just wanted to figure out the problem with the light.

They didn't listen about needing a tune and ended up losing all that time. I'm sure they booked it somehow though. Had CAI, Midpipe, catback and intake spacer on it.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
no way in hell they would notice an intake spacer, unless the tech was an avid mach 1 fan. in that case, i really dont think you would have anything to worry about.

black347monster

Established Member
yea just wondering. cuz these days the dealership will try there hardest to void your warranty. they'll find every little thing to bitch about.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
your dead wrong 100 in my pocket is the best mod :banana:
That's nto a mod. LOL

let me guess your vajayjay dyno told you that you gained 5hp?? :xpl:
Nope......but dyno before and aft shows increases of up to 14rw TORQUE.

that's what non-believers don't understand. it increase teh low end TQ band, along with peak TQ. But for those interested in bragging rights of HP, they wont' understand this mod.:shrug:

cobra916

Established Member
this sh*t just makes me laugh... every car that is able to be fitted with a spacer has some jack ass that makes them and claims they gain power.. if it makes soo much more tq with just a simple spacer ..why didnt ford just increase the volume themselves?? umm maybe there is a balance to things... why does nasvt sell short runner intakes with reduced volume??? umm maybe to keep volume close to stock???

cobra916

Established Member
That's nto a mod. LOL

Nope......but dyno before and aft shows increases of up to 14rw TORQUE.

that's what non-believers don't understand. it increase teh low end TQ band, along with peak TQ. But for those interested in bragging rights of HP, they wont' understand this mod.:shrug:

come on now mannn.. ive seen you all over the place on ford forums to ls1 forums.. you should know by now dont always buy into this internet bs.. even nazmans stock ported intakes dont make the 15hp and whatever tq either.. never seen a dyno to back that..there was a thread on here not too long ago about a before and after dyno with his intake... the guy was asking where did the power go?? but he did pick up some midrange that he was happy with. i wish all these mods did make crazy power like they claim.. then id put them on my car.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
come on now mannn.. ive seen you all over the place on ford forums to ls1 forums.. you should know by now dont always buy into this internet bs.. even nazmans stock ported intakes dont make the 15hp and whatever tq either.. never seen a dyno to back that..there was a thread on here not too long ago about a before and after dyno with his intake... the guy was asking where did the power go?? but he did pick up some midrange that he was happy with. i wish all these mods did make crazy power like they claim.. then id put them on my car.

So, it never occured to you that I may know what I'm talking about?...even just a little?

I KNOW the spacer increase low range adn peak TQ...how? The Throttle Stop. A shop owned by three guys STeve, Tim, and Aaron. They were up in your neck of the woods (Roseville). They tested darn near EVERY PRODUCT claimed for hte mach...C and L CAI, K and N CAI, JLT CAI, VARIOUS midpipe's, the Intake Spacer......Their Dyno..same day, same car, NOT EVEN RE-TUNED, just the intake spacer, increased 14 RWTQ. because they are no longer around, their website Mach1review is longer up. However I (and a fellow macher) have posted exerts from their article.

As for why Ford didn't do it?..IDK, why didn't ford use wider rims, why didn't they use a mach 1 specfic bumper?.....It's called FUNDS. Also, if ford has all the answers, why did they use the 4-threaded heads? Engineers are not perfect.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
lets get one thing straight... you stupid :loser:

you're right, im stupid for having tried to "break it down" for your stupid azz only for you to still not "get it".

as for why Ford didnt do it? they have alot of criteria that has to be met. CAFE regulations(which im not even going to TRY and explain to you) and also NVH regulations(also which im not going to explain to you).

go along thinking that you know everything. you're right, everyone else is wrong, the dynos are all wrong, and so is mathematics.:loser:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Here's the article. The Throttle Stop tuned my DSG mach....I've had the plessure of talkign to all three of them on numerous occasions. I was saddened to hear of their split. They were all great guys. I've even seen Steve's Mach on craigslist recently. Wish I could have picked it up.

PHP IntakeSpacerReview by Guest M1R Reviewer Steve Foley

The Paul’s High Performance intakespacerfor the Mach 1 is designed to increase runner length by increasing the distance between the intake cover and intake by means of a 3/8 inch spacer and gasket. This improves airflow, reduces restriction, and cools the incoming air charge. PHP reports gains of 4-8 RWHP/TQ with this spacer. The kit comes with an intakespacer, gasket and 5 new intake bolts.

The Mach 1 Review decided to put the spacer to the test at Apex Motorsports (www.apexmotorsports.com)in Santa Clara, CA. The Mach 1 used for this test has been modified with a K&N filter, 2 ½ in. Magnaflow high flow X pipe and 2 ½ in. Magnapack CAT Back. A baseline was obtained with these mods on Jan. 18th 2004 on the same dyno on a considerably colder day. The car also had its air box snorkel and MAF screen removed. The mileage on this car at the time was 7,000 miles. The mileage on the car at the time of the spacer test was 9,000 miles and the ambient temperature was much warmer. The air box snorkel and MAF screen was also in place at the time. The Mach 1 Review prides itself on reporting accurate and straightforward information, and that is why it has included the mileage/snorkel/screen difference on the test car.

The baseline dyno numbers were achieved with 3 pulls, and the results were a best of 285.9 RWHP and 295.6 RWTQ, both SAE corrected. The A/F ratio was a steady 12.5 throughout with a dip to 12.0 between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM’s. This RPM range also corresponds with the peak RWTQ numbers.

The spacertest numbers were achieved with 2 pulls, and the results were a best of 289.0 RWHP and 310.4 RWTQ. The A/F ratio was also a steady 12.5 for most of the pull, with a jump to 13.0 between 3,400-3,800 RPMS’s and a dip to 12.0 between 4,000-5000 RPM’s.
Overall the gains were 3.1 RWHP and 14.8 RWTQ. The RWTQ gains were highly welcomed, as the car seemed to have lost some low-end torque after the install of the high flow x and cat back.

Overall the installation takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on mechanical aptitude and experience. The shaker must be removed and it is highly recommended that the EGR assembly be removed as well, as this enables you to completely remove the upper intake. Others have tried installing the spacer without removing the EGR and this only allows you to lift the upper intake so far, causing you to slide the spacer and gasket in place. This leaves you to guess on whether or not it is properly aligned and in place. The kit comes with 5 intakebolts that are longer than the stock bolts. 2 bolts must be re-used, one that holds the throttle linkage mount and the other that is directly across from the throttle body. Simply remove the shaker/EGR valve, unbolt all 7 bolts from the intake spacer and lift the upper intake up and off. Place the spacer on top of the existing gasket and place the new gasket on top. Re-install in reverse order and there you have it.

While the Mach 1 review doesn’t like to subscribe to “butt-o-meter” results, the PHP spacer is definitely a seat of the pants mod. The Mach 1’s 32 Valve motor wakes up at 3,500 RPM and with the PHP spacer the car seems to pull harder from that point on and more low-end torque is definitely felt through the gears. No stalling issues arose from the installation of the spacer which seems to be common among other intake modifications."
_________________________________________________________________________________

I was wrong that it was the same day. It is a different day so the numbers are not the same as noted. However, I've had TWO of these spacers and Will Continue to stand by them. TQ is what you feel...it's that simple....and this is a TQ mod.

Where people are wrong....................they are so used to seeing HP increases, and not TQ increases that they think this is a crappy mod because you only get 3-5rwhp gain.....I'll say it again, THIS IS A TQ MOD, NOT AN HP MOD.

Last edited:

black347monster

Established Member
Once I install the intake spacer, can I race my car with the the bolt on's I got without a Tune or do I need to get a tune already?......... My mods are JLT cai ,slp LM1's catback, Mac o/r prochamber and intake spacer. thanx

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Once I install the intake spacer, can I race my car with the the bolt on's I got without a Tune or do I need to get a tune already?......... My mods are JLT cai ,slp LM1's catback, Mac o/r prochamber and intake spacer. thanx

To benefit from the mods and mazimize your dollars spent YES.

To be safe in regards to being lean?...only one way to find out. Call around to a few dyno shops and see how much a few sniffer runs with printout will cost you. IE: Double check your A/F. Some will tell you that you're fine, and some will say to get it tuned because you could be lean. I say pay the $150 or whatever and double check at the very least. Ideal for that car would be 12.8-13.1:beer:

rich1

Established Member
So, it never occured to you that I may know what I'm talking about?...even just a little?

I KNOW the spacer increase low range adn peak TQ...how? The Throttle Stop. A shop owned by three guys STeve, Tim, and Aaron. They were up in your neck of the woods (Roseville). They tested darn near EVERY PRODUCT claimed for hte mach...C and L CAI, K and N CAI, JLT CAI, VARIOUS midpipe's, the Intake Spacer......Their Dyno..same day, same car, NOT EVEN RE-TUNED, just the intake spacer, increased 14 RWTQ. because they are no longer around, their website Mach1review is longer up. However I (and a fellow macher) have posted exerts from their article.

As for why Ford didn't do it?..IDK, why didn't ford use wider rims, why didn't they use a mach 1 specfic bumper?.....It's called FUNDS. Also, if ford has all the answers, why did they use the 4-threaded heads? Engineers are not perfect.

I got 7hp and 10 flbsTq with a before Dyno and install Dyno sheets to prove it. Besides Pauls Hi- Performace did the same install in MMFF mag way back in 03. Cobra 916 is an idiot but too stupid to realize it ! Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread