Intake Spacer...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Thank you Anthony, a payment has been sent via paypal to [email protected] (Unique Transaction ID #88H42509F6474742C) for $105.00 for the 3/8" Intake Spacer & hardware.

I appreciate you taking the time to have these made!

I hope you all have a Safe and Happy Memorial Day!

The forecast for most of Georgia this weekend is Rain, Rain, and more Rain!

-Adam

Adam,
Payment received. You're very welcome, I'm happy to sell something that does what it's advertised to do.

Kansas is 90° and sunny. Happy Memorial Weekend everyone. :beer:

Thank you for your business,
Anthony
MIDCONTINENT MUSTANGS
(785)658-5921

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
tmhutch,

Here is a same day back to back dyno:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/596550-intake-spacers-revisited-4.html

Also shows gains across the entire rpm range

The thing is, there is a tremendous amount of inconsistency in the results from one car to the next. Unlike any other mod I've seen.

Heres some spacer history:

The dyno by 01bluesnake that you are referencing is unlike the dyno in this thread in that it has some variation between the gains made throughout the RPM range. In other words it's not linear. It picked up a small amount of power in the mid range, picked up big power between 5400 and 6400 and lost big power above 6500 RPM.
IntakeSpacerDynofor01bluesnake.jpg

The second graph of interest is the one posted by Jamie R. it picked up 12 HP around 4000 RPM. Began losing power by 5300 and by was down almost 15 hp at 6300 and beyond.
IntakeSpacerDynoforJamieR.jpg

Double"O" found that:

PHP Intake Spacer Dyno Results:
i did loose a consistant 3-8 RWHP from 2k up to 5700. Power did increase from 6400 to 6800 but +3-5.

I lost 4 TQ at peak and a 4-9 RWTQ from 2K to 6800

My A/F stayed pretty good

Interestingly he later reported picking up at the track. :shrug:

Before these results were posted in the forums, HISSMAN did a pretty good job of summing up the results that had accrued up to 2004. This was his summary:

I have talked to about 8 people that have used it, and 2 saw gains, of wich 1 saw great gains of about 8 hp and 5 tq. 4 saw no difference, and the other 2 which do not include anyone in this thread lost power

Cobrabrad posted G force tests from his G metre and found improvements almost everywhere.

I did an accelerometer run after the spacer install with a full tank of gas in bad weather. Here is a comparison to my previous fastest 0-60 run ever.
DENSITY ALTITUDE 8/1/08:1724
DENSITY ALTITUDE 5/20/09:2075
G FORCE EQUALIZATION POINT 34.16 MPH 1ST GEAR 5640 RPM

BEFORE AFTER
AVG. G'S 0-5 0.368372881 0.331075758 -10.12%
AVG. G'S 5-10 0.612540541 0.619416667 1.12%
AVG. G'S 10-15 0.613918919 0.661794118 7.80%
AVG. G'S 15-20 0.614421053 0.683363636 11.22%
AVG. G'S 20-25 0.625611111 0.6974375 11.48%
AVG. G'S 25-30 0.620648649 0.7140625 15.05%
AVG. G'S 30-35 0.633333333 0.669176471 5.66%
AVG. G'S 35-40 0.534487179 0.527119048 -1.38%
AVG. G'S 40-45 0.355142857 0.328414286 -7.53%
AVG. G'S 45-50 0.580179487 0.531088889 -8.46%
AVG. G'S 50-55 0.478583333 0.482361702 0.79%
AVG. G'S 55-60 0.432846154 0.441769231 2.06%
AVG. G'S 60-65 0.389152542 0.395403509 1.61%
AVG. G'S 65-70 0.314957746 0.330585714 4.96%

60 ft 2.193 60 ft 2.141
330 ft 5.758 330 ft 5.675
0-60 mph time 4.779 4.683

The results are crazy. Some lose power down low and pick up at the top. Some pick up power down low and lose at the top and some lose power or pick up power everywhere. I've had one of these spacers sitting in my garage for 6 years because I just dont know about the mod. Maybe I'll sneak it in on my next dyno session.

The dyno hasn't been recalibrated. Others have experienced similar gains.

TMHUTCH, you are in the same areas as I am. Feel free to call John at HPRanch and ask him about it if you are really skeptical. I have dyno'd there multiple times on multiple dyno days and have been consistantly the same hp thinking that maybe a change in temp outside or different weather conditions would change my numbers but I have been consistantly the same 299/300rwhp before the spacer.

It IS possible that this spacer was the cherry on top that made all of my other expensive modifications come together. Not even my headers would get me into the 300's any higher. Also, to note, there was a heads and cam Mach1 there that only made 305 rwhp. I think he was robbed by the shop who did the work (*not mentioning shop). Clearly, something was wrong with that car.

Yeh, it's a great dyno and I would love to get results half as good as those. I'll have to give it a shot and install the one I have.

BTW, TMHUTCH, where did you dyno to get 331HP/325TQ SAE with your current combination?

Turbo Technology in Tacoma. They're good about letting me swap parts and take my time tuning.

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've heard of Turbo Tech. Lots of pretty fast cars come out of there. You should definitely check out John's MD. It is very hard to make power on it. I've tried all kind of ways to make little bits of power there from changing to Royal Purple to changing fluids in the rear end and transmission, iridium plugs and other stupid small things. What can I say, I'm either a glutton for spending money for no good reason, or just hanging out on the dyno. But, needless to say, changing to Royal purple netted zero gains, lol.

One thing I've noticed with these engines is that power can seriously vary from car to car. I don't know if that was from the engines being hand built, maybe the cams aren't installed the same on all cars or something.

I've dyno'd side by side other 99/01 cars and we have been within 9-10hp of eachother. There was an 01 with just exhaust that put down about 304rwhp. Dyno'ing with the spacer is bound to vary depending on a ton of things. Of course, any modification will vary depending on those same ton of things. What can I say, it worked well for a few of us. If you own one, bolt it on, put about 20 miles on the engine, and then run her in. Bread is in the pudding.

One other thing, HP Ranch's dyno has a racing program. It allows you to run the 1/4. Super fun! I'm talking to John about putting on a race day to do some real bench racing.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
First things first, I am NOT a mechanical engineer, engine builder or have any experience with intake spacers. At this time, I am not for or against intake spacers.

I do however have interest is adding any simple mod that makes real power. I have also had positive results with items purchased from Anthony at Midcontinent Mustangs. So here is my question/thoughts.

It makes perfect sense to me that an engine can instantaneously make more power drawing from a larger volume of air within the intake (assumed to be true w/intake spacer). What I don't understand is that the air drawn from the intake must be continually replaced with external air at the same rate to maintain the power increase. Wouldn't the limiting factor of available air to the cylinders still be the Air Filter/MAF/Throttle Body(AFMTB) supply of air?

This is assuming that the stock AFMTB has a lower air flow rate than the stock intake. If the AFMTB had a higher air flow rate than the stock intake, then an intake spacer may increase available air to the cylinders and increase power. This further assumes that the restricting factor in the intake air flow rate is the volume between the upper and lower intakes pieces (the area increased by using the spacer).

On a side note, wouldn't a proper engine tune be needed to take full advantage on any improvement/change in air flow? Simple before and after dyno runs may not accurately show the potential improvement of the intake spacer.

Sorry about the long post

Last edited:

99vertcobra

Established Member
would these intake spacers be ok to use if you were running nitrous? id really like to get the 3/8 spacer if it would be ok to run with nitrous

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Adam,
I have you down for a 3/8" spacer. Pre-order offer is still good until 1 Jun '10

$105 Shipped ;-)

Paypal [email protected]

I'm also going to be including a 9"x7/16" rod to be used as a prybar on the EGR tube. That way there wont be any added expense of having to buy a pry bar or go hunting for something to tweak the EGR with.

Thank you, :beer:
Anthony
MIDCONTINENT MUSTANGS
(785)658-5921

Hi Anthony. Is the $105 for the 3/8" spacer & hardware good through 01Jun10? I'm travelling and using an insecure WiFi connection. I'll be home on Monday. Will that be too late to get the discount?
Thanks,
Jim

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Correct. $105 shipped is for the 3/8" spacer-5/8" total rise with gaskets. I have a spacer reserved for both you and 99vertcobra. The pre-order offer expires at 12am Tuesday, June 1st.

Paypal [email protected]

Thank you,
Anthony
MIDCONTINENT MUSTANGS
(785)658-5921

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey Anthony don't forget about me bro.. I hope you still have me down for a 1/2 spacer for the FI testing, which should be the biggest one that you offer :D.. btw when do I pay??

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I've heard of Turbo Tech. Lots of pretty fast cars come out of there. You should definitely check out John's MD. It is very hard to make power on it. I've tried all kind of ways to make little bits of power there from changing to Royal Purple to changing fluids in the rear end and transmission, iridium plugs and other stupid small things. What can I say, I'm either a glutton for spending money for no good reason, or just hanging out on the dyno. But, needless to say, changing to Royal purple netted zero gains, lol.

One thing I've noticed with these engines is that power can seriously vary from car to car. I don't know if that was from the engines being hand built, maybe the cams aren't installed the same on all cars or something.

I've dyno'd side by side other 99/01 cars and we have been within 9-10hp of eachother. There was an 01 with just exhaust that put down about 304rwhp. Dyno'ing with the spacer is bound to vary depending on a ton of things. Of course, any modification will vary depending on those same ton of things. What can I say, it worked well for a few of us. If you own one, bolt it on, put about 20 miles on the engine, and then run her in. Bread is in the pudding.

One other thing, HP Ranch's dyno has a racing program. It allows you to run the 1/4. Super fun! I'm talking to John about putting on a race day to do some real bench racing.

The variation in power is probably the result of a couple things. Mostly because of the big variation in camshaft timing that can vary as much at 8 degress from one engine to the next. Also, in 99 there was quite a bit of variation in casting quality in the cylinder heads and intake manifold. I dont know how much power these account for but I suppose maybe 10 or so.

I've heard a lot of good things about HP Ranch!

zPipes

Established Member
Hey do you still have me down for one? Oh, ya know what, in my original post a couple weeks ago I dont think i put a size. I would like the 3/8". I didnt realize you would have them so quickly, also do you need payment before shipping? Thanks for lettin me know.

**Afterthought.. Would I be able to get a few extra gaskets from you to hold on to in case they are needed in the future, depending on how much they are lol. How much would you sell them for? Or would you keep them in stock in the event someone needed to replace them?

Last edited:

edswhite99

Established Member
Anthony, I want to jump in in the spacer deal. I'd like a 3/8" spacer. I'll send payment after I hear back from you.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
no problem you should have my payment and shipping info in your inbox shortly.. thank you so much

craig

Craig,
Payment received. Thank you for your order.

That looks promising! Kind of odd though because it's not even close to a typical result for a spacer on a 99/01 car. Gains are usually zero to less than 5 for back to back same day dyno's. The way the horsepower and torque show almost identical gains from 2000 to redline looks more like a calibration change to the dyno (not intentional I'm sure) than anything else. That is not unusual for a Mustang dyno.

It would be nice to see a back to back same day dyno that showed an improvement. The concept seems like it should provide some gains but I have to reserve opinion until somebody does a qualified same day test that shows a gain.

Tim,
The customer dyno'd his car on a dyno he is on all the time with the spacer as the only mod and picked up good gains in HP and Tq. Corey's car has quite a few mods that help it breath better. Isn't it possible that the upper plenum was the restriction in his engine?

Dyno a stock engine, both before and after LT headers are installed. The stock engine won't gain near as much HP from the LT headers as an engine with a ported intake, ported heads and camshafts would.

So is it the LT headers fault that they didn't make as much HP on the stock engine, as they did on the modified engine?

Id like to know the mods on the cars that you say gained nothing and lost HP and the thickness of the intake spacer used?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Hey Anthony don't forget about me bro.. I hope you still have me down for a 1/2 spacer for the FI testing, which should be the biggest one that you offer :D.. btw when do I pay??

Chris,
I have the 1/2" spacers on order and should be able to pick them up by about the 8th of June. Payment can be made now for $5 off, $115 shipped.

Hey do you still have me down for one? Oh, ya know what, in my original post a couple weeks ago I dont think i put a size. I would like the 3/8". I didnt realize you would have them so quickly, also do you need payment before shipping? Thanks for lettin me know.

**Afterthought.. Would I be able to get a few extra gaskets from you to hold on to in case they are needed in the future, depending on how much they are lol. How much would you sell them for? Or would you keep them in stock in the event someone needed to replace them?

Rob,
I have you down for a 3/8 spacer 5/8" total rise. The OEM intake gaskets are $25 each my cost. You don't need to worry, the intake gaskets are indefinitely reusable. You wont need spares. The stock intake gasket is reused to install the intake spacer.

Anthony, I want to jump in in the spacer deal. I'd like a 3/8" spacer. I'll send payment after I hear back from you.

Ed,
I also have you down for a 3/8"- 5/8" total rise intake spacer.

Paypal can be made to

[email protected]

$105 on or before midnight 1 June, 10. When Memorial day is over the sale is over. Please add the 3% paypal fees. I usually include the Paypal fees in the price but I'm only a few dollars from being upside down on these spacers. I won't and can't sell them this cheap again. :burnout:

Everyone, the 3/8" thick 5/8" total rise intake spacers are all spoken for at this time. I still have 2- 1/2" 3/4" total rise spacers left unspoken for.

Thank you,
Anthony
MIDCONTINENT MUSTANGS
(785)658-5921

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread