Intercooler Pump Upgrades

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
After it's long winter slumber it seems like my stock IC pump doesn't want to wake up. Just like anything else, what's the fun in replacing something with a stock component when you can upgrade?

Looking at some of the more attainable upgrades, one of the first that comes to mind is the 13-14 GT500 IC pump that looks to flow close to 50% more than the stock Bosch unit. It appears to be a Piersburg CWA-50 that's also used in other applications, including BMWs. Likely due to volume, it's actually cheaper to buy the BMW branded unit. Has anyone given this a try? It looks to flow a lot more, much quieter and much cooler for not a lot more coin.

And if you're unsatisfied with that, the CWA-100 unit appears to be used in some Mercedes applications that's nearly double the output of the stock unit, albeit at a higher price. Though in this case I wonder if the restriction of the IC core isn't going to let it reach its true potential, and it comes at a higher premium.

Has anyone done these upgrades or have any suggestions on sourcing? Due to the high volumes of the BMW CWA-50 it looks like it can be very affordable.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I myself would like to know if he 13-14 GT500 unit would fit in our cars. That being said mine took a shit about a year and a half ago. I threw a Ford Racing one in. Believe there factory for the 07-12 GT500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soap

Established Member
You can find barely used 13-14 GT500 pumps for dirt cheap since so many guys upgrade to Davies Craig or Stewart pumps.

--Joe

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I am running the Lingenfelter Varimax Pump in mine. Its smaller than stock and fits in the stock location. Its a brushless motor and pumps like crazy. A lot of CTSV guys use them as upgrades over their stock pumps. Its been rock solid for me for 2 years now.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I myself would like to know if he 13-14 GT500 unit would fit in our cars. That being said mine took a shit about a year and a half ago. I threw a Ford Racing one in. Believe there factory for the 07-12 GT500’s.

I'm sure it can be done, there's plenty of real estate there. You would just need a new pigtail. Note: Ford versions are 2 -wire and do not have PWM functionality. BMW use at least 3, and have PWM functionality.

Just replace with the ford racing unit and be done
M-8501-MSVT

Keep them on the shelf at my shop, as they are moody as **** on the cobras

Yeah they do seem finicky, all the more reason I'm looking at other options. Plus I can use all the extra flow I can get with the compound setup. The flow of the CWA 100 would be awesome but are in the $350 neighborhood.

You can find barely used 13-14 GT500 pumps for dirt cheap since so many guys upgrade to Davies Craig or Stewart pumps.

--Joe

That is a great idea. Off to the classifieds it is.

I am running the Lingenfelter Varimax Pump in mine. Its smaller than stock and fits in the stock location. Its a brushless motor and pumps like crazy. A lot of CTSV guys use them as upgrades over their stock pumps. Its been rock solid for me for 2 years now.

Those look pretty good. They're a huge improvement over stock, but a hair under the CWA50, going by the Lingenfelter curves.

cj428mach

Established Member
Are any of these actually plug and play?

I have an intercooler at J2Fab getting modded and I hope to upgrade the rest of the cooling system some. I'm not going to cut into my factory wiring to splice on any plugs (I haven't done so yet so I'm not about to start). I'd really like something thats a direct replacement and doesn't require any hacking of the wiring harness.

Soap

Established Member
Are any of these actually plug and play?

I have an intercooler at J2Fab getting modded and I hope to upgrade the rest of the cooling system some. I'm not going to cut into my factory wiring to splice on any plugs (I haven't done so yet so I'm not about to start). I'd really like something thats a direct replacement and doesn't require any hacking of the wiring harness.

Nope, gotta cut and splice. Honestly once you get into the bigger pumps you need to run all new wires since the stock wires are only like 16 AWG and can't carry the amps.

--Joe

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
The Lingenfelter required some cutting and splicing. I’ll be running new wire for my trunk tank set up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
It’s hard to replace the pump ?
Its Under passenger side front bumper/fender area. Right place to work when bumper is on.

Check the IC reservoir on start up and see if fluid is flowing. If it's moving around it's working.

Or you can "jump" the relay in the engine bay next to intake while car is off and see if it starts working.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
So open the IC reservoir cap . Let some one or let some some watching while I turn the key on . Look for bubble in the ic ...

Soap

Established Member
Just start the car and let it run. You are in TX so it should come on right away (minimum IAT2 temp requirement satisfied in ECU).

--Joe

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
How you check if the pump went bad ?

Fairly common knowledge - jumper wire to run the pump...

Intercooler%20pump%20jumper.jpg

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Well in typical fashion, as soon as I got the bumper off to replace it, it was working again.

But when I finally kick the other Mustang out of the shop I think I'll go with the CWA-50 upgrade at the least. On the bright side this way I can get before/after IAT data.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Well it didn't take long. The Bosch IC pump gave out. I didn't even get any good IAT data. I've got a CWA 50 pump hooked up and just need a few minor pieces of hardware.

Any interest on documenting the upgrades?

Users who are viewing this thread